Sign in to follow this  
Guest stranex

Autogen "pop up"

Guest stranex

Another issue I am trying to resolve regards the "popping" up of Autogen in the immediate vicinity of the a/c (1-2nm maybe). Is there anyway to either draw the autogen earlier (ie when more distant) or to set it to a level so that there aren't additional autogen buildings popping up.....it's very distracting!!

Hi,This should not be happening. What are your system specs?

Guest stranex
Hi,This should not be happening. What are your system specs?
Hi Jim,I have what I consider as fairly high spec system;i7 860 3.9GhzGTX260 Super O/CWin7 Home Premium 644GB DDR3 1600 at 9-9-9-2424" LCD 1920x1080Just to clarify, some autogen buildings are rendered in the distance but as I fly along, more buildings appear (usually in large blocks....I guess it's a tile?) about 1-2nm away. Those that were drawn in advance of course get more detailed as I approach (like the office blocks in Seattle downtown) but it's the ones that "pop up" that are annoying....particularly at night when the effect is more pronounced due to the lighting of the buildings which suddenly appear.

Guest stranex
I know it's not much help (except for morale?) but you're not alone... Two threads about a similar problem. It's a shame the first is so old that the screenshots have gone because that seemed to be identical to your problem.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=273500http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=271081Regards,Dave
Thanks Dave, I had seen one of those threads but it doesn't seem that the OP found a resolution.I have spent the afternoon reinstalling, defragging and changing drivers to no effect.....feeling very dejected!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong and I'm not a scenery designer...but...I seem to remember someone saying that an objects visibility is built into the object itself. I know that FS9 will not displaying things that are too far away to see but also a bunch of it has to do with the object's visibility. At least that's what I remember.Mark

Guest stranex
Someone correct me if I'm wrong and I'm not a scenery designer...but...I seem to remember someone saying that an objects visibility is built into the object itself. I know that FS9 will not displaying things that are too far away to see but also a bunch of it has to do with the object's visibility. At least that's what I remember.Mark
Cheers Mark, that would certainly seem to make sense as no matter what I do I can't seem to make the buildings appear any earlier? When in full screen mode with the panel hidden (so I only see scenery) I can see the tiles 1-2nm ahead of me "unfolding" as it were and the detail on certain buildings increasing as I approach them. There are also lots of trees that suddenly appear in amongst the other trees that have already been drawn. The textures of the tiles also change at approx the same time leading to an unrealistic "unfolding" of the scenery in the immediate vicinity.Of course, this may just be a trait of FS9 and the defualt scenery? Does anyone know if downloading add on scenery/mesh/landclass etc would help solve this to some degree? Watching FS9 videos on You Tube, there scenery does not seem to pop up as close, or in as great detail as mine but then they all seem to be using add on scenery?I'm extremely keen to get on with my FS9 experience rather than give up hope and move to FSX and really want to get some decent add ons. However I'm reluctant to start spending lots of hard earned cash if it's not going to give any better visual quality than I'm currently experiencing?On a slighty different note (although maybe related to my scenery "problems") I am now noticing that some mountains in the far distance are "flashing" almost as if they are on the sight limit and are being switched on and off at a fast rate. Note this is not all mountains just those that seem furthest away. As I fly along, you can see them getting drawn and eventually the flashing will stop only for new ones to appear. It's very evident when sitting on the runway at KSEA, facing North and playing around with the sight distance seems to alter the rate and those mountains which flash. Lowering the sight distance means different mountains "flash" ie. those nearest me.......can these two scenery problems be related? Anyone else here running a Gigabyte GTX260 Super O/C, Win7 64 and an i7 860? Tried various drivers and reinstalls now without much joy.......FSX is calling me lol!

As far as the flashing mountains/clouds/ etc...You need to set you sight distance to 60...maybe even 30 depending on your graphics card. I have mine set at 60, and am not experiencing this phenomenon. And honestly, 60 miles is the normal sight distance at altitude in the rw. I also don't have that issue with autogen, and can't think of a reason why you would be having that issue. The one thing that grinds me is the large texture blocks that you can see...Especially when flying over the pondMatt

Guest stranex
As far as the flashing mountains/clouds/ etc...You need to set you sight distance to 60...maybe even 30 depending on your graphics card. I have mine set at 60, and am not experiencing this phenomenon. And honestly, 60 miles is the normal sight distance at altitude in the rw. I also don't have that issue with autogen, and can't think of a reason why you would be having that issue. The one thing that grinds me is the large texture blocks that you can see...Especially when flying over the pondMatt
Thanks Matt, will try this later and see the effect......hopefully it won't mean that when the mountains are 60 miles away I see the same thing happening ;-)Still looking for an answer to the autogen though.....do you all suffer from this being rendered at 1-3nm with the default scenery? What about with add on scenery?

