Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

FSX? How are we doing?

Alex-I have to mention once again-if my Baron cockpit looked like that I think I would immediately be disoriented and spiral immediately down! :(
Hi Geofa- Understood: we badly need developers to also recognize this and create accurate 2D panels appropriate to multiple monitors. (Matrox and now (belatedly) ATI & NVIDIA seem to have recognized the future in this regard!)But if your real Baron only had a 45

Hi Geofa- Understood: we badly need developers to also recognize this and create accurate 2D panels appropriate to multiple monitors. (Matrox and now (belatedly) ATI & NVIDIA seem to have recognized the future in this regard!)But if your real Baron only had a 45

I actually have been experimenting with multi monitor and I feel the future at least for me will be a huge single monitor and the use of tracker ir. 3 monitors is nice-but swiveling your head around the cockpit, zooming in on particular instruments, looking up/down and around for instance the yoke to see a switch you have to push, conveys more realism for me-and the instruments are where they are supposed to be.
Geofa- is this the sort of thing you you have in mind?This was an experiment to see what might be accomplished using a very large screen. Note the triple views are still there! I simply tried to pack on as much detail/popups as possible without serious regard for arrangement or realistic placement.It was done on my center 19" monitor- just to see how much could be displayed on a large screen- hence the black squares for my outer mons. Also, too small to be able to see detail. Incidentally it actually flew on my 6 year old 'puter- the pic is on short final R27 CYYJ.Should work OK on a larger monitor- perhaps over 30"?Note that with triple views on a single monitor/screen, the horizon will bend/twist in aircraft roll mode. This is caused by the outer screen sides being not square to your eyes- ie a single screen is not horizontally concave as with 3 individual monitors. That's why commercial sims use a multiple projection system and a curved screen.And that's the big reason I see triple monitors as superior to a single monitor- especially if the latter displays only one view!!! Regards Alex Reid

Geofa- is this the sort of thing you you have in mind?This was an experiment to see what might be accomplished using a very large screen. Note the triple views are still there! I simply tried to pack on as much detail/popups as possible without serious regard for arrangement or realistic placement.It was done on my center 19" monitor- just to see how much could be displayed on a large screen- hence the black squares for my outer mons. Also, too small to be able to see detail. Incidentally it actually flew on my 6 year old 'puter- the pic is on short final R27 CYYJ.Should work OK on a larger monitor- perhaps over 30"?Note that with triple views on a single monitor/screen, the horizon will bend/twist in aircraft roll mode. This is caused by the outer screen sides being not square to your eyes- ie a single screen is not horizontally concave as with 3 individual monitors. That's why commercial sims use a multiple projection system and a curved screen.And that's the big reason I see triple monitors as superior to a single monitor- especially if the latter displays only one view!!! Regards Alex Reid
Alex-I take it you have never used tracker ir -because without it 3 monitors are just as limited .With tracker ir I have 360 degrees in every direction.

Alex-I take it you have never used tracker ir -because without it 3 monitors are just as limited .With tracker ir I have 360 degrees in every direction.
Hello GeofaYou will never win this one with Alex :( One day I will probably buy Alex a TrackIR, hopefully then he may be able to appreciate what we are trying to tell him.Alex is unable to visualize what TrackIr can do, but I do love his enthusiasm for what works for him.

Geofa- No, haven't had the opportunity to use TrackIR. A clever device! But it should be used with TH2Go so you get the wide perspective possible with a triple width view. It's perspective that emulates real pilot vision. In my config, my perspective is about 160

As pompous as it is to quote oneself, I simply can't resist:

My flight simming setup includes one screen, head tracking, a fresnel lens, and 3D glasses. For me, this beats a vanilla "triple-view" setup hands down.However, as a courtesy to all those who are enjoying their own setups, I will not try to convince you that my way is better than yours. Happy flying!

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

Stephen- greetings from the Evergreen Province!I'm not sure I would agree about "being stuck in the past" when you can get this result with a seven year old FS9 simulator running on a 6 year old 'puter.Flying without a tripled Field of View really is past its prime! Cheers Alex Reid
Hi Alex,Those mountain views look good. I remember them well, for I spend a few years in the air with fs2004. The first time I flew from CYVR to CYYC with new mesh and Holger Sandmann's freeware I was astonished for it was far better than anything I had ever seen before. This hobby is about "simulating aviation reality" so if fs9 does it for you, as it used to do it for me, then it is still doing its job, thank you very much. I appreciate seeing your setup.As far as multiple monitors go, I would wholeheartedly agree with you if I wanted to see 2D panels, but I like to be in a simulated reality instead of just simulating aspects of real aviation. That is why I have a large wide view monitor with TrackIR headgear in a virtual cockpit. I don't like having shift Z working, or flashing symbols on ai aircraft, or cockpit tool tips, or any other simulation based cheat. I decided long ago to make fs as real as I could understand and afford.There is no trouble finding every switch and button and reading every instrument in any virtual 3D cockpit I have studied and have trained myself in. The headgear puts my virtual head on a virtual body sitting in a virtual seat in a virtual cockpit of a virtual aircraft that allows me to take off from a virtual airport and to lift off into a virtual sky and climb through virtual clouds. The experience may only be virtual, simulated, and imaginary, but the enjoyment, excitement and awe is very real.Thanks for sharing your interest in our great hobby. Pleased to meet you.StephenEdit: PS. Where is the Evergreen province? :(

Hi Alex,Thanks for sharing your interest in our great hobby. Pleased to meet you.StephenEdit: PS. Where is the Evergreen province? :(
Stephen- And to meet you also. Last I heard, the Evergreen location was secret- to avoid being swamped with eastern refugees! Alex Reid