Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Christopher Low

BAe Jetstream 4100 approach video

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Nice video... smooth looking approach...I was wondering though why you didn't have any gauge lighting on... or why you didn't set reverse thrust on landing... no need to cook the brakes unnecessarily...Andrew

I am not sure with respect to the gauge lighting. I just set the aircraft at the runway threshold ready for take off, made the necessary adjustments (like setting the condition levers to FLIGHT mode), took off, turned left downwind, and then turned again onto final approach. As for reverse thrust after landing, you obviously weren't listening properly. I use a button on the back of my joystick to activate the reverse propellor pitch, and you can clearly hear this shortly after touchdown.

I am not sure with respect to the gauge lighting. I just set the aircraft at the runway threshold ready for take off, made the necessary adjustments (like setting the condition levers to FLIGHT mode), took off, turned left downwind, and then turned again onto final approach. As for reverse thrust after landing, you obviously weren't listening properly. I use a button on the back of my joystick to activate the reverse propellor pitch, and you can clearly hear this shortly after touchdown.
Then you didn't arm the spoilers cause they did not deploy. Cannot see the switch too clearly in the video to see if they were armed or not. FRED

Thanks for adding that Fred... that was my point of reference too... And I just played it back again... it is very hard to hear any reverse... Christopher, you must have had some warning horn sounding at takeoff, as the TOCWS would be moaning about the spoilers not having been set...Still a nice little video. Thanks for taking the time to put it up and make it available for us to watch! :)Andrew

There is a warning sound (and flashing red light) during take off, but I had assumed that this was simply to let the pilots know that the plane was moving :( Mind you, I am not sure why you would need to set the spoilers for take off.....or is it simply a check to make sure that they are working, in preparation for landing? As for not using the spoilers after touchdown, you are correct. I am not used to flying the bigger planes (and I mean anything larger than a Beechcraft Baron), so "arming spoilers" is not something that I am used to!Not that it matters. The J41 is an absolute joy to hand fly, and I am nailing more landings than I am messing up now (all without aids, of course) :(

There is a warning sound (and flashing red light) during take off, but I had assumed that this was simply to let the pilots know that the plane was moving :( Mind you, I am not sure why you would need to set the spoilers for take off.....or is it simply a check to make sure that they are working, in preparation for landing? As for not using the spoilers after touchdown, you are correct. I am not used to flying the bigger planes (and I mean anything larger than a Beechcraft Baron), so "arming spoilers" is not something that I am used to!Not that it matters. The J41 is an absolute joy to hand fly, and I am nailing more landings than I am messing up now (all without aids, of course) :(
They are armed in case of a rejected take off to help stop the aircraft. FRED

I agree fully, great to hone the manual skills... she is no Baron, that is for sure... As Fred says, the spoilers are armed prior to takeoff in case of a rejected take off... to dump the lift from the wings and improve braking effectiveness. If you're not used to the bigger aircraft, perhaps a look at the checklists? :(I really enjoy circuits with touch and goes in the JS41... can do 10 or so in an hour with start up, taxi, circuits, final full stop landing and taxi back to gate/parking... nice way to relax after a stressful day in the office and teaching... Just me and the JS41, and whatever weather Active Sky throws at me...Andrew