Sign in to follow this  
triton

It's a Sad Day When it gets like this .. Orbx is closed

Just popped over to http://fullterrain.com/ Orbx is closed . Check it out It seems they are protesting about the fact that there Software is being stolen again.And Who can blame them. When will people begin to name and shame those involved, it's not clever, would you steal food from your neighbors kids.. it's much the same, theft is theft.It's just the desire to change attitudes on Software theft needs to be driven by respectable people such as those on this forum, otherwise we'll all end up on locked down consoles... or worse still without that which we enjoy.To those that might read this and think I don't want to Pay. don't use the software then or check out the opensource and free software. I've only dabled in scenery design and i know the amount of effort that goes into it even for the simplest of things.There must be some way of making those that steal understand the consequences, it appears they believe that there are none.. because they feel that they are imune to prosecution.How do we stop this and say it's not acceptable, or have human Morals sunk so low to the point where we think it's o.k.sorry for the rant, the minority wreck it for the rest of us.. this just hacks me off..Triton

"Imagine if FTX shut down today... We'll be back but think about the consequences... Normal operation and support will resume in 24 hours"The wording on that announcement makes me think they're not closed.. just temporarily for site maintenance or something, but they are making the best out of the status announcement space - makes you think doesn't it!Ingenious, if it's what I think, sad if it's permanent.

I think its only closed for 24 hours. I imagine that the people who pirate the software are never going to purchase it anyway, but it must be very discouraging for Orbx. I purchased AU-Blue/Green/Red/Gold a long time ago and cant even remember if they have an activation system, but i don't think so. If not then they should implement one to try and discourage the casual pirates.

Matthew S

Guest Mesa

I feel bad for them but the people who are downloading their software illegally are not going to be visiting their site anyway so they are only inconveniencing genuine customers on a weekend when people do their most flying and buying. Seems a bit self defeating.

This was a maneuver to make the community think twice about pirating their software. But guess what? Pirates really don't care about what Orbx has to say. I don't mean that as a knock Orbx, that's just the way a pirate would think. Orbx is punishing valid customers for 24 hours for other peoples' behavior. I understand Orbx's frustration, but this seems like it's creating needless collateral damage. If they want to reduce piracy, they need to lock support and patches to paying customers. -Alex

If they want to reduce piracy, they need to lock support and patches to paying customers.
Yes good idea, like LDS/Flight1 etc. Only give customers access to the members only forum/support page.Surely most of these pirates are school kids anyway? They are never going to pay for software.

Matthew S

Guest ArtieLange
I feel bad for them but the people who are downloading their software illegally are not going to be visiting their site anyway so they are only inconveniencing genuine customers on a weekend when people do their most flying and buying. Seems a bit self defeating.
Exactly, every pirated piece of software does not equal a lost sale. They act like our lifes will be in ruins withour orbx, get over yourselves already. You make a good entertainment product, but it's not some life saving medical device.

Hi,Although I can understand their frustration in regards to their product(s) being stolen, the pirates don't give a flying-rats-@ss about orbx or its web site closing for 24 hrs. All they are doing is punishing their "paying customers". Who are they trying to teach a lesson, their paying customers?. They are doing absolutely nothing to the pirates, their paying customers are the ones who are suffering by this 24 hr. closure.IMHO: Not a smart move on their part. As a paying customer, I'd be ticked off at Orbx just as they are ticked off at the pirates for pulling this type of (for lack of a better word) stunt.I just hope paying customers don't need support within this 24 hr. period. I noticed they kept their sales on line though.What a shame.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I think its a silly thing for them to do online.Will not change anything and just annoys paying customers.It takes OrbX's reputation down in my eyes.Piracy is big problem with PC's, and its rampant with Flight Sim software.I hate to see it, but its a sad fact.If it's got so bad just shut down and be done with it,why bother with this tactic, those stealing will not change.I like Aerosoft's recent comments on FSBreak much more,they seem to accept reality but feel they can succeed all the same.I wish someone could solve it and make the stuff securebut it seems to be a losing battle.I was looking forward to OrbX PNW it seems of late to be a renewed interest in FSX software.Paying customers are doing OrbX the favor not the reverse.Some actions by developers in FS industry recently are even more bizzare than this :)

