Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpiritFlyer

Haiti

It's hard to think about much else when so many are on the edge of death in Haiti, stiil alive but still buried, as today, any hour now, must bring rescue or all is lost. My thoughts and prayers are with the broken and their families. Please give out of your excess for those who will carry on.Stephen

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's hard to think about much else when so many are on the edge of death in Haiti, stiil alive but still buried, as today, any hour now, must bring rescue or all is lost. My thoughts and prayers are with the broken and their families. Please give out of your excess for those who will carry on.Stephen
Agreed! One of the easiest ways to donate is the cell phone method which is easy,legit and goes to the Red Cross..texting "Haiti" to the number 90999 will give a $10 donation to the Red Cross.

yes, the latest numbers are really terrible. The Haitian government estimates that there are an additional 100,000 still in the rubble, with some of them still alive. Something over 40,000 have been buried by the authorities in mass graves, but the loss of life increases every minute now.Stephen

It sounds to me like the situation is amplified by the fact that Haiti is 3rd world, and because of that, the buildings were crap to begin with. It also sounds to me like the best option would be to do what the US is doing now, sending in the marines!

the buildings were crap to begin with.
i have to slightly disagree with you. certainly most of the buildings were not constructed well. however, there were a few created by the best of french and american architects (which also collapsed). an example is the Citibank headquarters in haiti. Earthquakes are very very very very rare in Haiti. buildings were not built to support these strong quakes.

It also sounds to me like the best option would be to do what the US is doing now, sending in the marines!
And that's true. The money that's donated by the well-meaning will not result in pulling more people from the rubble...only the people in-place now and the troops that arrive in the next day or so can do that.It appears that the port facilities in PAP were badly trashed by the quake, so the needed heavy equipment and supplies will not be able to come ashore close to where they're needed. The airport is also limited by available ramp space (what we call "MOG" or max on the ground limits). This is a tough, time-sensitive logistical challenge, and the difficult truth is that many will perish in the next few days simply because there is no way to get enough men and material into affected areas of PAP fast enough to dig them out.The medium-term challenges are going to be how to keep the place from descending completely into riots and anarchy (the Haitians have a propensity towards this already), and providing food/water to millions of people that were just a hair's breadth from starving before this even happened.A month from now, when donor fatigue has set in and the flow of money stops, then begins the real challenge...one that in the end only the Haitians themselves can surmount. I have high hopes, but low expectations of success there. I think we need to be getting ready to turn back another Haitian boat lift. I do understand Spirit Flyer is going to offer the Canadian government space for 25 or so refugees at his house. :( RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO