Sign in to follow this  
tfm

Effect of RAM speed & timing on FSX performance

My bad for the continuous posts, but for instance, this memory I've been eyeing, how do you tell if it is correct specs etc? And if on a P6T mobo and i7 920 you would be able to get to 4.0GHz + on the CPU?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...ushkin%20998692

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Nick_N
My bad for the continuous posts, but for instance, this memory I've been eyeing, how do you tell if it is correct specs etc? And if on a P6T mobo and i7 920 you would be able to get to 4.0GHz + on the CPU?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...ushkin%20998692
That would be the memory you would want and not have to deal with any excessive QPI voltage in a higher clock with DDR3 2000Note that Intel specs 1.37 as max in the white papers however 1.42 is completely safe assuming airflow is goodNot all users are getting to DDR3 2000 on QPI 1.37 to 1.42, some are required to exceed 1.42 and run 1.60-1.65v. This applies heat to the system which can not be monitored and therefore presents a degeneration factor. Time, as in the life of the proc, becomes questionable. A user could be reducing the life of their processor by 50% or greater depending on the circumstances by running a 1.60v QPI/DRAM. As mentioned above my Intel contact questions this practice which is why I do not suggest QPI/DRAM above 1.424GHz - As long as you are running a HSF that can do the job with a good airflow in the tower, absolutelyThose sticks are the same as these.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820226050The ones you linked have better heatsinks and limit the number of sticks that can be used to 3

Ok and finally:Is there a guide to all the acronyms lol? In my line of work there are a ton of acronyms but the computer ones on these forums tend to get past me much more easilyI did read that link from Jordanal's signature - it was basically an OCing guide using the Asus P6T with a 920 to get it to 4GHzBut a lot of the settings were confusing.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Nick_N
Ok and finally:Is there a guide to all the acronyms lol? In my line of work there are a ton of acronyms but the computer ones on these forums tend to get past me much more easilyI did read that link from Jordanal's signature - it was basically an OCing guide using the Asus P6T with a 920 to get it to 4GHzBut a lot of the settings were confusing.
That was a basic guide.. there can be minor differences if what is posted will not obtain a stable result ie; ICH Voltage and IOH Voltage CPU PLL VoltageIf you are asking about those settings names.. that is how they appear in the BIOS so to answer your question.. if you follow the BIOS and the list you will see exactly where to make the changes. And DO heed the warnings about the voltage range postedYou will need to verify your setup by load testing correctly to assure the system is running 80c or less under a full loadEDIT: As a side note and not to go OT.. I just received one of these.. http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/pro...x-14-intel.htmlI will get it installed this weekend with a 2 fan 'push-pull' flow setup and see how it performs

Sheesh I'm guessing its a monster?!? What case do you have?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

The IFX-14 is the best HSF on the market, at least according to Xbit labs. It doesn't get much press though, seems Thermalright's old standby Ultra Extreme (TRUE) gets all the attention. I think the sheer size of the IFX-14 limits its applications. Not many mobos can accommodate.Dual 140mm fans ought to do the trick. 3 fans are doable but not worth it as the additional turbulence tends to decrease cooling efficiency.

Guest Nick_N
Sheesh I'm guessing its a monster?!? What case do you have?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811163091Except I ordered a silver/aluminum version directly without the clear plex side.. I prefer the natural aluminum/stainless look and completely enclosedI also changed the fans that came with it to quiet/more efficient in CFM and managed the airflow to run most effficient for the use with the TRUE

Guest Nick_N
The IFX-14 is the best HSF on the market, at least according to Xbit labs. It doesn't get much press though, seems Thermalright's old standby Ultra Extreme (TRUE) gets all the attention. I think the sheer size of the IFX-14 limits its applications. Not many mobos can accommodate.Dual 140mm fans ought to do the trick. 3 fans are doable but not worth it as the additional turbulence tends to decrease cooling efficiency.
Mr Lepilov is one of the few people on the net who I trust to deliver well thought out fair/accurate resultsI was glad when I saw Thermalright split the heatpipe fins. That was one of my first thoughts when I started using the TRUE a long time ago. In my old lab days (60's and early 70's) we would make our own heatsinks for prototype designs which consisted of mostly bondo and aluminum LOL Number of fins, their surface to air contact area, and, splitting the fins laterally in a calculated distance from the heat source based on material in use (and its thermal transfer properties), always nets a better result in thermal transfer from component to air

