Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

Need help with "Engage IAS" and "Autothrottle on/off"

I'm not sure if I'm getting the phraseology wrong. The engine has recognized nearly every command I've sent so far, albeit sometimes after a couple tries. However, I can not seem to get the engine to recognize the following...1. Engage I A S (speaking it "engage I - A - S"). I'm expecting it to engage the MCP Speed/IAS speed control mode.2. Autothrottle (speaking it "Autothrottle on"). Simple, I would expect this to flip the authothrottle to on (I'm in the air when I'm trying this).I'm also have some difficulty with autopilot on/off, but that works sometimes.So, am I doing anything wrong? Or is it a matter of the voice recognition engine? I'm a native English-US speaker, so I don't think accents are the root of the problem.Thanks for your help.

Eric Szczesniak

Hi,The Maddog's DFGS is a bit more complex than the average system. I assume you're probably referring to the autothrottle speed mode and not the IAS pitch mode.You're looking for this command:"SET SPEED _____"Ie., "Set speed two five zero".Wheels must be off the ground for this command to work."ENGAGE IAS" engages the IAS pitch mode, but most of you use VNAV I suspect so you wouldn't use it very often.For Autopilot/Autothrottle....Wheels must be off the ground and the Displayed Mode (as shown in the FS2Crew Main Panel) must be greater than INITIAL CLIMB (ie., the point where you call gear up).So if the wheels are off the ground but you're still in BEFORE START or TAXI mode or something, the command won't function.Again, the reason I did it this way is too help eliminate undesired commands from happening when you wouldn't want them to should the speech system misinterpret a sound it detects. You don't for example want the FO raising the landing gear on the ground if you yawn or something and the speech recognition system thinks you said 'gear up'.Best,

Thanks for the reply. It seems I'm a bit confused on the speed commands though. Here is what I thought I was getting:1. "Set Speed ___": Set's the MCP speed window, but does not change thrust or vertical modes.2. "Engage I A S": changes thrust mode to IAS/SPD3. "Engage Speed Select": sets IAS pitch mode.Apparently I'm wrong here. But does this mean that I can't get have the copilot set the MCP speed without change thrust mode to IAS/SPD? Normally on departure I'd be on FMS SPD mode for thrust, but it would be nice to have indepedent control of this. Thanks for helping me clarify all of this.

Eric Szczesniak

Guest Cyril_Murat

Hi!

Apparently I'm wrong here.
Yes you are :(
1. "Set Speed ___": Set's the MCP speed window, but does not change thrust or vertical modes.
That is true
2. "Engage I A S": changes thrust mode to IAS/SPD
False. It changes the THRUST mode from SPD to CLAMP and the PITCH mode to IAS.
3. "Engage Speed Select": sets IAS pitch mode.
False. It selects the SPD THRUST mode if on altitude holding or it arms this mode if on VS or IAS mode.Don't forget: SPD is a THRUST mode and IAS is a PITCH mode.
Does this mean that I can't get have the copilot set the MCP speed without change thrust mode to IAS/SPD?
You can have the copilot set the MCP Speed (SPD, not IAS) if:-> On IAS or VS mode (or FMS overide but you'll see it maybe later :( ) and your speed will be armed-> On Altitude hold and your speed will be commanded by thrust
Normally on departure I'd be on FMS SPD mode for thrust, but it would be nice to have indepedent control of this.
You do have independent control of this using the FMS overide mode (just ask for "Engage FMS Overide to your F/O")
Thanks for helping me clarify all of this.
I hope I did.Regards and best flights.Cyril

Wow that is more complicated than I thought :( !!!! I'm used to the Boeing Stuff : LNAV, VNAV, and FLCH, THR.Now I need to get back to school to learn the Maddog.

vpa055.png

Guest Samuli

Hi all.If you permit me to give a small hint, this will help you to understand the DFGS:The 4 different modes you have available for the FGS/AP, that you can see announced on the FMA are:-Autothrottle mode-ARM mode-Roll mode-Pitch modeARM mode you know it's the one where you see all modes that you arm, but are not active yet.Now, in order to not create confusion you need to make clear distinction between IAS/MACH modes (which are pitch modes, even if related to a speed or mach number), and SPD SEL/MACH SEL modes, which are Autothrottle modes.SPD SEL/ MACH SEL modes:These are ment to maintain a selected speed with the thrust. Independent of the aircraft attitude. is it in level flight, climbing or descending.IAS/MACH modes:These are meant to maintain a selected speed/mach with the pitch of the aircraft. In this case the thrust is not used to maintain the speed/mach, but the rate of descent.Need to descend faster, reduce thrust so the acft will need to pitch down to maintain the speed.When using IAS/MACH descent or climb, you have 2 possible autothrottle modes:-CLMP-EPR LIMEPR LIM is the one that will give you the maximum thrust setting according the EPR bugs (TRP mode).CLMP is a mode in which AT is engaged (ON), but you manually adjust the thrust setting.By engaging IAS/MACH modes will always clamp the autothrottles, with the exception of TAKOFF/GA modes, and if EPR LIM is already engaged for some reason.So when you fly, command or speak about those, try to be precise about the modes as SPD is not the same than IAS... and even more difficult, MACH is not the same than MACH SEL.When flying it is quite easy, just read what is written in the pushbuttons :( Happy landings,Samuli

Excellent help. Like many others, I "grew up" on Boeings and am not 100% familiar with the autopilot/thrust modes. I got this bird several months (maybe even years) ago and learned enough to fly it point A to B at that time. Put it down for a long time while I was transitioning to FSX (the FSX version didn't perform so well on my system at the time).Well, I saw the FS2Crew come out for this and like the idea of the "voice commander". In particular being able to speak commands for the MCP. I hate not hand flying at least the first 5 minutes of a departure, but was always frustrated with the quality of my flying as I was messing with MCP knobs and ATC. Well, we got rid of all of the MCP with this at least and I don't feel too bad ignoring MSFS ATC for a couple minutes while things slow down....so...After re-reading a bunch of manuals to refresh my knowledge I setup to try my first real flight (previously I just tested here and there). Flew KBOS to KJFK tonight with real weather (KBOS 3 SM -SN and KJFK 1400RVR +SN) and all I can say is this is an awesome add-on. I had been set on the MD-11 as my go to aircraft split up with the JS41 a bit. The MD-11 had FS2Crew and is what got me hooked on the setup (I never got it for the default aircraft because, well, they're default). I have a feeling I won't be flying anything else now until the PMDG NGX (and hopefully not too long after with FS2Crew) are available. Great job guys.

Eric Szczesniak