Sign in to follow this  
usmc3073

major problems with VOXATC

Thanks gentlemen, I'll try the download and give it a whirl.
The download will get you started but it will not have the two high quality TTS voices that are bundled with the $49.95 DVD. You will be stuck with the Microsoft TTS voices Mike, Sam , Mary or Anna if you have Vista or Win 7 OS. As for issues with VoxATC it has worked very well for me, but I only use it to fly IFR in the US. If flying VFR I usually just use the stock ATC.

Just a 'word up' about the download/registered version. If you did what i did, and bought it on a friday evening. You get sent an email after you've paid saying "thanks awfully, but, you'll have to wait till monday before you can actually use it". Apparently some bloke in an office in Bristol has to confirm your payment, and he only works monday to friday. There ain't no automated system. Which, in this day and age, for an internet based company, is quite shocking, especially when you think how much this addon costs.As to the other issues, i've come to the conclusion that there must be some sort of software limitation written into the unregistered/demo version. Meaning it doesn't work properly anywhere outside the US. At least, i hope that's the case, otherwise i've just wasted 50 quid.Also, about the voices. Pay a visit to http://cepstral.com/ and download some of their demo voices, the 8mhz ones work best, especially the two British voices. They do tell you to "buy me now" and say "this is not a licensed version" quite often, but, to be honest, it's not all that irritating, and even with that, it's a damn sight better than Microsoft Sam and his bint Mary

The Monday to Friday work hours are indeed quite uncommon today but I think they state this somewhere in the payment process. If you buy the download on Friday and get your code on Monday you can only hope to have some trial days left, I agree.There's no limitation in the demo version except the one that limits the time of usage. So whatever annoys you now will annoy you later.Funny solution with the voices by the way. "Turn left heading register me please 090, if you've already bought me, then turn right 170" LOL.gifI recommend everyone willing to buy VoxATC to test it with the default (and therefor cheap) voices before buying additional ones. They are quite expensive and of course don't change any logic in the ATC behavior. As for myself, these logics and missing options currently stopped my VoxATC usage. I'm back to the old button press solution of another ATC addon where I can define some things and receive fine guidance on all imaginable approaches.I don't regret testing and buying VoxATC, but I would regret spending another xx Euro for voices.

The blurb on the payment process does mention the Mon-Fri issue, but, the way it's worded suggests this concerns only the shipping and postage times i.e with a CD/DVD or other hardware that the shop sells, but there's no specific mention that this includes downloaded software as well. I did send them an email suggesting they should perhaps hi-light this particular quirk when selecting the download version. But, i guess they won't read it until Monday :)As i've been searching t'tinternet all week looking for a solution to the problems, i do remember seeing documentation stating that in demo mode you're more or less limited to the airports used in the 3 example flights. You can fly anywhere you want, but, you'll not get the full fat, blood, guts and glory version. Whether or not that was the current version of Voxatc or an older one i don't know. But i can confirm that if i'm flying anywhere outside the US i'm unable to open a flight plan. And if i'm flying within the US but not at the three airports, i can open a flight plan, but procedural info and frequency changes are fairly rare in both VFR and IFR. This is the only thing that makes sense to me. There's simply no other explanation for the limitations i've found on my demo. There's nothing in my version of FSX nor on my computer that could cause such a thing, it must be inbuilt software limitations.As to the voices, i'll agree the external addon voice sets are expensive, and probably not worth the money if i'm being honest, but, as i said above, i really don't mind the repeated "please buy me" messages. The little English girl sounds quite cute when she says it, so....;)Ok, so Voxatc may have a few missing options and a few issues with logic. But, i find when i'm using the stock MSFS button press i quickly find myself paying no attention to what's being said. Press 1, change the radio automatically, press 1, change the transponder automatically, press B, change the baro automatically, press ctrl-whateveritis, change the mixture automatically, i really hate all that. I mean, i never even use the autopilot, ever !. I've loved flight sims since the mid 90's and the more interactive it can get, the better in my opinion, and Voxatc - albeit flawed - just adds to that. And, i also wanted to learn atc proceedures more true to real life than what the inbuilt atc provides in FSX. Lets just hope the full paid version doesn't have any of the problems i've described above !

