Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

If you use the FPS limiter tool read this

I have been revisiting the FPS limiter tool lately and just now came upon this tonight. If you use the FPS limiter tool AND use use F10 or F11 or F12 keya as well when flying hitting those keys will change the FPS setting. I decided to read the readme file that came with it and it says this:New ingame keys to change the desired fps (F10 decrease / F11 increase) - New ingame fps display, show or hide with F12, command line switch is /x:ON|OFF, default is OFFThese seem to be all mixed up as I found F12 will raise it and F11 will lower it and F10 does not seem to workI noticed this when after looking around when hitting F12 several times and noticed that I was then getting very jerky performance which was happening due to me raising the FPS by hitting the F12 key. Didnt know if you all knew that but if you want to use the FPS limiter and have it stay at a certain rate I guess you will need to remap those F keys in fsx if you use them in FSX.

Jim Wenham

I have been revisiting the FPS limiter tool lately and just now came upon this tonight. If you use the FPS limiter tool AND use use F10 or F11 or F12 keya as well when flying hitting those keys will change the FPS setting. I decided to read the readme file that came with it and it says this:New ingame keys to change the desired fps (F10 decrease / F11 increase) - New ingame fps display, show or hide with F12, command line switch is /x:ON|OFF, default is OFFThese seem to be all mixed up as I found F12 will raise it and F11 will lower it and F10 does not seem to workI noticed this when after looking around when hitting F12 several times and noticed that I was then getting very jerky performance which was happening due to me raising the FPS by hitting the F12 key. Didnt know if you all knew that but if you want to use the FPS limiter and have it stay at a certain rate I guess you will need to remap those F keys in fsx if you use them in FSX.
Found the same thing... F12 up, F11, down, and in my case: F10 show/hide.

Bert

Guest JamesWoods

On a quad core system such as my i7920. I find swicthing fsx off the last core using affinity mask gives me a much smoother fsx than anything achievable with fps limiter and all four cores. So i dont use fps limiter anymore.

On a quad core system such as my i7920. I find swicthing fsx off the last core using affinity mask gives me a much smoother fsx than anything achievable with fps limiter and all four cores. So i dont use fps limiter anymore.
I also have i7 920.. and I'm still getting stutters on turn or pan... so, now I'm using FPS limiter and I'm getting less stutters but are still present and it makes me crazy. I don't use affinity mask.. to switch off last core, what's the affinitymask number?

I also have i7 920.. and I'm still getting stutters on turn or pan... so, now I'm using FPS limiter and I'm getting less stutters but are still present and it makes me crazy. I don't use affinity mask.. to switch off last core, what's the affinitymask number?
BufferPools might also help

Guest JamesWoods
set affinity to = 7in binary this means 0111 = means your last core, core 3 is not used by fsx.Start fsx without fps limiter.I also have bufferpools set to 12 000 000 But by far most effective against stutters on my system is affinitymask = 7.

set affinity to = 7in binary this means 0111 = means your last core, core 3 is not used by fsx.Start fsx without fps limiter.I also have bufferpools set to 12 000 000 But by far most effective against stutters on my system is affinitymask = 7.
What frame rates have you set in FSX please ?Denis

I also have i7 920.. and I'm still getting stutters on turn or pan... so, now I'm using FPS limiter and I'm getting less stutters but are still present and it makes me crazy.
Are you possibly seeing tearing, rather than stutters?In that case, Vsync=on is the cure.

Bert

Are you possibly seeing tearing, rather than stutters?In that case, Vsync=on is the cure.
Turning off Hypertheading is best help for stutters with I7's. Disable it in your bios since there are no apps that utilize virtual cores anyways.Will

