Sign in to follow this  
jcalder

ASA - Weather getting "stuck"

Hello,I'm having an interesting problem with ASA that I can't seem to find any info on. I'm hoping it's a setting that I have wrong or something.I start ASA, then I start FSX. I select my airplane (usually PMDG 747 or MD11, sometimes Level D 767) then select airport. Then I press the "Fly now" button.When the sim is done loading it says ASA is starting weather depiction. All is well, wind, temp, clouds, all that is fine. I prepare my plane, pushback go and wait for all that UT2 traffic to take off and land and takeoff myself. All is still well.As I climb the winds shift all over and temperatures go down. I have FSUIPC registered since I prefer that for wind smoothing over DWC so my ATIS reports are still accurate.So I climb up to cruise. Now is when funny stuff starts. I noticed it in the MD11 progress page on the FMC where it gives you a wind read-out. Just for arguments sake, since I can't remember the actual numbers I had wind at 261/58. This showed up on the FMC and on the NAV display it said like 263/61. I figure one is real-time and one isn't, not sure, but they are close so I didn't care. Now for awhile the speed will shift up or down by a couple of knots.Now I'm cruising at FL330, I notice the timer on the MD11 has surpassed 45 minutes. I look at the wind. Still 261/58. Now I'm suspicious. The wind hasn't changed at all in FSX over 45 minutes? That can't be right. A month ago I'd be tossed all over by now.But I let it go for awhile yet. When the timer exceeded 1:30 and the wind was still 261/58 I was positive something was wrong. So I switched to windowed mode, which is terribly annoying on my multi-monitor setup, opened ASA and clicked the "report" tab. The "report" tab was showing much different information. The wind on the report tab was 155/73 at FL300. With a temperature of something like -61.ASA knew where my plane was, on the map it was showing correctly, but in FSX nothing was changing.So I closed ASA. I opened it again while the plane was flying, once it loaded and sent output to FSX, I saw my plane go crazy and the proper wind and temperature info showed up. Happy with this I switch back to full-screen and continue on my merry way.About 30 minutes later, the wind/temp is seeming stuck again. So I go check ASA again. Sure enough, ASA report tab is showing proper weather station but the weather it's displaying is not showing up in FSX. With yet another shutdown of ASA and restart of ASA, FSX displays proper weather again.Something is fishy. I'm using B433. I'm thinking simconnect issue but I have no idea. Hopefully someone smarter than me can help.Thank you!Jeff Calder

Jeff Calder

Hello,I'm having an interesting problem with ASA that I can't seem to find any info on. I'm hoping it's a setting that I have wrong or something.I start ASA, then I start FSX. I select my airplane (usually PMDG 747 or MD11, sometimes Level D 767) then select airport. Then I press the "Fly now" button.When the sim is done loading it says ASA is starting weather depiction. All is well, wind, temp, clouds, all that is fine. I prepare my plane, pushback go and wait for all that UT2 traffic to take off and land and takeoff myself. All is still well.As I climb the winds shift all over and temperatures go down. I have FSUIPC registered since I prefer that for wind smoothing over DWC so my ATIS reports are still accurate.So I climb up to cruise. Now is when funny stuff starts. I noticed it in the MD11 progress page on the FMC where it gives you a wind read-out. Just for arguments sake, since I can't remember the actual numbers I had wind at 261/58. This showed up on the FMC and on the NAV display it said like 263/61. I figure one is real-time and one isn't, not sure, but they are close so I didn't care. Now for awhile the speed will shift up or down by a couple of knots.Now I'm cruising at FL330, I notice the timer on the MD11 has surpassed 45 minutes. I look at the wind. Still 261/58. Now I'm suspicious. The wind hasn't changed at all in FSX over 45 minutes? That can't be right. A month ago I'd be tossed all over by now.But I let it go for awhile yet. When the timer exceeded 1:30 and the wind was still 261/58 I was positive something was wrong. So I switched to windowed mode, which is terribly annoying on my multi-monitor setup, opened ASA and clicked the "report" tab. The "report" tab was showing much different information. The wind on the report tab was 155/73 at FL300. With a temperature of something like -61.ASA knew where my plane was, on the map it was showing correctly, but in FSX nothing was changing.So I closed ASA. I opened it again while the plane was flying, once it loaded and sent output to FSX, I saw my plane go crazy and the proper wind and temperature info showed up. Happy with this I switch back to full-screen and continue on my merry way.About 30 minutes later, the wind/temp is seeming stuck again. So I go check ASA again. Sure enough, ASA report tab is showing proper weather station but the weather it's displaying is not showing up in FSX. With yet another shutdown of ASA and restart of ASA, FSX displays proper weather again.Something is fishy. I'm using B433. I'm thinking simconnect issue but I have no idea. Hopefully someone smarter than me can help.Thank you!Jeff Calder
HiYou are not alone with this, i too had it, but i got it to change almost like it should. In FSUIP i uncheck'd "Make change to FSX own weather" or something like that, i do not remember the words.I'm using DWC in ASA and wind smooth in FSUIP together, almost happy now, but sometimes i get that frustating TAT problem, in a 6-7 hours flight it can pop up 3-4 times, only thing i can do then is restart ASA as quick as possible, have to live with it like this, until JimS, maybe have a patch for this. :( I'm using B433, FSX ASA over network...BRGDSStein-Ove RudNorway

Had something similar... but in my case it was same weather everywhere. Now i use DWC - I follow ATIS from ASA and things seem fine but TAT problem is still there. BTW I notice it only in Europe - never in US.

Tom Link

Had something similar... but in my case it was same weather everywhere. Now i use DWC - I follow ATIS from ASA and things seem fine but TAT problem is still there. BTW I notice it only in Europe - never in US.
I'm on a test flight KJFK-EDDF right now, i had two TAT malfunction's, and both over land in NA (Canada), right before entering Atlantic, restart ASA both times, work's ok now, now i'm on Final RW07R EDDF, 7.12 hours airborne.All looks good.Stein-Ove

I had the problem, but someone solved it in another thread. I set Dynamic Rate of Change in ASA to 50% (previously 0%). That fixed it. It didn't need DWC, which for me slows Radar Contact down to a crawl.

Petraeus

Regarding Radar Contact and DWC, then I have solution given by "the Boss" Set ASA on different core than RC. It will work fine :) at least it works for me.

Tom Link