Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpiritFlyer

Maiden Flight 747-800 Happening Now

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Wow!!Been waiting for this a while, I cannot wait till the first videos of the flight are available.Thanks for the newsRichy

Wow!!Been waiting for this a while, I cannot wait till the first videos of the flight are available.Thanks for the newsRichy
45 minutes until scheduled landing.

I'm kind of surprised not seeing any other posts on this! But, congrats Boeing! :( It's a shame I couldn't get out of school to go up to Everett.It's 747-8, not -800.

Congrats to Boeing,and kudos to them for bringing it live via the interweb.I had great fun watching,especially the interview with the old designerof the original 747 ... good stuff,and that new 747-8F is a beauty.Must say I love the paintjob too.Here's waiting for the 747-8I ... hope to see that one take off,too.

I'm kind of surprised not seeing any other posts on this! But, congrats Boeing! :( It's a shame I couldn't get out of school to go up to Everett.It's 747-8, not -800.
I'm not sure if this is the case with the 747-8, but we shorten variants sometimes in-house. I work on the 737 line and we often call them "Dash-7", "Dash-8", and "Dash-9", as in "We've got 4 Dash-8's and then a Dash-9 this week." The same was true for the 787. I'm thinking once its released from the flight test program, it'll be -800, if for nothing else, to match the pattern. Semantics, I know. ;)

One thing that is interesting is it doesn't seem to have the high wing flex that was predicted. This would make the PMDG adaption of the 747-8i inaccurate, which has a pretty severe wing flex like the 787 does.

I'm not sure if this is the case with the 747-8, but we shorten variants sometimes in-house. I work on the 737 line and we often call them "Dash-7", "Dash-8", and "Dash-9", as in "We've got 4 Dash-8's and then a Dash-9 this week." The same was true for the 787. I'm thinking once its released from the flight test program, it'll be -800, if for nothing else, to match the pattern. Semantics, I know. ;)
Boeing itself calls the airplane "747-8" on their website, whereas most of the other 747 versions have hundreds as the model number.I hope you don't confuse the 738s with the Q400s if you call them that. :(

Boeing itself calls the airplane "747-8" on their website, whereas most of the other 747 versions have hundreds as the model number.
True, along with the passenger version, the -8I (for Intercontinental), but based on other factors (such as the 787 being differentiated the same way, i.e. "dash-7", etc.), I'm still pretty confident it'll be 800 when the ink dries.
I hope you don't confuse the 738s with the Q400s if you call them that. :(
The 707's original nickname would like to have a word with you. ;) (EDIT: Oops, that was Dash-80. Long day at work plus late night posting equals cloudy thinkin') Of course, it goes without saying since all we do at Renton now are 737 airframes, but... yeah. :D