Mr Lepilov is one of the few people on the net who I trust to deliver well thought out fair/accurate resultsI was glad when I saw Thermalright split the heatpipe fins. That was one of my first thoughts when I started using the TRUE a long time ago. In my old lab days (60's and early 70's) we would make our own heatsinks for prototype designs which consisted of mostly bondo and aluminum LOL Number of fins, their surface to air contact area, and, splitting the fins laterally in a calculated distance from the heat source based on material in use (and its thermal transfer properties), always nets a better result in thermal transfer from component to air
I'm ordering this thing tomorrow. Had been eyeballing it since last week. Anyone have a fan to suggest for it? I'm not one who likes much noise, but I want my new processor nice and cool at 4Ghz.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811163091Except I ordered a silver/aluminum version directly without the clear plex side.. I prefer the natural aluminum/stainless look and completely enclosedI also changed the fans that came with it to quiet/more efficient in CFM and managed the airflow to run most effficient for the use with the TRUE
Nick, what exactly did you change? Did you change to a different brand of fan, more fans and what did you do to affect the airflow.I really value your opinion. You are most knowledgeable and I appreciate you sharing your vast knowledge with us.Thanks,Alan

Ok but I thought I read somewhere that the DDR3 2000 sticks were having issues with a lot of the motherboards out there today?
My solution is to run 1600MHz Mushkin Redline at 1708 MHz at 6-6-5-18-1T timings (142 MHz BCLK and 12x mem mult)--which it does all day long at stock 1.65v. That's very close to the same latency and bandwidth as the 2000 MHz stuff at CAS 7, without having to push the QPI (a part of the CPU that isn't thermally monitored or protected) all the way to 4 GHz.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest Nick_N
My solution is to run 1600MHz Mushkin Redline at 1708 MHz at 6-6-5-18-1T timings (142 MHz BCLK and 12x mem mult)--which it does all day long at stock 1.65v. That's very close to the same latency and bandwidth as the 2000 MHz stuff at CAS 7, without having to push the QPI (a part of the CPU that isn't thermally monitored or protected) all the way to 4 GHz.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
+1 :(

Guest simjunkie
I've got the Redline Ascents 6-6-5-18 and I'm going to have to try that. Right now I run 30 x 133 and 1600 on the dot. I'm going for that Bclock in the low 140's to get the memory speed up...hopefully with the same timings. I'll have to drop my multiplier to 29 because my 965 doesn't like anything over 4.2GHz-jk

