Sign in to follow this  
MatzeH84

J41 FMS HOLD button

Pushing the hold button should activate the holding-pattern page if a waypoint is highlighted, or another page if no wp is highlighted. This is what I read in the AOM. If I press the hold key, nothing happens- is the key non-functional or is this a bug?Also the TCAS is non-functional. Only if you press the TCAS-key; then you are able to see traffic, but if you change to another view (for example map v/l) the symbols disappear. Also no traffic-alert or RA is given, not by voice and not as a VS-command on the VSI. I guess there i a TCAS II installed, which gives RAs, because RAs are discribed in the AOM..But I guess this issue will be fixed in SP1.. I hope :( Regards,Matthias Hanelgives

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

Matthias,1) Hold page of the FMS is not modeled. Don't know if this is added in SP1.2) J41 has TCAS I installed.

Thx for the fast answer!Was wondering because RAs and the HOLD page are discussed in the AOM..Regards,Matthias Hanel

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

As far as I can see the holding-feature has not yet been implemented in SP1.. is there a chance to get this functionable in future updates?Pleeeaaase.. :(

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

Ahhh for days I have been trying to set a holding pattern in the FMS, I keep going through the manual trying to figure it out so I finally thought I would search here. Should have searched sooner, would have saved the frustration :)Too bad about the lack of hold function though :/

Ahhh for days I have been trying to set a holding pattern in the FMS, I keep going through the manual trying to figure it out so I finally thought I would search here. Should have searched sooner, would have saved the frustration :)Too bad about the lack of hold function though :/
Was going to buy this this weekend but if features such as holds are missing then I think I will skip itGraham

Well it is unusal but I wouldn't let it distract you too much considering pretty much everything else is fully modelled (except the obvious weather radar and AFIS).

Guest BlueRidgeDx

Graham,I lobbied hard during the beta to get the HOLD stuff added along with some other VNAV stuff, so I understand where you're coming from. But that being said, how often do you actually give yourself some holding in FSX? Does VATSIM ever give holds?As much as I enjoy having 100% realism, missing the ability to automitically fly racetracks in the sky doesn't seem like such a big loss. It's my personal opinion that you'd be missing out on a LOT of fun and rewarding flying if you chose to skip the J-41 because it can't hold. It genuinely has so much to offer between the awesome VC visuals, the incredible sound, and it's agile flight model.Take that for what it's worth.

Does VATSIM ever give holds?
You are joking right? Try Heathrow, Frankfurt etc or any airport during a special event and you could well find yourself spending over 20 minutes flying around in circles. The HOLD feature is sorely missed during such occasions, even if that is only 10% of flights. You were right to lobby for it.廖傑英 (Chris)

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Guest BlueRidgeDx

Well, no, I wasn't kidding. I've never flown on VATSIM, so I was curious. It's nice to know that VATSIM is so realistic. Anyway, no need to preach to the choir...I'm a believer. But I also understand that the line has to be drawn somewhere, and the HOLD pages just didn't make the cut. The J41 is still an incredibly realistic product, and it has a LOT of other features that pick up the slack for the very few faults that it has.I know I don't hold a candle to RSR's time and familiarity with the bird, but I spent a significant amount of time with a J41 strapped to my back, and PMDG captured the very essence of the airplane. They really did.I'm just sayin'.

Maybe I'll get it later today along with the 747-8 and UKScenerys' EGCC. Not a bad weekend for new releases including UT2 SP1I don't do holds often but it would be nice to have the option to do so but as you say its not a deal breaker really!Thanks Graham

Guest davidgomez

Was Hold Added in SP1? It seems to me a basic FMS feature these days , I understand Blue Ridges Criticism regardless of the good things I have heard about this plane. I do believe its a complex enough plane to manage if going for realism so surprised the manuals diverge from functionality wihout saying so are there many features referenced that dont work?

Hold is not simulated, as well as several other FMS functions that the Bendix had.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest davidgomez
Hold is not simulated, as well as several other FMS functions that the Bendix had.
Thanks Dan , can you comment on whether there is much in the manual that is not activated on the aircraft. I was halfway through buying it when i came across this post and as I vatsim a lot holds would make life a lot easier but what has more peaked my attention now is that the PMDG manuals allude to functionality that doesnt exist.edit: Doesnt matter i bit the bullet and bought it anyway guess ill find out, there is too much good buzz around here to not spend the 50 bucks. :(

Yes very annoying not having the hold function, on what is otherwise a very good aircraft, and some good signs of whats to come with the 737NG.However as you say, its also very frustrating to have a manual that tells you about functions that dont exist. How many times do you come into these forums and see people asking questions on how to do something or why they cant get something to work, only to be told RTFM. Apart from the general fun factor of the JS41 and other good features, one of my primary reasons for getting the js41 was to use it as an aircraft that I would fly online with. and as much as other FMS features are missing that can be found in the real Bendix, most of those can be gotten around of. However trying to fly manual holds is quite a task, when you combine the fact that this is another PMDG product that doesnt support Hardware very well (again something hopefully we will see fixed with the 737) I understand that time is money, and that we want resources put into newer products, but it would be good to see at least some energy put into making the Hold function operable. so that at least then the product does as the manual says it will.RegardsJames