Sign in to follow this  
ribenn

FS9 Disappears during Building Database

I have FS9.1. I have been adding scenery manually several years now. I would install the scenery,run FS9 and add the reference to the Scenery Library, then restart FS9. I think since the update,starting FS9 would pop up the "Building Database for New Scenery" window, then FS9 would disappear. I would restart and it would run fine. This would happen only when I made changes. Never did figure this one out.This time I installed a small scenery package about 18K to take a look at. Addon Scenery/'airport name'/scenery.Now, the screen showing "Building Database for New Scenery" and FS9 disappears everytime I start it. I can't get pass this point.I have read through several posts here and have done the following:Verified the directory path is correct. Made copies of config files.Thru FS9 configurator, changed ACTIVE=TRUE to FALSE - (no change)Removed actual scenery directory - (no change)Removed the reference to this scenery in the scenery.cfg - (no change)Tried using the oldscenery.cfg changed to scenery.cfg - (no change)Tried using a scenery.cfg backed up a year ago - (no change)Deleted scenery.dat files - (no change)Used FSTscenery and created a new scenery.cfg - (no change)Even tried a backed up FS9.cfg - (no change) Does anybody has any ideas as to what else to look at before I decide to delete all of FS9 and start over??Thanks for any help.Rich

Please don't delete your current installation of Flight Simulator, it's probably not necessary. This may take a couple of tries but do this first. Delete your FS9 user folder, (not your Flight Simulator 9 folder), and try to start flight simulator again. The folder you will be deleting is in the following location so make sure your not killing off your flight simulator 9 installation or you will be re-installing Flight Simulator :)Delete this folder and try to restart Flight Simulator...."C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9"Let us know what happens!Mark

Please don't delete your current installation of Flight Simulator, it's probably not necessary. This may take a couple of tries but do this first. Delete your FS9 user folder, (not your Flight Simulator 9 folder), and try to start flight simulator again. The folder you will be deleting is in the following location so make sure your not killing off your flight simulator 9 installation or you will be re-installing Flight Simulator :)Delete this folder and try to restart Flight Simulator...."C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9"Let us know what happens!Mark
Thanks for the reply. I moved the FS9 folder to a Temp directory. I started FS9 - first got the "Incompatable Aircraft or Software, File: FSSSound.dll" which I expected. I said "yes" to add it. It then went thru the "Building Database for New Scenery" and it disappears. Restarted FS9 - same thing. Started the whole process again and said "No" to the FSSSound.dll -same thing. I noticed the FS9 folder was recreated which cointained Facilities folder, SceneryCache folder, blank fs9.cfg, navlog0 file.

Thanks for the reply. I moved the FS9 folder to a Temp directory. I started FS9 - first got the "Incompatable Aircraft or Software, File: FSSSound.dll" which I expected. I said "yes" to add it. It then went thru the "Building Database for New Scenery" and it disappears. Restarted FS9 - same thing. Started the whole process again and said "No" to the FSSSound.dll -same thing. I noticed the FS9 folder was recreated which cointained Facilities folder, SceneryCache folder, blank fs9.cfg, navlog0 file.
This sounds like a scenery.cfg file problem.Find Hans Hartmann's "Scenery Configuration Manager" utility, and see if you can open the scenery.cfg and re-order the entries and write the file out anew. You might also consider removing that last scenery you installed.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Just in case you need it, I've pasted a copy of the default FS9 scenery.cfg file here...it's kind of long...sorry mods!Mark[General]Title=FS9 World SceneryDescription=FS9 Scenery DataClean_on_Exit=FALSE[Area.001]Title=Default TerrainLocal=Scenery\WorldRemote=Active=TRUERequired=TRUETexture_ID=1Layer=1[Area.002]Title=Default SceneryLocal=Scenery\BASERemote=Active=TRUERequired=TRUELayer=2[Area.003]Title=AfricaLocal=Scenery\AfriRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=3[Area.004]Title=AsiaLocal=Scenery\AsiaRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=4[Area.005]Title=AustraliaLocal=Scenery\AustRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=5[Area.006]Title=Eastern EuropeLocal=Scenery\EURERemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=6[Area.007]Title=Western EuropeLocal=Scenery\EURWRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=7[Area.008]Title=Central North AmericaLocal=Scenery\NAMCRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=8[Area.009]Title=Eastern North AmericaLocal=Scenery\NAMERemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=9[Area.010]Title=Western North AmericaLocal=Scenery\NAMWRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=10[Area.011]Title=OceaniaLocal=Scenery\OcenRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=11[Area.012]Title=South AmericaLocal=Scenery\SameRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=12[Area.013]Title=Amsterdam Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\AmsterdRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=13[Area.014]Title=Anchorage Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\AnchorRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=14[Area.015]Title=Atlanta Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\AtlantaRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=15[Area.016]Title=Chicago Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\ChicagoRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=16[Area.017]Title=Dallas Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\DallasRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=17[Area.018]Title=Denver Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\DenverRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=18[Area.019]Title=Heathrow Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\HeathrowRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=19[Area.020]Title=Hong Kong Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\HongkongRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=20[Area.021]Title=Kitty Hawk Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\KittyhwkRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=21[Area.022]Title=Las Vegas Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\LasvegasRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=22[Area.023]Title=Los Angeles Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\LaRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=23[Area.024]Title=Miami Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\MiamiRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=24[Area.025]Title=New York Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\NewYorkRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=25[Area.026]Title=Niagara Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\NiagaraRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=26[Area.027]Title=Oshkosh Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\OshkoshRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=27[Area.028]Title=Paris Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\ParisRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=28[Area.029]Title=Phoenix Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\PhoenixRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=29[Area.030]Title=San Francisco Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\SanfranRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=30[Area.031]Title=Seattle Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\SeattleRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=31[Area.032]Title=St. Maarten Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\StmaartenRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=32[Area.033]Title=Sydney Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\SydneyRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=33[Area.034]Title=Tokyo Aerial PhotoLocal=Scenery\Cities\TokyoRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=34[Area.035]Title=Generic LibrariesLocal=Scenery\GenericRemote=Active=TRUERequired=TRUELayer=35[Area.036]Title=Vehicle LibrariesLocal=Scenery\VehiclesRemote=Active=TRUERequired=TRUELayer=36[Area.037]Title=Propeller ObjectsLocal=Scenery\propsRemote=Active=TRUERequired=TRUELayer=37[Area.038]Title=Addon SceneryLocal=Addon SceneryRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=38

