Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Next download....Windows 7!

I know there's a Windows 7 forum, but I really don't want to talk about it. I just can't wait to download it TOMORROW (Oct. 22) and see what it does for FSX. I'm expecting it to be a postitive experience from all that I've read. I have a coupon for a Windows 7 download that I got with my new computer. Even though I have a great running system with Vista 64 right now, the Windows 7 OS is supposed to be what Vista was supposed to be....but never was. Just thought I'd share my anticipation with readers of THIS forum.Stan

Guest tcable
I know there's a Windows 7 forum, but I really don't want to talk about it. I just can't wait to download it TOMORROW (Oct. 22) and see what it does for FSX. I'm expecting it to be a postitive experience from all that I've read. I have a coupon for a Windows 7 download that I got with my new computer. Even though I have a great running system with Vista 64 right now, the Windows 7 OS is supposed to be what Vista was supposed to be....but never was. Just thought I'd share my anticipation with readers of THIS forum.Stan
I'm running Win7 x64 and it is a bit snappier than Vista. FSX seems the same to me similarly configured.Tim

Don't expect too much difference when you come from a good working Vista setup... The system itself may be snappier, FSX may probably run the same.

Hate to be the one to rain on your parade but I've been running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate RTM since it was released to Technet users in addition to every Beta and RC and FSX did not gain 1 fps whether you upgraded from Vista or did a clean install. I can attest that everything works flawlessly in W7 and I haven't found any addons that don't work correctly, but rest assured, it doesn't pretty much nothing for FSX. Not to mention that W7 comes with DX11 and few further optimizations for DX9 or DX10. A properly optimized Vista was not an issue for me, and while I do love Windows 7 because it is less bloated, uses less memory and is most certainly going to give you better system peroformace at the OS level, it did absolutely nothing for FSX..or FS9 for that matter.

Do you run full screen or windowed? I mainly prefer windowed and am interested in that environment.scott s..

I'm recommending that all my users upgrade to Windows 7 asap, if anything because doing a clean install on your system is a good way to get rid of some weird gremlins.I also recommend that non-English users get the Ultimate version of Windows 7 so they can install the English language pack, which is a requirement if you want to use the many voice recognition programs that are out there.

I also recommend that non-English users get the Ultimate version of Windows 7 so they can install the English language pack, which is a requirement if you want to use the many voice recognition programs that are out there.
That's exactly what I will do and thus I ordered the Ultimate version. To finally be able to run your FS2Crew 2010 voice programs (will probably wait for the J41 version).Have to admit that I will do an upgrade over my Vista due to time contraints; when I find more time I may do the delete and install trick..Phil

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

That's exactly what I will do and thus I ordered the Ultimate version. To finally be able to run your FS2Crew 2010 voice programs (will probably wait for the J41 version).Have to admit that I will do an upgrade over my Vista due to time contraints; when I find more time I may do the delete and install trick..Phil
Hey Phil, quick question for you about the upgrade from vista to W 7: If i purchase the upgrade version of Win 7 and run that over my current vista 64 setup, doesn't that pretty much clean the whole PC back to factory settings and require everything (FSX most importantly) to be reinstalled? I did the upgrade from Vista 32 to Vista 64 last year and had to reinstall everything. I apologize in advance if I misunderstood you, but if you wouldn't mind shedding more light on this I would appreciate it. Thanks!Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Turned out my "download" of Windows 7 was really a DVD that is going to be sent. I waited until today (the 22nd) to order, and I should have ordered earlier. The DVD of Win7, they say, will be send December 1st. I thought it was going to be a download that I could start using today. Too bad.Stan

Stan, sorry to hear that you'll have to wait until December.Now we can move this topic to the Win 7 forum.Thanks!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Hey Phil, quick question for you about the upgrade from vista to W 7: If i purchase the upgrade version of Win 7 and run that over my current vista 64 setup, doesn't that pretty much clean the whole PC back to factory settings and require everything (FSX most importantly) to be reinstalled? I did the upgrade from Vista 32 to Vista 64 last year and had to reinstall everything. I apologize in advance if I misunderstood you, but if you wouldn't mind shedding more light on this I would appreciate it. Thanks!Pete
Hey Pete. Did upgrade last night. Without any problems, just lost my printer so far. Took more than 25 mins but reason is that I did not the clean install but the 'real' upgrade (first option in the setup menu). And this means, to answer your question Pete, that you keep all settings and programs. Nothings needed to be reinstalled so far except a W7 driver for my webcam. W7 required to deauthorize my computer via iTunes, Daemon tools for HD images does not work and my printer does not react - although it is recognized. But I can live all that, will try to reinstall the printer within the next days, had it connected via WiFi (Pixma4000R). FSX works just fine, as well as UT2 and REX. Also the PMDG J41 without hassles. Just got the latest nhancer which also works with W7.So, again. No problem to upgrade over an existing Vista. But the clean install would indeed require a formatted drive or formatting/deleting your Vista installation. Usually I would prefer that to have really a clean system (wondering how many files I still have now which I do not need anymore) but too little time. Any dark and cold weekend in winter I will do the clean install. But for now I wanted to quick and dirty and it works great. Really like what I have seen so far. Also, FSX is maybe not faster but - as others mentioned - snappier. Graphics seem better though I can hardly tell why. Any lighting like beacons or landing lights seem more realistic. No idea whether that has to do with DX11 since my nvidia260 can only do DX10?Hope this helpsPhil

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Hey Pete. Did upgrade last night. Without any problems, just lost my printer so far. Took more than 25 mins but reason is that I did not the clean install but the 'real' upgrade (first option in the setup menu). And this means, to answer your question Pete, that you keep all settings and programs. Nothings needed to be reinstalled so far except a W7 driver for my webcam. W7 required to deauthorize my computer via iTunes, Daemon tools for HD images does not work and my printer does not react - although it is recognized. But I can live all that, will try to reinstall the printer within the next days, had it connected via WiFi (Pixma4000R). FSX works just fine, as well as UT2 and REX. Also the PMDG J41 without hassles. Just got the latest nhancer which also works with W7.So, again. No problem to upgrade over an existing Vista. But the clean install would indeed require a formatted drive or formatting/deleting your Vista installation. Usually I would prefer that to have really a clean system (wondering how many files I still have now which I do not need anymore) but too little time. Any dark and cold weekend in winter I will do the clean install. But for now I wanted to quick and dirty and it works great. Really like what I have seen so far. Also, FSX is maybe not faster but - as others mentioned - snappier. Graphics seem better though I can hardly tell why. Any lighting like beacons or landing lights seem more realistic. No idea whether that has to do with DX11 since my nvidia260 can only do DX10?Hope this helpsPhil
Thanks for the info Phil, this helps a bunch. Since Costco has the upgrade pack for up to 3 computers for $135, it may be worth a shot. From what I understand, all versions come with the choice to install either 32 bit or 64 bit, which is critical for me since i can never go back to 32 bit! Sounds though like this is not too much of a hassle, and I assume all of my addons will still work (megasceneries and many aerosoft airports + the GEX, UTX, and REX evironments). Thanks again.Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot