Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

christiaan

New shop bought computer

Have basic knowledge of what makes a PC tickGetting a new PC in the next few months as my present PC has not the specs. for FSX.This is a ready-made HP Priority for this PC is the FSX, along with the FS9.Have a lot of add-ons to install on both FS.No knowledge about OC, so this is not an option, how much will theTURBO of the 860 be increased for the FS's.How much space does 2 FS's with a lot of "heavy" add-ons need on a HD as I will be installing on the 2nd HD.Specs.Windows

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Christiaan, I don't know where you are located but I would consider getting a custom made pc from a high volume game PC maker such as Cyberpower or Ibuy power, they will be cheaper than store bought, don't come loaded with junk software, and are made with the gamer in mind. They will even overclock them if you want.Have a look at their site and compare the price of your PC to one with similar specs from them. I bought one a few years ago and am very satisfied with the results.their site(www.cyberpowerpc.com) is ugly and confusing, but if you patiently navigate it you should find what you are looking for.

I would suggest skipping the RAID configuration and you certainly don't want to use 5400RPM hard drives. Everything else looks good and should allow for flying FS9 maxed out with add-ons, FSX will need a few settings turned down to medium but most settings can be run at full.

Thanks for your quick replies.I live in the Netherlands.What is meant by skipping the RAID configuration?

The configuration you've outlined has two hard drives in it, likely setup in a RAID array which is unnecessary for performance and actually detrimental to data integrity as having twice the number of disks means twice the failure rate.

The configuration you've outlined has two hard drives in it, likely setup in a RAID array which is unnecessary for performance and actually detrimental to data integrity as having twice the number of disks means twice the failure rate.
What Max said. And putting your OS onto a RAID array is an adventure in a** pain I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Lots of utilities like defrag and backup software won't work on a RAID volume, either.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Learning something everytime, I will continu my search for a suitable PC.Thanks once again.Christiaan.