Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tony_A

FS9/COF - What I am REALLY looking for!

Greetings everybody,I've been reading all those posts during the last weeks/months regarding the upcoming FS9/Century Of Flight with great interest.However, I am noticing that most of the questions are about AI Traffic, build in ATC, Scenery etc.I may be thinking different but that's not what I'm looking for in FS9.What I want is better simulated experience and in order to achieve that I give more points to the following areas:1. Aircraft systems simulated. Any change on these? Are hydralics, pneymatics and electrics PROPERLY simulated?2. Are the flight models any better?3. Weather. I am happy to read that the weather has indeed been improved.4. Proper ground handling simulation. Slippery runways when ice exists. Correct ground friction.5. Improved multiplayer capabilities without limiting the number of players.Nice looking scenery is welcome, but IMHO there are great scenery designers out there that with the proper tool(s) can make miracles.What I would like to see on this side however, are more landmarks, monuments, natural landmarks etc... After FS98 there is a great lack of those!Not to create a flame or anything... Just my personal thoughts.George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

George, I agree,I want all of these things+More. But when it comes down to it,M$ can only be expected to produce a platform for which the great freeware and payware developers can build onto.1) This can already be done with the correct programming knowledge.E.g PMDG'S upcoming FS2002/Fs2004 737NG, PIC767,Wilco's A320PIC(minus the FPS& Bugs)2) Again,we cant expect much from the default models can we(being realistic),I'd rather they focus on more important matters as weather,ATC,visual effects and black box features which allow the developers of payware/freeware do more3)Already being done ;)4) Yes. Something which needs attention-good point.5) True,but is it really that important?(In the larger scheme of things)I agree with you on the scenery front,and I dont think M$ is trying to match the freeware/payware developers cos they know thats impossible... new textures,taxiway signs,better autogen are about the best we can hope for. Which is good if there isnt any addon scenery out there for a specific airport and we must rely on the Defualt ( :-erks )RegardsJohnhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk 680Hours ;)P 2.53 GHZ512 RAMWINXPGFORCE 4 128MB Ti4600http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

I keep a running list of items that I would like to see improved on and scenery is a very small part of that list. ATC and Lighting are the two things that I've found could be looked into to improve any future releases of Flight sim.AI improvement suggestions:1) Ability to fly non-direct routes. Benefits would allow for simmers to create

That's an impressive piece of work!Nice job.Although some of the items are airport specific (like the green centerline lights) and are made according to the published charts, the list is very informative.However, I don't expect Microsoft to get into so much detail.One important visual clue that just crossed my mind are the runway markings. In USA those are made with the FAA standard...In the rest of the world they are painted according to the ICAO standard. An example are the threshold piano keys. The FAA standard says 4 stripes per side for a 45m wide runway, while the ICAO standard calls for 6 stripes per side for the same 45m wide runway.I will agree that FS is more like a platform.George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

>6) Allow for the auto brake to be configurable for increments>and decrements hotkeys or joystick assignments.Don't remember about FS7, but for sure it was already there in FS8. Just have a closer look at the keyboard assignments list.Etienne :-wave

will take a look. Thanks for the heads up. Anything that I can remove from my list is all the better.Kilstorm

hi guyshow about anti-aliasing gauges :-) . I think this feature is very important, or has it been added already?

>1. Aircraft systems simulated. Any change on these? Are>hydralics, pneymatics and electrics PROPERLY simulated?>2. Are the flight models any better?Probably nothing new in those areas. It is not even listed as part of FS2004 highlights. To get the best in aircraft simulation you have to go outside of the 'box'. That's the fact of life and I have no problem with it.Yes, if they fixed the friction bug - would be nice but slippery runways - I woudn't count on it, maybe in 2006 ...Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

That's an impressive list you got there Kilstorm, I share with you ALL of your wishes and one more, FPS friendly (at least 20 fps in a low end machine like mine :-lol hmmmm what a dream ;( ). Definently a great suggestion list.For what I've read, some of the suggestions mentioned above are already in FS-COF, but I don't think we will have ALL of them in this edition. Remember, they are in Beta now, fixing bugs, tweaking a little, not adding new features. I hope I'm wrong, that would make the PERFECT sim...Now, judging from the screenshots recently posted coming from a very low end machine (no offence here Tom :-hah ) and the features listed in FS-COF web site, FS-COF is good enough for me to buy it. This new sim is definitely a new/better sim, I think is not a patch like some people have said. That is called evolution, things get better from one released to another, sometimes the improvement is bigger (FS2000 --> FS2002), sometimes is smaller (FS2002 --> FS2004 and I'm speculating here), but it is an improvement/evolution.Carlos.

Why post these wish lists here? I think a better use for them would be to email them to MS don't you? Letting us know what your wishes are will net you zero results in achieving those wishes. A more appropriate email to MS entailing those wishes would stand a better chance of them coming to fruition.