Guest Nick_N
Nick, what exactly did you change? Did you change to a different brand of fan, more fans and what did you do to affect the airflow.I really value your opinion. You are most knowledgeable and I appreciate you sharing your vast knowledge with us.Thanks,Alan
We are kinda getting OT here and I dont want to do that with Tims thread any more than I have (sorry Tim) however if you give me a day or so I will PM you with the information. Please remind me in PM if you do not get a message within a few days.
I've got the Redline Ascents 6-6-5-18 and I'm going to have to try that. Right now I run 30 x 133 and 1600 on the dot. I'm going for that Bclock in the low 140's to get the memory speed up...hopefully with the same timings. I'll have to drop my multiplier to 29 because my 965 doesn't like anything over 4.2GHz-jk
Since that falls in line with the discussion, see Bobs excellent report .. I reposted it belowThere can be more to stable operation than the basic voltage changes most clocking sites suggest..
OK, here's another look at the beast known as the i7 975. And what a beast it is.Bottom line, my best OC with the 975 on ~20 deg water was stable for an hour on OCCT at 4.54 GHz, with core temps in the mid 50s. A couple brief excursions to 56 deg was the max temp I saw on water at any speed. At 4.54GHz, the limiting factor was Intel's absolute max Vss of 1.55v-the board was reporting 1.50v, close enough to the wall that I watched it on an oscilloscope to be sure. 4.27 GHz looks like the sweet spot, after that the expected parabolic ramp-up in voltage per clock increase occurs. But 4.27 GHz with core voltage below the recommended 1.375v and temps in the mid 40s looks like one heck of a platform to build on. And 4.4 is still doable with core voltage elevated a bit to 1.4 volts and temps around 50 deg C. Can't wait to get FS9/FSX loaded up on the SSD today.The system config and full range of specs and settings is below. The biggest difference between my system and Mike's is I built a custom water-cooling system for the CPU--an external tower with two triple-fan 360mm XSPC radiators, a Swiftek MCP655 pump, and a Swiftech GTZ "special" (all-metal) water block, all connected by half-inch Tygon tubing. The engineering design spec was for a max inlet temp of 5 deg C above ambient--it has exceeded that, and runs at +2 deg at moderate overclocks to a max of +4 deg C after an hour at the max OC. Ambient temp in my basement hobby room was 18-19 deg C (64-68 deg F). The loaded core temps at 4.54GHz were the same as the Intel stock cooler at 3.33GHz!The Mushkin Redline DRAM performs superbly. It's rated at CAS 6 (6-6-5-18-1T) at 1600 MHz, and I was able to run it at 1704 MHz at the same timings, including a 1T command clock--not having to drop to 2T is huge. I first started with 12GB and could not get the RAM to run faster than 1333 MHz with a 2T command clock and a pretty wide tRFC...that experiment failed.The Cooler Master HAF932 case has enormous (and whisper-quiet) 230mm fans in the lower front (blows across drive bay), side (blows onto mobo), and top (exhaust). I think many folks forget about cooling the rest of the system when going to water, and I opted for an extremely well-vented case in addition to keeping the water plant external (keeps most of the potential leak points outside the PC, and allows good airflow to the rest of the PC). In fact, the only thermal parameter that wasn't wonderful was the temp on the voltage regulator, which reached 70 deg C at the max OC, and hovers around 60 most of the time. I'm still looking at that one. System config:Intel i7 975EE processoreVGA X58 3X SLI motherboard (158-BL-E758-A1)3x2GB Mushkin Redline 998729 rated @ 1600 MHz 6-6-5-18-1TeVGA GTX285 1185-AR video card (2GB & not factory overclocked)PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910W single-rail power supply300GB Western Digital Velociraptor 10,000 RPM HDD160GB Intel X-25M SSDCreative Labs Audigy 2 ZS PCI sound cardCooler Master HAF932 case (3x230mm and 1x140mm fans)Test configs (all stable for at least 1 hr on OCCT v3.1.0):Voltage settings Auto except as listed. Vdimm was 1.65v for all tests. "without Vdroop" selected--mobo bumps voltages to counteract VdroopNumbers in parens are actual observed valuesHT and Turbo disabled3.33 GHz (stock) on Intel stock coolerBCLK 133CPU Mult 25CPU Vcore Auto (1.29v)CPU VTT Auto (+200mv)QPI PLL Vcore 1.325vQPI 6.4GT/sIdle Temps 30Load temps 523.83GHz on water (300 liters/hr, 6 fans at 35CFM each)BCLK 142RAM 1704 MHz at 6-6-5-18-1T (12x/2:12 mult)CPU Mult 27CPU Vcore Auto (1.35v)CPU VTT Auto (1.41v)QPI PLL Vcore 1.325vQPI 6.8GT/sIdle Temps 30Load temps 42 peak 454.27GHz on water (300 l/h, 6x35 CFM)BCLK 142RAM 1704 MHz at 6-6-5-18-1TCPU Mult 30CPU Vcore 1.31875v (1.33v idle, 1.35v load)CPU VTT Auto (1.41v)QPI PLL Vcore 1.325QPI 6.8GT/sIdle Temps 30Load temps 43 peak 464.4GHz on water (300l/h, 6x35 CFM)BCLK 142RAM 1704 MHz at 6-6-5-18-1TCPU Mult 31CPU Vcore 1.35625v (1.38v idle, 1.4v load)CPU VTT +250mv (1.44v)QPI PLL Vcore 1.325QPI 6.8GT/sIdle Temps 35Load temps 48 peak 514.54GHz on water (300 l/h, 6x35cfm and 500 l/h, 6x90cfm)BCLK 142RAM 1704 MHz 6-6-5-18-1TCPU Mult 32CPU Vcore 1.4875v (1.49 idle, 1.5 load)CPU VTT +325 mv (1.6v)QPI PLL Vcore 1.35vQPI 6.8GT/sIdle Temps 37Load temps 54 peak 56 (low cooling flow) 51 peak 53 (high flow)CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Guest Nick_N
I'm ordering this thing tomorrow. Had been eyeballing it since last week. Anyone have a fan to suggest for it? I'm not one who likes much noise, but I want my new processor nice and cool at 4Ghz.
I was answering another post and mixed yours up with someone wanting to know about fans for the Prolimatech Megahalems which uses 120mm fans.. sorry and this is a bit OT as well but I will go ahead and post what I ordered...Keep in mind I cant vouch for it yet as I have not used it.. however the design peeked my interest as well as seeing the benchmark result posted at xbitIn this case you will need to work with 3pin instead of 4pin PWM fans.. that unit is most efficient with 2 (push-pull) but one will also work of it has the ability to move airhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E168351292482 of those will do it with very low dB rating @ 19.6 dBA eachWhat I did was order 2 of these to starthttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835233031I cant stand lights but that unit has the best CFM rating with the lowest dB at 16dBAI also ordered one of thesehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835185080to experiment with a single fan which will require tie-wraps to attach but the flow rating and RPM interest me for a single unit.