Sign in to follow this  
walfob

Widescreen Monitors

I'm considering upgrading my Dell monitor to a 22" Widescreen to enhance my cockpit experience. I fly MD-11 in FSX and 747-400 in FS9. There is a report in a recent topic that the 22"monitor can't be used as a wide panel option for the MD-11 because the Autopilot doesn't work!Can anyone confirm if this is correct, and is it the case for both PMDG models? This will obviously save me a lot of expense in purchasing a widescreen monitor only to find it can't be used in that mode.Any advice from PMDG on this topic would be gratefully accepted.ThanksBernard Walford

Bernard Walford

I'm considering upgrading my Dell monitor to a 22" Widescreen to enhance my cockpit experience. I fly MD-11 in FSX and 747-400 in FS9. There is a report in a recent topic that the 22"monitor can't be used as a wide panel option for the MD-11 because the Autopilot doesn't work!Can anyone confirm if this is correct, and is it the case for both PMDG models? This will obviously save me a lot of expense in purchasing a widescreen monitor only to find it can't be used in that mode.Any advice from PMDG on this topic would be gratefully accepted.ThanksBernard Walford
I actually have a 26 widescreen monitor and it works flawlessly! So far I haven't had any problems with neither MD-11 or 747! Regards!

I never heard of the Autopilot not working in widescreen. There is of course a difference in what some consider widescreen and what uses the FSX widescreen view correctly. I had a post not to long ago showing the differences, but it really comes down to what looks best for you (I'm referring to the "WideViewAspect=False" option in the fsx.cfg). Some monitors are 16:10 and some are 16:9 and that to will make a difference. Personally I prefer 16:10 but their a dieing breed unfortunately and all the new 27's I see are 16:9. My 16:10 looks much bigger.I also prefer a larger screen. I agree that 22" seems a little small, but the first time I got a 22" I was also pretty impressed. I now use 3, 26" (actually 25.5") that I picked up on newegg under $300 each. I got 3 of these. I also have a couple 22"s and all of my monitor are ASUS.I do my research on newegg since it has a better look into the specs and has reviews but normally buy most things on zipzoomfly since the price is usually better and shipping is far cheaper and normally free (no $4.95 shipping per order crap).

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I never heard of the Autopilot not working in widescreen. There is of course a difference in what some consider widescreen and what uses the FSX widescreen view correctly. I had a post not to long ago showing the differences, but it really comes down to what looks best for you (I'm referring to the "WideViewAspect=False" option in the fsx.cfg). Some monitors are 16:10 and some are 16:9 and that to will make a difference. Personally I prefer 16:10 but their a dieing breed unfortunately and all the new 27's I see are 16:9. My 16:10 looks much bigger.I also prefer a larger screen. I agree that 22" seems a little small, but the first time I got a 22" I was also pretty impressed. I now use 3, 26" (actually 25.5") that I picked up on newegg under $300 each. I got 3 of these. I also have a couple 22"s and all of my monitor are ASUS.I do my research on newegg since it has a better look into the specs and has reviews but normally buy most things on zipzoomfly since the price is usually better and shipping is far cheaper and normally free (no $4.95 shipping per order crap).
Thanks for all your responses and the information you have provided. So widescreen wouldn't appear to pose any issues - apart from price! There's certainly plenty here to assist me in my upgrade. Much appreciated.Bernard Walford

Bernard Walford

The MD-11 has dedicated widescreen panels - there is no issue, the work just fine on my 24" screen. The 747's 2D panel will stretch horizontally because it's 4:3 artwork and was made before widescreen really took off. The VC and everything that's in 3D will look fine though. Do set WideViewAspect=True in fsx.cfg - this controls the horizontal field of view and if you don't set it, you won't be able to see as much to the sides as you should be able to.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

The MD-11 has dedicated widescreen panels - there is no issue, the work just fine on my 24" screen. The 747's 2D panel will stretch horizontally because it's 4:3 artwork and was made before widescreen really took off. The VC and everything that's in 3D will look fine though. Do set WideViewAspect=True in fsx.cfg - this controls the horizontal field of view and if you don't set it, you won't be able to see as much to the sides as you should be able to.
I just bought a 23" widescreen and I'm using it for the FS9 PMDG 747 at the moment.As stated above the 2d panels start out stretched. I can adjust the panels nicely and get the 2d FMC and panel side by side in petty much correct aspect ratio which is great. What I haven't figured out is how to get them to stay that way after a restart. I tried saving the panel state and loading after restart but that doesn't seem to care about panel size.Is there a way to save the resized panels or do you have to manually resize every time?RegardsBob Quick

Hey Bob, I'm not 100% about FS9, but in FSX I just save the flight. The panel state doesn't do anything but saving the actual flight will. Give that a whirl. I wish there was a way it worked otherwise since it is very time consuming to get everything resized each and every flight. Perhaps in future releases.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hey Bob, I'm not 100% about FS9, but in FSX I just save the flight. The panel state doesn't do anything but saving the actual flight will. Give that a whirl. I wish there was a way it worked otherwise since it is very time consuming to get everything resized each and every flight. Perhaps in future releases.
Thanks for the info... I will try that.UPDATE: Dan is correct. FS9 'save flight' remembers the PMDG 747 panel sizes. Very helpful for wide screen set up.By the way, if you don't have a wide screen monitor, consider it. It definitely makes a huge difference in the flight simulator experience. Although it is possible that I may be the last person to finally get one.