Sign in to follow this  
EPICfan

Re-Installing FS9

After a forced reinstall of a new operating system (former: Windows XP Home, now: XP Professional), I reinstalled FS2004, updated to FS9 and then copied my FS9 folder and all the other folders for add-ons and tools from where I had saved them. I understand I have to reinstall payware, because it gets registered in the registry. I did that. Still, FS9 crashes while loading. Any hints on how to migrate with FS9? I don't want to install every single program, this would be very painstaking.Best regards,Holger

Holger TillmannSIM: FS9/2004 // FSX<p>CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 4x3.40GHz (for FSX OCed to 4.2), GPU: ASUS GTX 760 Direct CU II OC, GeForce® 9800 GTX +MB: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 Z87 DDR3RAM: Crucial 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL8 Ballistix Tactical

Install FS9, make sure it works, then add folder after folder, restarting FS9 each time. Also, try the FS9 Troubleshooting option (Safe Mode and Reset Defaults).KJ

Holger: About a year ago I was in the same boat as you, and after farting around with the folders, files and what not for over a week, I found that a complete reformat and reinstall really was the best (and most time effective) way to do it. It was my opinion that if I you didn't just bite the bullet and do a fresh install of everything one by one, I would continue to get crashes and problems and I wouldn never be really sure why. Just my experience. . .

Install FS9, make sure it works, then add folder after folder, restarting FS9 each time. Also, try the FS9 Troubleshooting option (Safe Mode and Reset Defaults).KJ
I would agree with the recommendation of a complete reformatting and step by step reinstall. I am just starting that again today having developed a corrupt WIndows registry file a few days ago that resulted in me having to reinstall Windows XP. Have had to reinstall fs9 twice about 2 years ago and I learned the hard way then that reformatting and careful reinstall is the only way to do it. I can understand your frustration though - believe me I am feeling it myself right now as my fs9 (which was huge!) had been running beautifully before the windows problem. Good luck Holger!Bill

After a forced reinstall of a new operating system (former: Windows XP Home, now: XP Professional), I reinstalled FS2004, updated to FS9 and then copied my FS9 folder and all the other folders for add-ons and tools from where I had saved them. I understand I have to reinstall payware, because it gets registered in the registry. I did that. Still, FS9 crashes while loading. Any hints on how to migrate with FS9? I don't want to install every single program, this would be very painstaking.Best regards,Holger
Hi Holger,I've successfully moved my FS9 installation from one PC to another so I'll go against the flow suggesting only a clean install will work.You don't say what error you got when starting FS9. That would help diagnose the problem.Did you move/copy the FS9.CFG to your new computer too or did FS9 create a new one? And I guess you mean updated to FS9.1?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well, I must say that I now do a full back up at least once a week, with incrementals one or two additional times during that week. But backups really won't help with an OS change, especially if going from an 32 bit to 64 bit system. It ends up being the same as moving a copy of the FS9 folder over.But once the new OS is installed and running in top form there ain't nothing like having the confidence of a full back up at your fingertips! :(

Addons use the registry too, you can't just copy the folder over and expect it all to work. The only for sure way really is by reinstalling everything clean from the actual installers.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks for all the help and especially for cheering me up! I was actually successful doing this:1. Re-install of FS2004 only2. Then upgrade to FS9.13. Simple copying of my old folders over the new ones (also in the "Documents and Settings" folder and in "My files").4. Reinstalling all payware (to please the registry)(still crashes)5. Then I found this tool "Flusifix" (http://www.wolfgang-picheta.de/) It generated a new FS9.CFG, and with this, the crash indicated that the fault was in the Squawkbox.dlls. This I had not reinstalled!So thanks again for all the help!Best regards, and have a happy new year with lots of flying,Holger

Holger TillmannSIM: FS9/2004 // FSX<p>CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 4x3.40GHz (for FSX OCed to 4.2), GPU: ASUS GTX 760 Direct CU II OC, GeForce® 9800 GTX +MB: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 Z87 DDR3RAM: Crucial 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL8 Ballistix Tactical

Guest FredGherkin
Thanks for all the help and especially for cheering me up! I was actually successful doing this:1. Re-install of FS2004 only2. Then upgrade to FS9.13. Simple copying of my old folders over the new ones (also in the "Documents and Settings" folder and in "My files").4. Reinstalling all payware (to please the registry)(still crashes)5. Then I found this tool "Flusifix" (http://www.wolfgang-picheta.de/) It generated a new FS9.CFG, and with this, the crash indicated that the fault was in the Squawkbox.dlls. This I had not reinstalled!So thanks again for all the help!Best regards, and have a happy new year with lots of flying,Holger
Glad you got it together without the absolutely ridiculous suggestion to reformat. I don't remember where I copied this from but it's pretty much what you did:QUICK FS REINSTALL PROCEDUREBackup of your SettingsMake a backup of the following folder:C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9Restore the backup after doing the quick reinstall as described in the next point.Backup of your FS System (Planes, Modules, Scenery,...)Given you current install is inC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9(if not, adapt further references to this path a bit)Rename this directory toC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 BackupNow do a minimal install, in the original directoryC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9Apply the update 9.1 patch (only if you did it before too)To finish, delete theC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9Rename theC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 Backupback toC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9

To finish, delete theC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9Rename theC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 Backupback toC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9
Fred, the few times I've had to "fix FS9" this is precisely the procedure I've used, and it has worked everytime without fail... ;)In fact, I recently performed essentially the same thing when I installed FS9 and FSX on my new i7 machine, except in this case I copied the complete FS9 and FSX folders across my network... :(The only difference being that I never install either one to ..\Program Files, prefering to use shorter paths such as E:\FS9 and E:\FSX... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest FredGherkin
Fred, the few times I've had to "fix FS9" this is precisely the procedure I've used, and it has worked everytime without fail... ;)In fact, I recently performed essentially the same thing when I installed FS9 and FSX on my new i7 machine, except in this case I copied the complete FS9 and FSX folders across my network... :(The only difference being that I never install either one to ..\Program Files, prefering to use shorter paths such as E:\FS9 and E:\FSX... :(
Was that your procedure I posted? I usually give credit for things that I find on the 'net, but that one was copied and pasted from some unknown source. I use ClipCache which saves everything that you copy and paste and one can create folders for all of the clips. I didn't add the source for that one.