Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

How is the new FFX/SGA DC-10 series?

I have many of the Freeware Flight group (FFG) DC-10s from quite some time ago, and think they did a stunning job with the visual models and also with the FDE. They fly pretty much by the numbers. I use them with Staffan's DC-10 panel. I see that FFX/SGA has now released the DC-10 series and am wondering, do I need to download them too? Are they must-haves? How are the FFX visual models compared with the FFG models?JS

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>>I have many of the Freeware Flight group (FFG) DC-10s from>quite some time ago, and think they did a stunning job with>the visual models and also with the FDE. They fly pretty much>by the numbers. I use them with Staffan's DC-10 panel. >>I see that FFX/SGA has now released the DC-10 series and am>wondering, do I need to download them too? Are they>must-haves? How are the FFX visual models compared with the>FFG models?>>JSThe FFX DC-10 are EXCELLENT! I'm not a real DC-10 Pilot so I can't comment on the FDE being accurate but it "feels right". The visual models are also the most accurate in FS ever...EXTREMELY accurate in both detail and dimension.As far as airliners go, it is the only "Heavy" I fly right now.If you are a DC-10 fan do yourself a favor an GET THE FFX DC-10s, you will NOT be disappointed!!!!!:)

>>I have many of the Freeware Flight group (FFG) DC-10s from>quite some time ago, and think they did a stunning job with>the visual models and also with the FDE. They fly pretty much>by the numbers. I use them with Staffan's DC-10 panel. >>I see that FFX/SGA has now released the DC-10 series and am>wondering, do I need to download them too? Are they>must-haves? How are the FFX visual models compared with the>FFG models?>>JSI have both. I really liked the FFG ones, and the FFX visual model is an improvement overall. Some of the textures are real gorgeous. The landing gear needs work though, and it's a tad too big and long.The FDE though, IMO, needs the most work. It flies like a 757. DC-10s ain't no rockets if you know what I mean. These things are real sluggish in real life. A fully loaded DC-10 takes up all the runway you can throw at it to take off and then climbs like a lead balloon. The FFG FDE really captured this feeling.If you're a real DC-10 fan like I am you'll probably want it. I just downloaded an IB -30 today and am about to land in MAD after an overnight trans-Atlantic flight and I couldn't stop looking at it in spot view the whole flight. It looks just like the real thing. All lit up, it's beautiful.

FFX/SGA all the way.........seeing as how FFG is practically dead, they're probably turning in their graves over FFX/SGA's exploison into the FS scene. FFG was good back in the day of FSDS but failed to do anything with new standards. They just stopped.

They are beautiful aircraft, always loved this design, and they did an awesome job on them, BUT I wish (need) they had a VC!!!!!!!!!Otherwise, excellent aircraft.Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Nice to see it. Sad about FFG. Was always one of my favorites, but times change, and you have to keep up with them.As for the FDE's, on the upgrade, some issues will be addressed. We just brought on board a current verified airline pilot into our group and he will be assisting us with his knowledge. He is currently flying left seat in an MD80, and has 16 years flying experience. His flight time also includes the 727 and DC10 to name some. Can't say the airline though for specific reasons. Our FDE's can only get better now. It's a great addition to the group.As for the landing gear, the size etc is exactly to scale per blueprints. Adding additional details to them will only be limited to texturing them on the upgrade. No more detilas like hoses etc will be added.VC... sorry, but our policy is to make our aircraft as accurate as possible and keep it system/FS friendly. I myself like "extreme eye candy", (regarding finer model details) but the purpose of FS is to fly and not stare at the aircraft on the ground all day. :( As mentioned above, times change, and in time, we will change as well and offer more eye candy as our releases progress. If it's any consolation to anyone, the L1011 slated for release at the end of the year is supposed to have a VC and VCabin. But that will all have to be seen first if it comes to be. Depends on what we run into during the process.Mikehttp://sgair.net/mike/mike/mike_small.jpg

Sounds great Mike, do you have an approximate date for the FDE's ? (note approximate !)Good to see the Tristar is being included, may I respectfully request, if you do include a VC and cabin, please will you offer one of each ? The reason ? Whilst VC's & Cabins are very nice for those with loaded systems, my steam driven machine struggles with some of the eye candy features in some renditions, boo hoo, I'd hate to miss out.CheersAsh

I think one of the great features of the FFG version were the engines. They are absolutly beautiful even by today's standards. When I noticed the FFX version was released I was excited because I love their other ac but I thought they would never be able to create a engine as wonderful as FFG. Well they did. The FFX version is every bit as beautiful as the FFG and then some. With the addition of all of the GMAX features, I quickly deleted all of the FFG dc10's fom my HD.I can't judge the FDE but my only complaint is that the night textures in wing view look odd. They are seem really grainey.-Jeff