Guest JamesWoods
What frame rates have you set in FSX please ?Denis
between 30 and 40 normally. Am currently trying 40. Stutters less with 1 core off, So 40 fps is smoother.All my Antiliasing stuff is set in FSX, and application controlled in nvidia control panel, except for one option set to enhance fsx settings.I use gamebooster to shut down all vista services not reurired for fsxI no longer use Fpslimiter, to me, it does seem to make things smoother, but wount resolve stutters you had before adding fps limiter.I have used setaffinity tool to put all addons that run with fsx to use core3 only e.g. UT2_Services , RC4, FollowMe Taxi helper vehicle, gamebooster, setaffinity,ASA. So only FSX and general vista stuff on core 0,1,2.i7920 is @ 3.7Ghz on air with nvidia 285 gtx.Defraged with ultimatedefrag C drive = windows D drive = FSX + addons ----------- You can do a lot of performance improving logic with a good defrag tool and two seperate drives for windows and FSX.On fsx+addons drive FSXroot\Scenery folder is been positiond right on edge of the disk using ultimatedefrag, this is the fastest part of the disk, and the folder FSXroot\Scenery is where 80% of disk activity is when you in FSX and crusing. I checked this by using vista resource monitor disk activity view on another monitor, while fsx was running on primary monitor. all Scenery that is not archive in nature goes on edge of disk, So my FsGlobal starts on second circle from the edge, behind FSX\Scenery.Use Gamebooster to add any tasks you can easily identify you dont need for fsx, to list of files shut down for FSX, and restored when you finish. Plus gamebooster knows what version windows you using, so it will shut down all win services you dont need for gaming. When i do this the whole PC seems more responsive, so can only be good for FSX.***NOTE THIS AFFINITY MASKS ARE FOR WHEN HYPERTHREADING IS SWITHED OFF IN BIOS total cores = 4 cores not 8****I have tried switiching the first core off affinitymask = 1110 = 14 - Smoother than using all 4 cores, but when it stutters its more worse than using = 0111 = 7. So currently i got my affinity set = 7. You can increase your OC more with hyperthreading off, but on air my max i7920 base 175 X 21 = 3.7GHz . Means if cooling on air i would not increase that number in bios above 175. I did and system became unstable, had to reinstall fsx and vista twice.At 175 = 3.7Ghz i get good perfs on i7920 for FSX using affinity = 7 HT Off******************************************************************************************SetAffinity tool is automatic so when you add tasks to its list and set an affinity, it is permanent, even if you restart windows, so you dont have to do every time. I have added things like rc4 and ut2services.exe , ASA etc to all run on core 3 which fsx is not using. I did this in part to limit the shocks you get when UT2 is injecting traffic. Most of my current stutters i guese are 90% related to UT2 traffic injection". But otherwise UT2 is smooth till traffic injection. Keeping ut2_serivces.exe on core3 only is an attempt to limit this effect, but even after this improvement, UT2 traffic injection stutters still standout in busy areas. I have reduced traffic in ut2 to 51% commercial %35 GA, am more jetty than prop, but the GA's help to keep the smaller airports busy looking.HT OFF is much smoother, lets just say that my system crashes if i run my current 3.7GHhz I7920 with HT on . HT off all is well. Except for the system sometimes decides to reset the cpu speed to defualt 2.66Ghz during boot up sometimes. Above 3.7Ghz and all kind of things start very slowly going funny. Plus it has damaged FSX installs, requiring even vista from scratch before FSX. That when i was running at 3.85~3.9GHz. on Air in summer.If you feeling explorative you could revisit Nick's Guide to FSX setup, good source for lagacy fsx fixes and tweaks. Or this is also good for tweaks and more http://www.highflightsimulations.com/.I am cool with performance i get now uisng these settings above on my system fps of smooth 35-40 (40 limit) in high cruise. I have removed rex2 and gone back to rex1. I suspect the rex2 textures might be more quality hence less fps. But did not think of this till after i removed it, maybe i should have tried turning my rex2 settinging down a bit first. In any case the dramatic fps of 10 i was getting when landing at moderatly busy airport has gone with my rex2. With rex1 i get about 17fps in same flight.I think fps limiter can only improve smoothness if they already ok, it cant remove stutters, maybe some micro micro stutters.Turning off the last core of i7 with no HT on has had most dramatic effect on stutters+smoothness "ON MY SYSTEM", more than anything else in this whole thread.Also ASA is another source of stutters but not like the ut2 traffic injection "parking brake in the sky" . Thats why ASA is also set to run permanently on core3, and i have disabled option for ASA to run high priority in ASA options.Two tools11111111Set tasks you are sure are not critical to run on any cpu core, like core 3 in my case. leaving FSX and vista generall stuff on core,0,1,2.This setiing is saved even after windows is restarted.Set Affinity II - v1.037 -------------------- http://edgemeal.110mb.com/SetAffinity/index.htm22222222GameBooster deals with shuting down all the windows services it knows you dont need for gaming, also you can add any tasks in task manager to its list of shutdowns. It restarts after fsx by clicking gamebooster button that reads "Back to normal mode" the other is "Switch to gaming mode"I shut down stuff i am absolutly sure is not relevent with this tool, and stuff i dont think need much cpu, i set thier affinity to core 3 only, using set affinity to above.GameBooster ----------------------------------------------------- http://iobit.com/gamebooster.html-So Yes, i too dont want to give my F11 F10 and F12 to Fpslimiter, personally i dont need it cuase all is well other than ut2 hard brakes in the sky.I am looking forward to UT2 patch to fix this traffic injection slide shows, according to thier support staff in UT2 forums, they are working on a patch that will allow user to set a slider for how fast the traffic is updated as you move into an area. So that If you set traffic update rate lower according to your cpu power , you wount get the current ut2 traffic update fsx pauses.My framerates on approach of about 16fps just pauses at about 0.8~0.9 fps for about a second , then its back to 16 again.The only reason i have not given up on ut2 is that 1 - These pauses can be a bit far apart, which is good, but you are garaunteed to get the pauses on all aprraoches to any reasonably busy meduim airport, at larger busier airports is even worse, but can be tempered with your traffic sliders as well. So am currenlty running UT2 with many aiports empty at lower traffic sliders.