Hoping for you too, that the paid version unlocks the momentarily missing features for you.A bit off topic now, but I again must state that this software lacks of an official forum. In the last days there were some posts with complains, suggestions, wishes and praises, all in a hopefully constructive way and the feedback from the developer side is none.I know that this subforum is unofficial, but as far as I could see, it's the place to be to discuss VoxATC related topics.I don't expect anyone official coming up and screaming "you're so right, coolp" but a bit of support or feedback would be fine, don't you think too?I fully agree on the impression about having a software that really listens to you when flying instead of watching your key presses. At the first few flights I was impressed above all.But said to explore that this freedom comes with some other type of limitations. So there's no win-win with VoxATC or the other ATC products in any way.Even pure online isn't the way to go because some areas never get covered by "real" ATC.

Sorry it took a few days to reply.I've been doing a few test flights, and i've discovered that Voxatc works perfectly on both IFR and VFR flights in both .FLT and .PLN files. But, only if you're flying in the United States. Is this just me ? or does anyone else have problems flying VFR flights in Europe (for example)I must stress i only have the basic Voxatc and not the UK extended addon edition. And, i'm only using the demo at the moment (seeing if it's worth purchasing). But surely VFR should work in the UK as it does in the US, even without the extra goodies of the UK addon bit ?. As i said above, IFR Flights in the UK work fine.Also, to answer the question, i was using a few bits of addon scenery, tileproxy and a few addon aircraft, a couple of Carenado GA planes and a handful of Just Flight aircraft. However, in a desperate attempt to get this thing working properly, i un-installed everything, including FSX, and tried it again on a vanilla version of FSX upon re-installation. But same results as above.I'd happily buy the full version + UK addon if i knew for certain that it works correctly on VFR flights in the UK and the rest of Europe.
Mazz4200,First, I have done a lot of IFR flights in UK and Europe with VoxATC and never had any problems with it. I usually do not do any VFR flights at all, but give me a departure/arrival airport and I will try one for you (short one please :( ).Second, you talk of basic and full version of VoxATC. As I see it on the VoxATC website you can buy the following:1. VoxATC with voice recognition.2. VoxATC without voice recognition.3. VoxATC UK addon.The VoxATC UK addon is just an addon, so without it you will still be able to use VoxATC when flying in the UK.

First, I have done a lot of IFR flights in UK and Europe with VoxATC and never had any problems with it. I usually do not do any VFR flights at all, but give me a departure/arrival airport and I will try one for you (short one please :( ).
Ok, if you don't mind smile.gifLet's say, depart from Shoreham Airport EGKA, leaving from parking 9. And fly VFR to Luton Airport EGGW. It's only 60 or 70 miles, but you'll have to navigate your way past Gatwick and Heathrow, so there should be plenty of hand offs, and plenty of traffic. I'd also recommend you take a small GA plane (Shoreham has quite a short runway). But, and this is important, try it with the demo version. I'm not sure if it's possible to install a demo version next to a paid-for version, but that is probably the most important thing, it has to be the demo version.When i try this flight, i'm allowed to change frequency for airport transition (via the '0' option), but, i can't open a flight plan, get no traffic advisories, i'm never told to hand off to anywhere other than the final destination etc etc. Just as a little test, at some stage of the flight you should (as far as i'm aware) be told to hand off to London Centre on 118.47. If you're not given this option, ask for it yourself, see what happens. For me, i can ask for a frequency change, which is usually accepted, but the Vox panel won't allow me to change it !Thanks for that, it would be interesting to test it on another system, but, as i said above, it must be the demo version.

Ok, if you don't mind smile.gifLet's say, depart from Shoreham Airport EGKA, leaving from parking 9. And fly VFR to Luton Airport EGGW. It's only 60 or 70 miles, but you'll have to navigate your way past Gatwick and Heathrow, so there should be plenty of hand offs, and plenty of traffic. I'd also recommend you take a small GA plane (Shoreham has quite a short runway). But, and this is important, try it with the demo version. I'm not sure if it's possible to install a demo version next to a paid-for version, but that is probably the most important thing, it has to be the demo version.When i try this flight, i'm allowed to change frequency for airport transition (via the '0' option), but, i can't open a flight plan, get no traffic advisories, i'm never told to hand off to anywhere other than the final destination etc etc. Just as a little test, at some stage of the flight you should (as far as i'm aware) be told to hand off to London Centre on 118.47. If you're not given this option, ask for it yourself, see what happens. For me, i can ask for a frequency change, which is usually accepted, but the Vox panel won't allow me to change it !Thanks for that, it would be interesting to test it on another system, but, as i said above, it must be the demo version.
Mazz4200,The VoxATC X (FSX) download is time limited to 7 days and you can fly with it anywhere in the FS world. After the demo period, this version must be registered; the help file contains details on how to register VoxATC.The above is a quote from VoxATC website. I see no limitations or restrictions other than the given 7 days. And if you finally register then there is no additional download, so what you have in the demo version is the actual version.Therefore I do not hink that this test does not have to be done with the demo version.I will get back to you after this test VFR flight from Shoreham to Luton.