Guest stranex
Thanks Matt, will try this later and see the effect......hopefully it won't mean that when the mountains are 60 miles away I see the same thing happening ;-)Still looking for an answer to the autogen though.....do you all suffer from this being rendered at 1-3nm with the default scenery? What about with add on scenery?
Well.....absolutley no joy with the shimmering mountains and I'm almost ready to throw in the towel now!I've re-installed, tried different drivers, different NHancer settings, no Nhaner profile......I EVEN just moved EVERY slider down to the minimum, one by one and unchecked every box and even then, with just in game AA set up so I could tell the difference between the shimmering mountains and shimmering everything else..........they were still there!?!?!?I've tried reducing the visibilty as Matt stated above and have also done it in the cfg file. All that happens is those mountains at the limit of my visibility display the shimmering as they are drawn/rendered into the picture. It's got to be some kind of rendering issue with just that land class because I can run with all sliders maxed out, locked at 60fps and have absolutely no drop offs or stutters. Interestingly (?) when I turn/bank the aircraft, those mountains which are being rendered (and thus shimmering) at that time seem to "undo" themselves gradually only to build back up again quickly as soon as I level off. Same happens if I drop the nose and then raise it or level it off. It's almost as though any extra load being placed on the graphics (in turns, quickly pointing towards the ground) means the rendering of the mountains is undone in order to render anything closer or coming into view as I turn. I'm not sure if this is in anyway related but surprising how the same shimmering occurs even with all sliders to the left and just VERY basic textures, landclass etc being drawn.Maybe some kind soul would like to test their own build and move the sliders fully to the left (except visibility set to far right) and then see, when rolling down the northerly runway at KSEA if you can see the mountains dead ahead in the far distance shimmering? The other place to test is to slew directly north till just south of of KPAE, turn right back towards KSEA and see as Mt St Helens is slowly rendered in gradually more detail. Rather than it appearing smoothly in ever greater detail, it shimmers and "wobbles" for about 10 miles until it is fully rendered and then updates as normal in sudden updates as you get closer and the LOD increasesAnybody with ANY ideas as to what may be causing these issues may just be a life saver (or at least a marriage saver.....been at it non stop now for the last week or so!!)Steve

Guest stranex
HelloGrab a coffee and read the first two posts in this forum linkhttp://realenvironmentxtreme.com/forum/ind...e&board=5.0
Thanks Mad,That's a very interesting article and one which every budding FS tweaker should read. It certainly helps to explain why certain things are the way they are even if some of it does go over my head!Unfortunately, what it doesn't do is help explain what I am seeing? No matter what my settings in the [Terrain] section of the cfg file I get exactly the same results.....vibrating/shimmering/wobbling mountains as they are first rendered into the picture. Surely I can't be the only one who's ever noticed this......?!?

Thanks Mad,That's a very interesting article and one which every budding FS tweaker should read. It certainly helps to explain why certain things are the way they are even if some of it does go over my head!Unfortunately, what it doesn't do is help explain what I am seeing? No matter what my settings in the [Terrain] section of the cfg file I get exactly the same results.....vibrating/shimmering/wobbling mountains as they are first rendered into the picture. Surely I can't be the only one who's ever noticed this......?!?
HelloMine do the same, depending on the cloud textures in use and the visibility distance that my weather program throws at me.Try turning off the FS9 haze layer in your weather program and use one of the transparent cirrus textures from Project bluesphere or if you have ASA or ASX it has an option to use a transparent cirrus texture for the haze.This will also get rid of the hard visibility layer that you sometimes see around mountains/valleys

Guest stranex
HelloMine do the same, depending on the cloud textures in use and the visibility distance that my weather program throws at me.Try turning off the FS9 haze layer in your weather program and use one of the transparent cirrus textures from Project bluesphere or if you have ASA or ASX it has an option to use a transparent cirrus texture for the haze.This will also get rid of the hard visibility layer that you sometimes see around mountains/valleys
Thanks again Mad for your continued support,Unfortunately, the problems continue just the same no matter what my wx, cloud or visibility settings. I only have the default FS9 at present with no add ons and even when setup with zero clouds, vis of 30nm and everything to the left, I see the same things happening. All that ever differs is, depending on where my vis is set, the mountains appear "later" but display the same behaviour. Everything else is clean and crisp bar the "growing" mountains. Like I say, it's fine once they've been rendered, it's just as they start to appear and is much more evident for those mountains which have what I would call "large gradient" differences ie. "jagged" mountainsI've just tried installing another version of FS9 I had lying around.....no change. Also tried rolling back to 182.50 driver that always gets good reviews (even though not completely Win7 compatiable) with no change in this particular behaviourAll I can think now it that's it a GPU or MOBO related problem?

Thanks again Mad for your continued support,Unfortunately, the problems continue just the same no matter what my wx, cloud or visibility settings. I only have the default FS9 at present with no add ons and even when setup with zero clouds, vis of 30nm and everything to the left, I see the same things happening. All that ever differs is, depending on where my vis is set, the mountains appear "later" but display the same behaviour. Everything else is clean and crisp bar the "growing" mountains. Like I say, it's fine once they've been rendered, it's just as they start to appear and is much more evident for those mountains which have what I would call "large gradient" differences ie. "jagged" mountainsI've just tried installing another version of FS9 I had lying around.....no change. Also tried rolling back to 182.50 driver that always gets good reviews (even though not completely Win7 compatiable) with no change in this particular behaviourAll I can think now it that's it a GPU or MOBO related problem?
Hello[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=70.000000 // lower this way down to see what happensTERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000 // lower this valueTERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000 // raise this to 200.000000Using Nhancer try setting your prerender limit higher than the default 3I did not realise that you were using W7, good luck with that.I had to go to XP64 to get rid of all the graphical problems I was having after migrating from XP32 to W764