Sign in to follow this  
jay907uk

Using Topcat

Hi Guys,I've downloaded Topcat trial version but don't really undertstand how to use it even by following the manual and all the technical stuff regarding it. I thought there was a tutorial flight with it that would show you the planning with it but there isn't. Any help or advice would be really gratefulThanksJason

Jason Thompson

Click on the add aircraft button,then typoe in your registration, any value will due, it is just a value added on to the reports that are generated.Choose your aircarft type from the drop down menu,then your engine variant from the drop down menu under that,then company policies on allowing FLEX TOs, De-Rated TOs or combo of both, I would suggest on selecting all three options to get the most out of topcat.Then Click on browse and find the aircraft.cfg file for the aircraft you are setting up.You will then have to select the livery for the airplane you are setting up from a popup menu.Then on the right you select your class configuration, and put in the optional SELCAL code.Save your aircraft, and now you are ready to get started.Highlight the aircraft you are going to fly with,click on the W@B button, and you can enter your flight number, departure airport and arrival airport. Distance will then be auto filled in.Put in your alternates if so desired.Then on the left under the registration data, use the slide bar to fill your aircraft with the number of passengers you are going to be flying with.Then under cargo load, use the slide bar to increase your cargo load to the amount you want to fly with. Baggage should be automatically filled in, so the only numbers you will be adjusting with the slide bar is cargo and mail.Then you can then either fill in the fuel section with numbers you got from a flight planner, or click the estimate (which works pretty good, always gives you more than you really need).Then boot up FSX, and load up your aircraft at the gate. Make sure you are choosing the same livery you choose in the aircraft.cfg file when you earlier set up topcat.Once connected (you need FSUIPC, and it does work with WideFS) press the Export to Flight Sim button, from a popup screen will show you how TopCat is connected to FSX, and which aircraft is loaded up. Topcat will then load your Pax Load, Cargo Load, and Fuel Load (except for PMDG aircraft. Due to the advanced fuel systems found in the PMDG planes, Topcat is unable to add fuel, so you have to add the fuel loader found in FSX under the PMDG menu in FSX),Now your planes load should match that which is found in Topcat.Now click on Take-Off button,enter your current weather conditions, (or if you have Topcat can download VATSIM, NOAA, or IVAO weather by selecting it from the drop down menu and clicking update, or under the config button, you can point TOPCAT to your Active Sky app data and it will look at your Active Sky snapshot and load that into Topcat.Select your runway that you have been assigned from the upper drop down menu,choose your flaps and Thrust settings (leave at Optimum),then press the compute button on the lower right hand corner,and then you should see a bunch of data appear in the box in the lower bottom of the screen.On top of that box will display the optimal thrust rating, and the optimal flaps setting, and in the box it will show the various derated assumed temp for take off with the optimal setting highlighted in the middle.Enter all this into your FMS, cross check the V-Speeds with those the FMS will give you (giving preference to those given to you by the FMS, only using Topcat to correct for wet runway conditions which will affect your V1 speeds).You are cleared for take off, you will now take off using de-rated thrust so you dont stress out your engines and know you will not runout of runway.Have fun with topcat, it is a great aid for flying the heavy iron.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Thanks Cras i have read your post and it is well put i am also new with this topcat and i am minutes from uninstalling it coz i dont know how to use it but i will give it a shot and see if it makes sense to me

thank you

Does anyone have any values to put into the aircraft config page? I know that the PMDG 737 does not use the default Topcat 737 values, is the 747 the same?

Thanks Cras i have read your post and it is well put i am also new with this topcat and i am minutes from uninstalling it coz i dont know how to use it but i will give it a shot and see if it makes sense to me

thank you

Try this YouTube tutorial which has TOPCAT in it. http://www.youtube.c...?v=e5GgfGgzf8s.

Michael Cubine

Hi,

I am still having trouble with passenger and cargo weights. I have 2/3 loaded in PMDG but how many adults, child, baggage etc do I put in Topcat?

Hi,

I am still having trouble with passenger and cargo weights. I have 2/3 loaded in PMDG but how many adults, child, baggage etc do I put in Topcat?

As much as is neccesary for TOPCAT to be displaying the same payload weight as the PMDG load manager

Peter

Peter Schluter