Mazz4200,Ok, I have done this VFR flight from Shoreham to Luton now and have the following comments:1. Basically a VFR flight consists of Departure, Transitions and Arrival. During the flight you can change to enroute frequency, but not via hand- off, as this is not done in VFR. ATC units will terminate their service and its up to you as a pilot to initiate further contacts.2. If you contact London Center 118.47 you will get traffic advisories automatically, so you dont have to ask for it. Example: London Center <callsign> with you at xxxx feet and so on. London Center will acknowledge and give you QNH, but you have no options here.3. If you are connected to London Center and Gatwick transition zone is coming up, then switch to the Gatwick frequency (your responsibility). Otherwise switch to last frequency and press 0 for options.4. You do not change frequency in the Vox panel, but on your radio comms unit only.5. Opening/closing flight plans via FSS are not done in UK /Europe.My flight was without problems and all transitions went well. I also had a few traffic advisories from London Center.

No, you've misunderstood.When i ask for a frequency change it's usually granted. Then, when i change the frequency manually and click the standby button on the radio panel, then ask for clearance or whatever (as per directed in the help file) from the new frequency, all i get is "repeat please" from the Vox voice, and the Vox panel tells me to change back to the previous frequency, + the Vox panel doesn't give me any alternative options on the '0' setting. I've just done that test flight myself, and after changing to LARS it wouldn't even let me contact Luton Airport (even when i flew straight over it) as described above. Bottom line is, if anyone wants to fly VFR in the UK they'll need to know exactly the correct atc procedures and most likely have a navigational qualification to make Voxatc work correctly, and that's before they even boot up FSX. Coz Voxatc certainly doesn't give you any clues as to what to do next !, this, i think is quite a major problem. It works fine for IFR flights, but VFR, nah, forget it !An example; say you want to fly VFR from Exeter to Newcastle Upon Tyne, a distance of 400miles approx. How the hell am i supposed to know what frequencies to change to and when to change to them ? I can pull up the '0' options and basically take a wild guess at which option to choose, airport transition ? danger area ? LARS ? military zone ? etc. Voxatc knows my flightplan, it knows my direction of travel, it knows which option i should be choosing, but, put simply, i don't, i haven't a clue to be honest. I could pause the game every few minutes and pull up the map, but that ain't much fun and really halts the enjoyment i get from flying, and, the stock FSX map isn't all that informative either. I could use the GPS, but, i'm flying VFR (i.e the old fashioned way, usually VOR to VOR), and, most of my aircraft don't even have a GPS. Another thing is having to press the '0' option key in the first place. I thought one of the advantages of using Voxatc is to do away with the tiresome button pressing, but no, it's back with a vengeance, in VFR it's the only way to make passage.I had hoped Voxatc would be an aid to help learn atc procedures from a beginners point of view, but i was wrong, you're expected to know them before you even plug the thing in. That probably explains why (when reading some of the previous posts in this forum section) there has been so much criticism of the software over the years, and why so many people are left confused and think it's bugged to buggery. Lets not forget, the majority of users will have come to Voxatc directly from using the stock FSX atc after finding it a bit un-interactive. So their expectations are set at a certain level. Only to find Voxatc doesn't give much help at all as to what procedures to follow. Do you understand that ? Do you understand that whilst it does attempt to recreate atc procedures more in line with real world events, it's still an addon for a game !, it's, a game !. I don't know about you, but i certainly don't have the time, nor the access to hundreds of navigational maps and appropriate information in order to fly VFR in the correct manner in the UK, i had hoped Voxatc would take care of all that stuff for me, like FSX does.

Mazz4200,I do not think that VoxATC has ever claimed to be the ATC procedure tutorial system that you seem to need?VoxATC will demand some knowledge from the user, especially with VFR flights.On the other hand, I was able to do a fine VFR flight from Shoreham to Luton and it has been years since I have done this.VoxATC still gives me the '0' options which is nice in my case, but I did not actually have to press the button if I knew what to do beforehand. VoxATC is a step up from the standard FSX ATC. It will demand more from you, but will also give more.You will be surprised to know how many actually study these ATC procedures with maps and all, and then try to perform them in FSX. From my point of view FSX is a simulation, not a game.