Sign in to follow this  
steve_1979

Is it safe to turn my virus checher off when using FSX?

Hello,Is it safe to turn my virus checker off while using FSX?
Only if you are completely cut off or blocked from the Internet. If you are still connected...I'd advise not to.

I've been online since 1992, and have never run an antivirus program. Number of viruses I've gotten: 0I do have a hardware firewall, but that's it. I'm a PC tech, and have been for many years, so your mileage may vary, of course. I think the basics are Don't run Internet Explorer (due to active x), at least dont' run older versions like 6.Know which file extensions can carry programs.Use a firewall. Avoid doing stupid stuff online, don't use cracks or pirated programs. You should be fine, assuming you're the only one using the computer.I strongly dislike anti-virus programs, as many of them are huge resource hogs, and some of the worst ones do more harm than good, IMO. I see no reason why you can't turn yours off at least when running FSX. Some A/V programs will allow you to set exclusions, too, so that you could add your FSX folder(s) and the the A/V program would not check those files when you're using them.

Hi,I wouldn't even think about turning off any antivirus/firewall programs if I was still connected to the internet. If I didn't need the internet while using FSX (non-network setup) I would go so far as to turn off the router before disabling my firewall/antivirus software. A bit over the top, well maybe...But I'd have peace of mind.I use online weather updates so turning off these programs and my router is not an option for me, I do the next best thing, I run my flightsim via network with no firewall/antivirus on my flightsim computer and run both of these programs on my main computer. My flightsim computer is not directly connected to the internet, I'm not running any antivirus/firewall programs on my flightsim computer and both of my systems are still protected. I also don't have to worry about constant system config changes if I'm on or offline.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I just wanted to turn of the virus checker to help get a couple of extra frames per second.I would like to stay conected to the internet so that I can use Active Sky with real world weather. Maybe a fair compromise would be to let Active Sky download the current weather conditions then once it has done that I could disconect from the internet and turn off the virus checker.

Only if you are completely cut off or blocked from the Internet. If you are still connected...I'd advise not to.
Nonsense. Today, it's virtually impossible if you have a clean machine to get infected by solely being connected to the internet - unless you do something yourself (that being surf a site, execute a file, execute an attachment etc). It happened me once, a long long time, still on XP pre-SP, back then there was a worm that came over the internal cable internet network (same subnet mask). I've never heard about anything similar for a long time... and I doubt the poster uses XP pre-SP (or any other unsecure OS).

I just wanted to turn of the virus checker to help get a couple of extra frames per second.I would like to stay conected to the internet so that I can use Active Sky with real world weather. Maybe a fair compromise would be to let Active Sky download the current weather conditions then once it has done that I could disconect from the internet and turn off the virus checker.
If turning it off gives you extra frames per second, you are definitely using the wrong AV-program. Go get NOD32. It's good and 'light'.

I've been online since 1992, and have never run an antivirus program. Number of viruses I've gotten: 0I do have a hardware firewall, but that's it. I'm a PC tech, and have been for many years, so your mileage may vary, of course. I think the basics are Don't run Internet Explorer (due to active x), at least dont' run older versions like 6.Know which file extensions can carry programs.Use a firewall. Avoid doing stupid stuff online, don't use cracks or pirated programs. You should be fine, assuming you're the only one using the computer.I strongly dislike anti-virus programs, as many of them are huge resource hogs, and some of the worst ones do more harm than good, IMO. I see no reason why you can't turn yours off at least when running FSX. Some A/V programs will allow you to set exclusions, too, so that you could add your FSX folder(s) and the the A/V program would not check those files when you're using them.
I can only very strongly agree to this one. And I have NEVER used an A/V. Never got a virus without my own knowledge or user interference. "Avoid doing stupid stuff online" <- correct.

If turning it off gives you extra frames per second, you are definitely using the wrong AV-program. Go get NOD32. It's good and 'light'.
I very much agree with J van E on this one. If you must run an A/V, Nod32 is the way to go. For the love of all that's holy, avoid Norton and McAfee.

If you are not going to use antivirus, its better to login with user rights.If you login in with admin rights and you do get infected, you looking at a rebuild.

I currently use Kepersky which seems to have a small impact on framerates. Does Nod32 work on a 64bit orerating system?

I currently use Kepersky which seems to have a small impact on framerates. Does Nod32 work on a 64bit orerating system?
Yes.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I have Nod working on WIn7 64bit. Its just a matter of picking the correct version when downloading.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

I've got Avast, which I swear by, and Superantispyware going all the time. But when I fly I disconnect from the net and kill the anti-virus.If I fly and I"m connected, the anti-virus stays on.

Guest Shockwave

Just stay in the plane, especially if in Indonesia or the US SouthEast (H1), dont kiss or shake hands with the attendants. You'll be fine.What? :(