Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Meigs Field ready yet

Has anyone been able to download the "new" Miegs Field that was on the main Avsim Forum site?jerrycwo4

Jerry,Yes, I registered on the website, got a link to ctivate my account and I have made the download.However, I cannot comment on the scenery itself because I haven't installed it yet.Maybe later tonight...Luc BrusselmansBelgium

No problems here either Jerry.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Hi.I didn't know about this, is it any good??A link would be welcome.Thanks.

I just installed it. Nice job.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest napamule

I just installed it and un-installed it. First of all the 'scenery' is nothing more that a fence, flat cars (1 red one 'normal' AI), helipads (not lit up at night), and it needs .net 2.0 for it's 'configurator' (for switching from 2003 'version' (with X on runway and ditches across runway) to 1999 'version' (normal) for 'switching' to function. You have to run 'configurator' from the Icon installed on desktop. WHO would need all this switching, anyway? Not me. I am in the process of putting files back after a clean wipe of hard drives and did not have .Net 2 installed (yet). I got an error message with loud sound. Bogus.So I did a regular install (made my own folders) and it worked as regular scenery (but have only one 'version' active at any one time). Trouble is the textures are 191 Mb, with 4 Mb of bgl's. I got pauses and stutters when changing directions (using B-206 helio). You have to 'wait' while it loads the textures. And it installs itself in programs group (why?). The author's name is 'R' (just R). What's the mystery? So all in all not worth keeping. The default scenery is plenty good. Sound like he has future plans, too ('..put in elevated runway..). I ain't sticking around for more files to bog my PC down. Too crude ('bmp's made with Gimp'?) and too rude (has an un-install.exe and is in programs group?). The uninstall.exe wipes the scenery and texture folders but leaves the rest of the files there. No telling what else it does. I just can't trust a person that calls himself 'R'. I'm sorry, but that's no way to do these things.CBNapamule

Guest belga1

Hello,I agree.I tested it also .. and I can confirm it's a lot of stutters when the scenery come in view ...Surely after some comments the author released a update with the intend to reduce those stutters.AFAIK after tests .. it's nothing bad or better.So .. at today .. this scenery is a graphic (resources) hog .....Read also this post:http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/show...w-Meigs-sceneryRegards.bye.gifGus.

Thanks for the review, saved me from a possible headache.

I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones. I don't see any stuttering at all and the framerate is 80+ with all sliders maxxed. As I said, I think it's a nice job.DougCooler Master HAF 232 TowerGigabyte GX-X58A-UD7Intel i7-960 @ 3.44GHzCooler Master V8 HSF12GB Corsair XMS3 Dominator DDR3-1600AMD 5870 GPU300GB Western Digital Raptor6TB HDD Internal - Hitachi6TB HDD External - Western Digital2X Plextor PX-880SA2X Plextor PX-870AWindows 7 Professional 64-Bit

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest simmer9304

I'm with W2DR the scenery runs great I even tried making it stutter by departing FlyTampa Midway in PMDG 737 with REX clouds and not a stutter with frames locked at 25. And this is using the stock graphics chip... But everybody's system runs differently.

Guest napamule

Doug,Has nothing to do with 'luck'. You have a top notch rig (my dream machine). I would HOPE there are no stutters with that bad boy! I only have a P4, 3.2 Ghz, with 2 Gig and AGP. I guess everyone has a better rig (FSX simmers, anyway) so maybe I shouldn't have said anything. So, it DOES depend on your rig, kids (boo-hoo). I like Meigs a lot, so had to try it. Right? Right. I liked the lit up fence at night and the lights inside buildings, etc. So it's got merit.(My birthday is in May, so maybe the $1200 (credit card-budget limit) plus putting it together myself will cover a 'i7/920/4870/Win7 64' rig-I hope. I have FS2002, FS2004 and FSX installed right now. The 'FRAMES' are: 60, 30, 20, respectively. I like FSX so I think it's time to 'dig deep' and take the plunge.CBNapamule

Hey Jerry have you, (or anyone else), tried the Meigs by Colin McGlothlin (meigs06.zip)? I've never seen Meigs in person but the airport appears to be pretty well done. I don't get any frame rate issues with it and I think it looks pretty nice. There is even an ILS by Jim Martin, (jhmcgxil.zip), that you can add to it if you want to. Both files are available at Flightsim.com. You should check them out and see if they're to your liking if you haven't done it already.Mark

Hey Jerry have you, (or anyone else), tried the Meigs by Colin McGlothlin (meigs06.zip)?
I can vouch for that addon.For what you get with the new one, it isn't worth the performance hit I experience.It was fun to look at the closed version, but I prefer to be able to use the airport.regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Guest belga1

Hello,

tried the Meigs by Colin McGlothlin (meigs06.zip)?
Just tried it and it's a good experience .. no stutters at all :)w2ws2.jpg200y912.jpg2n7ha9y.jpgm93jmv.jpg9bbpqs.jpgay7xp1.jpgRegards.bye.gifGus.