Just in case you need it, I've pasted a copy of the default FS9 scenery.cfg file here...it's kind of long...sorry mods!
...or you could get the file from FS9 disc4 There are 2 there, the one you want depends on if you installed FS9 complete or compact.BTW, what OS are you using?And do you "cache scenery on exit"?There is an Excel file in the library that has all the original FS9 files listed with their locations on the original discs.Here is a link - http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...&CatID=rootHope this helps,Joe[edit]After the link to the Excel file I used to include a link to Jim Robinson's website where he had a tutorial about recovering default files from the FS9 discs. Jim if you read this, I miss your site.[/edit]

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

...or you could get the file from FS9 disc4 There are 2 there, the one you want depends on if you installed FS9 complete or compact.BTW, what OS are you using?And do you "cache scenery on exit"?There is an Excel file in the library that has all the original FS9 files listed with their locations on the original discs.Here is a link - http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...&CatID=rootHope this helps,Joe[edit]After the link to the Excel file I used to include a link to Jim Robinson's website where he had a tutorial about recovering default files from the FS9 discs. Jim if you read this, I miss your site.[/edit]
Thanks for the tip, Joe. My OS is WindowsXP Professional SP3I thought about the "cache scenery on exit". If I remember, it was not checked. I don't know what to look at without runningFS9. I did noticed a reference to "clean_on_exit" in the scenery.cfg. Could this be it??[General]Title=FS9 World SceneryDescription=FS9 Scenery DataClean_on_Exit=FALSE

After the link to the Excel file I used to include a link to Jim Robinson's website where he had a tutorial about recovering default files from the FS9 discs. Jim if you read this, I miss your site.
FYI - Simviation copied Jim's page and has it available on their website - I am not at my regular computer now (still on vacation) or I would include a link to it. If I remember correctly it is in their "Wiki" or "How To" section.

Just in case you need it, I've pasted a copy of the default FS9 scenery.cfg file here...it's kind of long...sorry mods!Mark
I copied the default FS9 scenery.cfg - no change. I noticed during the "Building Database For New Scenery" it goes up toabout 35% and then everything disappears.

Do you have anything in your Addon Scenery folder? Try this, the last entry in the scenery listing that I posted is Area.038. Either remove the entire section, (in your scenery.cfg file), or change it's status from Active=TRUE to Active=FALSE as listed below. Also, are you logged into your box as an administrator...that is...does your login have administrator rights?Mark[Area.038]Title=Addon SceneryLocal=Addon SceneryRemote=Active=FALSERequired=FALSELayer=38

Do you have anything in your Addon Scenery folder? Try this, the last entry in the scenery listing that I posted is Area.038. Either remove the entire section, (in your scenery.cfg file), or change it's status from Active=TRUE to Active=FALSE as listed below. Also, are you logged into your box as an administrator...that is...does your login have administrator rights?Mark[Area.038]Title=Addon SceneryLocal=Addon SceneryRemote=Active=FALSERequired=FALSELayer=38
Yes, I have administrator rights. It's the only login setup on this system. I did create a new account and login withadministrators rights and tried FS9 - same thing.I did have the Addon Scenery set to FALSE, so I deleted the Area - no change.I did a clean boot on the system to have minimum processes running. I shutdown firewall and ativirus programs also. I ran Process Monitor and started FS9. A quick look at the log shows it reading the scenery files and it creates somefiles. Then at one point, it starts to close files. The RESULTS coluum all show SUCCESS. I don't know. I'm not veryfamiliar with reading this.Rich

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!!Since I alreadly disabled the Addon Scenery and deleted it out of the Scenery.cfg, it was time to look at the Default.I disabled each of the Default Scenery Area a few at a time. When I disabled Scenery/EURW (Western Europe), FS9would start and run. Moved files in EURW/Scenery to a temp dir and moved back a few at a time.I found the file AP951170.bgl was the one causing the constant "Building Database for New Scenery" and then FS9 disappears".I cannot find any reference this file or to the EURW directory on the FS9 File Listings or on the FS9 CD.Is this not part of the Default Scenery? Where can I get a replacement?Thanks to all who responded in an effort to help me find the problem!!!!Rich

It's Italy and it's in the MSGAME8.CAB file on disk 3 of the FS9 disks.Mark

It's Italy and it's in the MSGAME8.CAB file on disk 3 of the FS9 disks.Mark
Thanks, I found it and replaced the bad one and FS9 works. I also find itin the File Listings list. I don't know how I missed that.Thanks again.Rich