Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Finally Got my Pipe Organ Fixed!

Finally, after what seems like months (it was only two weeks) I got my "MIDIfied Pipe Organ" working again. In celebration, I would like to share an .mp3 recording of the first piece of music I played on it. It is my own arrangement of "God of Our Fathers." Caution! This is very loud as I pulled out practically all the stops on this. Positiv Manual: Trompette en chamadeGreat Manual: Tutti (this means everything!)Pedals: pedal reeds & bombardeGod of Our Fathers .mp3This is a customized Conn Artiste two manual, full pedalboard, MIDIfied console. It is powered by three P4 3.2 computers, running custom SoundFonts I have digitally recorded from some of the world's finest pipe organs.Because of cascading hardware failures, I had to pull the ancient Sound Blaster AWE64 cards because they are no longer supported by Vista (no driver for 'em!) I had to code my own SoundFont loader software so I could use the default on-board "sound card."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

BRAVO! :( Impressive sound! I grew with an organ and taught myself to play a number of songs by ear. I love classical organ...the effort required to play one is fantastic, and something I have always admired. Thanks for sharing this!

BRAVO! :( Impressive sound! I grew with an organ and taught myself to play a number of songs by ear. I love classical organ...the effort required to play one is fantastic, and something I have always admired. Thanks for sharing this!
I have a lot more, but I want to take some time to organize them on my ftp site and website.I have had to (re) arrange a lot of my interpretations for "One and Three/Fifths Hands and Two Feet..." Almost forty years ago I was attacked and lost the use of three fingers on my right (dominant) hand. Through a lot of practice, I've regained most of the use of my middle finger (finger-finger, it's very important!), so that's why I call it my "3/5ths hand." :(I was well on my way to becoming a classical organist, and had high hopes for a successful career as a professional. For a long time I managed to supplement my income by private tutoring, but there's not many who want to invest the time and money for private lessons any more...

Fr. Bill    

I love good pipe organ music and this was good Fr Bill. The first piece on Mannheim Steamroller's Four album is one I love to play. Something else I didnt' know about you.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I love good pipe organ music and this was good Fr Bill. The first piece on Mannheim Steamroller's Four album is one I love to play. Something else I didnt' know about you.
Just so no one thinks all I play is "bombastic," here's something a bit more pastoral and easy...http://n4gix.home.comcast.net/~n4gix/BWV663.mp3' target="_blank">Allein Gott in der H

Fr. Bill    

Guest zzmikezz
Finally, after what seems like months (it was only two weeks) I got my "MIDIfied Pipe Organ" working again. In celebration, I would like to share an .mp3 recording of the first piece of music I played on it. It is my own arrangement of "God of Our Fathers." Caution! This is very loud as I pulled out practically all the stops on this. Positiv Manual: Trompette en chamadeGreat Manual: Tutti (this means everything!)Pedals: pedal reeds & bombardeGod of Our Fathers .mp3This is a customized Conn Artiste two manual, full pedalboard, MIDIfied console. It is powered by three P4 3.2 computers, running custom SoundFonts I have digitally recorded from some of the world's finest pipe organs.Because of cascading hardware failures, I had to pull the ancient Sound Blaster AWE64 cards because they are no longer supported by Vista (no driver for 'em!) I had to code my own SoundFont loader software so I could use the default on-board "sound card."
You play very well, Bill. Nice arrangement, too.Slightly off topic but I thought you'd be interested to learn that I pioneered the business of pre-sequenced MIDI cover music beginning in 1987 -- Golden MIDI Music & Software, if you ever heard of us. Regrettably, the closest we came to liturgical organ music (of which yours is a fine example) was the incomparable Jimmy Smith soloing on his B-3 in "Walk The Dinosaur". :)

---------------------Bravo! Well done! The sub woofer bolted to my chair makes one spine tingle when the amp is turned up!Alex Reid

Slightly off topic but I thought you'd be interested to learn that I pioneered the business of pre-sequenced MIDI cover music beginning in 1987 -- Golden MIDI Music & Software, if you ever heard of us. Regrettably, the closest we came to liturgical organ music (of which yours is a fine example) was the incomparable Jimmy Smith soloing on his B-3 in "Walk The Dinosaur". :)
How very intersting! I rarely actually create MIDI files anymore, since I really prefer playing "live" and recording directly to "digital" (these days I do not use mics and actual digital recorder unless I'm on location at some other venue).Somehow that name does ring a bell with me though. :(
---------------------Bravo! Well done! The sub woofer bolted to my chair makes one spine tingle when the amp is turned up!Alex Reid
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I do love my pedals! Here's an arrangement for (mostly) pedals...Bach's marvelous pedal dance, Pedalexercitium in G minor (BWV 598)Bach wrote this for a student to practice the pedals. Beginning on Principals 16+8, there is an echo on the Pedal 8 Principal alone, then the 4' Octav is added and for the echo the 8 Principal is withdrawn; then the Mixtur is added as well as the restored Principal 8; for an echo effect the Mixtur is withdrawn. There is no mistaking the pedal reed entrance - restored Mixture + 16 Dulcian + 8 Trompet, with an echo which withdraws the Trompet. Finally, full pedal: the Skalmeje 4 (this is usually called a Schalmei) crowns the entire division

Fr. Bill    

Guest zzmikezz
How very intersting! I rarely actually create MIDI files anymore, since I really prefer playing "live" and recording directly to "digital" (these days I do not use mics and actual digital recorder unless I'm on location at some other venue).
We played essentially everything in live, track by track, take by take till we were satisfied with that track.I was our producer, and I did all the post-production. I don't play really play keyboards but I can appreciate the work of those who do, as you do, but even so with MIDI I could and did "punch in" to fix other people's stuff a bar or two at a time. (Of course I played only in C, using electronic transposition to make up for my inability to play. :( )Once in a while it was necessary to quantize a track or even a whole piece. In those situations we ran some special software I had written to go in and add live feel to the music by causing the notes to swim around in time a little bit. I also had special techniques for unquantizing drums.As to possibly having heard about us, our stuff was used as intermission music by Aerosmith, Howie Mandel, Hat Trick and (to my very great surprise) the German electronic music group Kraftwerk.I had more fun in that business than any other. Lost my shirt but had a great time!

I had more fun in that business than any other. Lost my shirt but had a great time!
Cool beans! I still manage to get invited to do an occasional live concert, usually when some church in the area has had their pipe organ rebuilt, and want to show it off to all the yokels... I mean, locals... no, I mean illiterati! :(MIDI is the means by which I've interfaced the keyboards and pedals to the computers. I do occasionally use my Cakewalk software to generate sheet music of compositions or arrangements, but haven't done so in several years.

Fr. Bill    

Aaaah... this has been an enjoyable evening of simming, foruming and listening to pipe organ music played well. Thanx Fr Bill,you've got another music fan.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Cool beans! I still manage to get invited to do an occasional live concert, usually when some church in the area has had their pipe organ rebuilt, and want to show it off to all the yokels... I mean, locals... no, I mean illiterati! :(MIDI is the means by which I've interfaced the keyboards and pedals to the computers. I do occasionally use my Cakewalk software to generate sheet music of compositions or arrangements, but haven't done so in several years.
Beautiful Bill! Don't get me started on Bach and his organ music..what a privilege. When I saw his church and grave in Leipzig it was an experience...Do you want to do the Vitali Chaccone sometime?!

Guest zzmikezz
I do occasionally use my Cakewalk software to generate sheet music of compositions or arrangements, but haven't done so in several years.
Back in the day I knew Greg Hendershott, the Cakewalk author, quite well since Cakewalk was one of the sequencers we supported, and he was just starting out. Regrettably he got fairly snooty as the bucks began to roll in, forgetting who his friends were. (If you're reading this, Greg, you know exactly what I'm talking about, yes?)But tell us, n4gix... Have you ever been to the Mormon Tabernacle? To hear their organ, that is? In recordings it sounds incredibly good for something that large. (Or do I have it backwards -- large==better?)

Beautiful Bill! Don't get me started on Bach and his organ music..what a privilege. When I saw his church and grave in Leipzig it was an experience...Do you want to do the Vitali Chaccone sometime?!
I'm familiar with this, but haven't been able to locate an organ transcription. All I've found so far (doing a brief search) is one for violin and piano.http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0270471/details.htmlI gather then that you are a concert violinst? I seem to recall you mentioned that some months ago.While composing this reply, I've been listening to Jascha Heifetz performing this with organ... Stunningly beautiful!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AK5lJFhrQ4

Fr. Bill    

Back in the day I knew Greg Hendershott, the Cakewalk author, quite well since Cakewalk was one of the sequencers we supported, and he was just starting out. Regrettably he got fairly snooty as the bucks began to roll in, forgetting who his friends were. (If you're reading this, Greg, you know exactly what I'm talking about, yes?)But tell us, n4gix... Have you ever been to the Mormon Tabernacle? To hear their organ, that is? In recordings it sounds incredibly good for something that large. (Or do I have it backwards -- large==better?)
Sadly no, I've not been able to visit there, and given both the state of the economy as well as my penurious status, it isn't likely to happen. Ever. :( Although I never met Greg, I too am familar with the "snootiness" you mention. I began using Greg's Cakewalk when he was still beta testing the first DOS shareware program. Once it became a commercial enterprise though, suddenly I was no longer important enough to warrant further notice... :(

Fr. Bill