The FPS limiter tool gives me a extra 5-8 FPS in the Level D 767. Max scenery, very dense autogen, all max except 2x low water, 0 cars, low airport vehicles, 80% AI using UT2, UTX, FEX. With all that using the Limiter it stays smooth with frames in the low 20's on takeoff roll, 25-30 in climb out. Same settings using the FSX lock 15-17 takeoff roll, 17-22 in climb and it is not as smooth. The FPS limiter gives me the extra boost when it is needed and very smooth as glass in easy going areas. The main point of this thread was to let everyone know that if they are using the F10-11-12 keys and the FPS tool that when using those keys they are changing FPS settings in the tool, which may be why some people experience poor performance at times with the tool. Like I said, I just figured it out lastnight when I noticed performance getting very jerky after hitting F-11 several times. In the Cesna using the same flight it rarely will dip below 26 and is usually at 30 locked using the limiter.

Jim Wenham

The FPS limiter tool gives me a extra 5-8 FPS in the Level D 767. Max scenery, very dense autogen, all max except 2x low water, 0 cars, low airport vehicles, 80% AI using UT2, UTX, FEX. With all that using the Limiter it stays smooth with frames in the low 20's on takeoff roll, 25-30 in climb out. Same settings using the FSX lock 15-17 takeoff roll, 17-22 in climb and it is not as smooth. The FPS limiter gives me the extra boost when it is needed and very smooth as glass in easy going areas. The main point of this thread was to let everyone know that if they are using the F10-11-12 keys and the FPS tool that when using those keys they are changing FPS settings in the tool, which may be why some people experience poor performance at times with the tool. Like I said, I just figured it out lastnight when I noticed performance getting very jerky after hitting F-11 several times. In the Cesna using the same flight it rarely will dip below 26 and is usually at 30 locked using the limiter.
I see from your sig that you use TrackIR 4. Are you using F12 to re-center the view? I've been doing that and haven't noticed any changes in performance. Am wondering if the TrackIR software (I'm on version 4) overrides the FPS Limiter F-key settings in the same way it overrides the FSX F-key settings. Or maybe it's making changes that I haven't been noticing. What do you think?Alan

I see from your sig that you use TrackIR 4. Are you using F12 to re-center the view? I've been doing that and haven't noticed any changes in performance. Am wondering if the TrackIR software (I'm on version 4) overrides the FPS Limiter F-key settings in the same way it overrides the FSX F-key settings. Or maybe it's making changes that I haven't been noticing. What do you think?Alan
Hi Alan, I have my re-center key set on my X52 throttle. I would imagine that hitting the F12 on the keyboard would affect the FPS setting but I will try and see what happens. Another thing I just noticed is that after lauching FSX with the limiter bat file that you can close it down and it still works fine. I'll test the Track IR and get back with you.Jim

Jim Wenham

Alan, I switched my recenter back to F12 and found that by recentering it did NOT change the limiter. F11 did lower the FPS and I found that if I held "SHIFT+F12" that allowed me to raise the FPS.

Jim Wenham