I think its a silly thing for them to do online.Will not change anything and just annoys paying customers.It takes OrbX reputation down in my eyes.Piracy is big problem with PC's, and its rampant with Flight Sim software.I hate to see it, but its a sad fact.If it's got so bad just shut down and be done with it,why bother with this tactic, those stealing will not change.I like Aerosoft's recent comments on FSBreak much more,they seem to accept reality but feel they can succeed all the same.I wish someone could solve it and make the stuff securebut it seems to be a losing battle.I'm looking forward to OrbX PNW it seems of late to be a renewed interest in FSX software.Some recent actions by developers in FS industry recently are even more bizzare than this :)
I talked to a few fs developers at Oshkosh-and some of them are considering leaving the fs market permanently-due to piracy, small profits, and frankly an audience which never seems to be happy with anything.Perhaps our support might be helpful-at least if we wish to continue a hobby which is looking more and more fragile by the minute.

Hi,Support is needed and given by everyone who purchases a third party addon, I think your preaching to the quire. There is little more than I or anyone else can do for that matter other than to support these companies by purchasing their product. Pirates are pirates and are not going to change or support these companies.It sad, but the only way to stop pirates are going to be countermeasures that make it impossible for them to use the addon software unless they purchase from the developer.

I talked to a few fs developers at Oshkosh-and some of them are considering leaving the fs market permanently-due to piracy, small profits, and frankly an audience which never seems to be happy with anything.Perhaps our support might be helpful-at least if we wish to continue a hobby which is looking more and more fragile by the minute.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi,Support is needed and given by everyone who purchases a third party addon, I think your preaching to the quire. There is little more than I or anyone else can do for that matter other than to support these companies by purchasing their product. Pirates are pirates and are not going to change or support these companies.It sad, but the only way to stop pirates are going to be countermeasures that make it impossible for them to use the addon software unless they purchase from the developer.
It strikes me as not supportive to be mad at them for a decision they obviously felt they need to make-probably due to figures they and not us are seeing.

Hi,Although I can understand their frustration in regards to their product(s) being stolen, the pirates don't give a flying-rats-@ss about orbx or its web site closing for 24 hrs. All they are doing is punishing their "paying customers". Who are trying to teach a lesson, their paying customers?. They are doing absolutely nothing to the pirates, their paying customers are the ones who are suffering by this 24 hr. closure.IMHO: Not a smart move on their part. As a paying customer, I'd be ticked off at Orbx just as they are ticked off at the pirates for pulling this type of (for lack of a better word) stunt.I just hope paying customers don't need support within this 24 hr. period. I noticed they kept their sales on line though.What a shame.
While the method of conveying their message may be unorthodox and possibly causes minor annoyance to some of their customers, I do have to say that at least they now have the simulation audience's attention!In my opinion this is not the time for any "customer right declarations". As Geofa's post confirms, the simulator addon industry is slowly turning to a seller's market - a very quiet one.I've said it before - I'm one for more strict policies and software DRM, such as private support and online checks. They may cause problems (which can be solved) for a very small percentage of users, but that's a small price to pay if the alternative is not to have quality addons at all.

Hi,Instead of locking out their paying customers by closing their site, all they have to do is lock down the support forums to paying customers, introduce a better protection scheme for their products. Begin to take steps to protect their product, this is an ongoing battle between developers and pirates, it is something that is "NOT" going to end. Will it cost more for a particular product from developers as a result of these increased methods?, maybe. But its better than losing developers from the community.There are two things developers have to do in regards to Flight Sim software, create the software they intend to sell and then protect it. If companies are not willing to take "ongoing" steps to protect their software then they should get out of the business right now, pirates are here to stay.Orbx just turned its back on all their paying customers for the next 24 hrs. and you want me to support that?. I'm sorry, I cannot do that, there are better ways to deal with this than closing off support to your customers.

It strikes me as not supportive to be mad at them for a decision they obviously felt they need to make-probably due to figures they and not us are seeing.