Sign in to follow this  
dmaher

? about clouds in Fs2004

Guest lawyerpilot

Do the clouds bounce off the plane visually as they did in 2002? Or are thy now like FLY II, where they wisp and you can actually immerse yourself in them...in other words is a cloud a bitmap that cannot surround the plane as you enter it? If anyone knows what I am talking about, I appreciate the help..ASEL Instrument 264 hoursAOPALawyerpilots Bar AssociationNTSB Bar Association

This has already be widely talked about. Clouds in FS2004 are truly volumetric and frankly they also look much better than FLYII clouds (at least for me). You can download a free FS2004 cloud-movie that gives you in-depth explanation behind the new cloud design and demonstrates experience of flying through them.Sounds like FS2004 will have the most sophisticated cloud system yet. Some say that clouds/sky-effects(sunsets) is the highlight of the new release.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Hi, Go download the video on the Msfs official Web Site, http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/downloads.aspThey are more 3d clouds and they don`t stick in flat paper sheet thing`s visual near the aircraft like fs2002. Consider the entire weather/environment have a major improvement.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

>I dont have FS9 (wish I did! :-lol ) But i've read from one>post (not sure where) that they were like IL-2 Sturmoviks>clouds, where you fly through them, and they blow over your>wings and past your windshield, actually flying trough 3D>cloud. Only M$, still is way behind on clouds, I've read they>are still partially 2D, and you dont see different parts of>the cloud particales whisping over your wing- or under it in>that matter. But it sounds like you can fly through them,>instead of them being a 2D image thats turns as you past>through them :)>>>Jason :-waveClouds are 3D volumetric.Not "partially" 2D.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest GiZBUG

There is turbulance in the clouds. That's all I can say

Hi, JasonBut i've read from one post (not sure where) that they were like IL-2 Sturmoviks clouds, where you fly through them, Clouds in Sturmovic are 2d that's turn in a subtile that have many bitmap in the same spot in circle."Only M$, still is way behind on clouds"When Fly1 and Fly II, X-plane,fuIII, never got volumetric to saw different parts of the cloud particales whisping over your wing- or under it in that matter. Fly1 Clouds, when you are in front them, they just disappear and you can saw them in the back, they are gone. you turn the camera angle and you saw them all turning.If you have saw how many clouds formation that's have fs2004, the amount of clouds that's have in the sky, at far, and the entire weather system, it's the first in any flight simunlator to date.There is too much Confusion about volumetric 2d or 3d, considering the amount of clouds that's fs2004 have in the sky, it will be impossible to have ton's of particle like movie, you will get 1fps. Most of the volumtric clouds talk are based on the amount of the particle in the clouds which I don't saw this in Fly series, X-plane or IL2 sturmovic, so you can call them 2d all of them that's rotate.Fly1, II or x-plane, Il2 Sturmovic volumetric clouds most are the same thing's only the visual some change. They are good for simulator for "volumetric" clouds with good fps.Maybe in the futur with the more powerfull computer, the amount of particle in volumetric clouds will raise and get near the real thing.See the LOMAC Clouds Rotation face to the camera :-)http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/19558.jpgThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest ChrisTrott

Check out the video link posted above, and then tell me if you agree with your previous statement. It's kinda contradictory of what the programmers themselves are saying.There's a difference between a 2D particle and a Sprite.

Hey Chris T,The video is pretty convincing stuff. The clouds are a huge improvement."There's a difference between a 2D particle and a Sprite."I used the word particle to describe the FS clouds; I think that's not really accurate. There's no particle dynamics going on. From the video it looks like the sprite locations are fixed by the artist that makes the cloud. FS2002 clouds used a single sprite where as FS2004 uses maybe 30 to 60 sprites arranged in space to render that same single cloud. If you look at the Max shots in the Video you can actually see the arrangement and number. I'd say the bounding volumes you can see are used to define the layers she refers to. So every sprite knows if it's a top middle or bottom.I can't wait, but my poor old PIII700 isn't going to cut it...DannyCYVR