>Why post these wish lists here? I think a better use for them>would be to email them to MS don't you? Letting us know what>your wishes are will net you zero results in achieving those>wishes. A more appropriate email to MS entailing those wishes>would stand a better chance of them coming to fruition.I can't answer your question for Kilstorm, but...Microsoft is developing FS-COF for the whole flight sim community not only for Kilstorm. I think it was a great gesture to post this great list here, that opens the opportunity for us to reply and show our agreement with the idea and hence make it not only a one person

Well...The original post was not meant to be a wish list. After all it's too late for that now. And it was, it would be verrrry long!...It's more a question I do to myself (or anyone who can answer). What has changed INTO FS9 appart from the yadayada MS Marketing tells us about?AI is nice, improved ATC? Great... What else?... A new DC3, ok... a few more planes...But appart from that? What's new as a SIMULATOR? Get my point? :-)George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

On your Flight Planner #1 issue - is it not enough that in FS2002 you can already specify any parking spot at the departure airport? Or do you want to specify your arrival spot as well?Take care,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_( this he")_x_x___

"What's new as a SIMULATOR?"A pretty Comprehensive weather system+older features being fixed or imporoved. Provided the price is right-its' got my vote ;)And to be honest George,you're post was and still is looking for wish lists...especially with a Topic subject of: "FS9/COF - What I am REALLY looking for! ".And as for the person who stores a wish list-may I ask why you would store your incredibly long list? Specifically for topics like this ;) No offence intended...RegardsJohnhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk 685Hours ;)P 2.53 GHZ512 RAMWINXPGFORCE 4 128MB Ti4600http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

I would like to see a terminal selection of available terminals, Ga Parking and Cargo where its offered. So if your flight has you arriving into Boston Logans you would have these options:Terminal A (I know its under repairs but will be rebuilt soon although from one screenshot of 2004 in BOS it did look like there was no Terminal A)Terminal BTerminal CTerminal DTerminal EGA parking NorthGA parking SouthCargoNever being offered an actual spot like a gate or GA parking spot but just an area. That way a cessna wont be getting told to park at a gate or a Cargo plane can go to the Cargo area. Kilstorm

George,It was not meant for you but for the itemized list of 77 wishes below yours.

Darn Kilstorm- that a heck of a list. I think I am going to copy and save that one. Great job.Robb

No offence taken John. This list that I have has been sent to MS from time to time however, during an interview with MS it was stated that they do read these forums. Intstead of email MS this late into this version which they already have received I would prefer to throw out this list on occassion to fellow simmers to get feedback as to what others think. In my list I do not say that these are must or I wont buy nor am I speaking for anyone more than myself. However, I added the whole international suggestions from a reply to this list once as well as the sea plane ideas. If by chance a high amount of simmers agree with by replying to this list once and awhile then theres a good chance MS will do what they did for this version and consider including items that have been found to have generated a high postive response. I got to take a lot of items off this list after reading and seeing the new features coming out in COF. Additionally this list might also spark a 3rd party designer to take it upon him/her self and to their own financial advantage and produce software that has generated an interest at MS desire not to include. Saving a draft of one or one thousand suggestions is just a simple click on the computer. Its not like I got it framed in gold surrounded by candles or something. As a voice we spoke of the things that we felt were a must need to make 2002 a better sim and MS seems to have made a great effort to give us those items. Weather being a big one. So now we have a new weather engine with a good amount of eyecandy so how about considering items that make the next sim closer to the needs of real flight like PCL, FSS, and ATC that have bad days. Anytime I hear a suggestion that I havent thought about I add it to the list. Good thing is I've found that I dont add so much anymore and have taken away alot with the CoF features listed.Kilstorm

Funny how some poeple think that if the next version doesnt have an obseen amount of new features its considered a patch.Kil~

>Funny how some poeple think that if the next version doesnt>have an obseen amount of new features its considered a patch.>>Kil~Yeah, it's funny. In the mean time I will enjoy a lot this NEW FS2004 as I have enjoyed each one of the sims since ATP Simulator.Carlos.

IMHO that looong list that was published in this thread is very well done and helpfull.John, I think you got me wrong. I am not against anyone posting wish lists. On the contrary, from wish lists we can learn if any of the subjects have been addressed or not. All I said is that my own original post was more of a questioner and not a wish list.The improved weather system is enough for me to upgrade to FS2004.MS marketing are publishing a number of key-points of each version in order to attrack clients. Those published are not all the features. They are selected from a long list so that they can have the best influence on as many potential clients as possible.What I am looking for is what Tom does... An insider view of some other fixes and/or improvements made in each version. I know it may be still too early and the beta testers are still under NDA so I count on AVSIM for the best possible preview.Even a slight improvement like, for example, the slats are now operating in correct sequence with the flaps, would be great. I fly MSFS since version 3, so expecting each new version is thrilling.George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Guys Dont get me wrong,I'm all for the lists. But I reckon keeping them shorter and more concise will probably get them noticed more. M$ have a lot of forums to get through,Posting a huge list-no matter how feasible will probably result in m$ not seeing the key points you're trying to make.My Wish list?Ground friction enabledPerhaps providing ways for Vatsim/IVAO etc intergration(black box feature)a few other things,but it looks like M$ got a few of these "little things" already in the next version ;)RegardsJohnhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk 650Hours ;)P 2.53 GHZ512 RAMWINXPGFORCE 4 128MB Ti4600http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Well guys, they recon it took God 7 days and nights to create the World and all its creatures (pretty good effort, I think) and I know that MS isn't God, so whatever MS puts out that improves on FS2K2 I will most probably buy and use. Whatever it turns out to be will be the result of a long period of testing and experimetation by MS. These guys aren't fools, they are in it for the money and have most certainly been monitoring the feedback from all the forums. What I like most about the FS is, these forums and the people who spend endless hours producing and distributing their contributions of new aircraft, aircraft repaints, scenery, panels, gauges, etc. and, probably more importantly, the people who have the knowledge and ability to produce and distribute the programs that make it possible for the rest of us to try our hand at a repaint or scenery file. Whatever MS has produced and is about to distribute, I will probably be "blown away" by, but I am sure that in 6 to 12 months time, I will be bloody-well amazed by some of the stuff put out by these unsung heroes. ............... Tony