Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ehasanov1

XP64:RAID0 or not?

Hi.I posted this on hardware forum, but here is much more traffic so ;-)I'm in process of formatting and installing XP64 bit.Now I have dilemma, to do RAID 0 (I have 2 320gb baracudas) or not.What is the better solution.In case normal installation with two identical disks, is it better to install fs9 stuff on that second HD?Thanks in advanceEdin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID_0#RAID_0 lists pros and cons of raid 0. Basically it provides a performance increase without any drive failure recovery. There is no data redundancy. Your RAID 0 volume would be 640 Gb before formatting with all of the mapping data.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID_0#RAID_1 states that RAID 1 will mirror the data between the two 320 GB disks. The volume after drive mapping will be a bit less than the 320 capacity of the single disk but you (according to this article) will get some performance improvement. The mirroring is in real time and offers recovery from a hardware disk failure. It will not protect you from malware nor necessarily a corrupted file caused by operating system failure since the same data is written to both disks.The RAID functions can either be in a firmware installed controller or in a system software driver. In my opinion firmware control of RAIDs offers a more robust solution in that the standard RAID system calls would be standard across operating system version as opposed to proprietary drive mapping at the O/S level. See what your dedicated or on-motherboard chip have to offer.
Hi.I posted this on hardware forum, but here is much more traffic so ;-)I'm in process of formatting and installing XP64 bit.Now I have dilemma, to do RAID 0 (I have 2 320gb baracudas) or not.What is the better solution.In case normal installation with two identical disks, is it better to install fs9 stuff on that second HD?Thanks in advanceEdin

Support for RAID I guess has improved lately (I don't think you have you have a driver disk to install Win7 to RAID any more?) but still seems to add administrative hassle to your set up. I'm not sure you see a significant performance benefit.scott s..

Support for RAID I guess has improved lately (I don't think you have you have a driver disk to install Win7 to RAID any more?) but still seems to add administrative hassle to your set up. I'm not sure you see a significant performance benefit.scott s..
HiProbably you're right.I will go for normal nonraid installationThanksEdin

Ive been running raid0 using win XP for many years. Havn't had one problem. Read performance increased almost 20%. But I always backup my raid install every month just in case of problems.Bill M