Sign in to follow this  
HenkA

FS2crew and FSX 737-800 default --problem?

Hi everyone,Last night, I completed my first flight, using FS2Crew. Lots of work and a desk, filled with paper from all the appendices from the manual. But I really enjoyed this flight.One small problem?, I encountered though. When I announced 'cleared' (for take-off), there was no single response. The green bar showed me that I shoul have said 'clear'. After that, I continued with 'take-off', which was understood again. I did not use ATC, so I did not get clearance from ATC.What could be the cause of this: if it is a false speech recognition, if so, what can I do about it; all other commands are fully understood. Or does FS2Crew only understand 'cleared', when I get clearance from ATC?Thanks for feed-back.Henk

Hello Bryan,Guess I was not clear enough (I'm Dutch).Before I line up at the runway, I say: 'cleared', as written in the manual. Then, the FO should turn on the landing- and strobe lights. However, nothing happens.The take-off is OK, I get my responds from the FO.Thanks,Henk

Hello Bryan,Guess I was not clear enough (I'm Dutch).Before I line up at the runway, I say: 'cleared', as written in the manual. Then, the FO should turn on the landing- and strobe lights. However, nothing happens.The take-off is OK, I get my responds from the FO.Thanks,Henk
Hi Henk,Oops, I see now.Does the green speech bar show "cleared" when you say "cleared"?Did you install SP1?

Hello Bryan,Thanks for the quick reponse.The green bar displays 'clear' and not 'cleared'. So, that should be the reason? All my other commands are fully understood however. I think, I pronunciate the word 'cleared' good, I guess. I listened a couple of times to the YouTube instruction video, and I can not say that the PF in that video says it better.My headset is a Microsoft LifeCat 3000 wih USB, which performs very good.

Hi Henk,The code is definitely looking for "cleared"Try really emphasizing the 'd' sound at the end.This is a pronunciation issue.What's O/S are you using? I think with XP it may be possible to train select words.Cheers,

Hi Bryan,Thanks for putting so much effort in this matter.I have Win7 Professional, German Edition. So I used Vistilazator to install the English language, as advised. This works great.I tried to pronunciate the word 'cleared' in numerous ways, also emphasising the 'd' in cleared; even dicted: 'clear red' In this case the voice commander made something complete different out of it (as shown in the green bar). I should start to think that the word 'cleared' is not known by the voice commander. Of course it is there, I know. But up until now, the green bar shows 'clear'Hope you can bring a solution to this.Thanks againHenk

Another other Germans here able to help Henk out? Benny?This is an pronunciation issue.Henk, try adjust the sensitivity of your mic input in your microphone settings.Codewise, there's nothing I can possibly change... however... I could add an optioanl phrase "cleared for takeoff"... generally the longer the phrase, the easier it is for the speech recognition engine to pick up.

Thanks so much Bryan,I will have a look at the mic's sensitivity, like you suggested.I should really be glad, if also other members (German, Dutch and other members) could give feed-back about this.Regards,Henk

Another other Germans here able to help Henk out? Benny?This is an pronunciation issue.Henk, try adjust the sensitivity of your mic input in your microphone settings.Codewise, there's nothing I can possibly change... however... I could add an optioanl phrase "cleared for takeoff"... generally the longer the phrase, the easier it is for the speech recognition engine to pick up.
Hello Bryan,I did put my mike at the highest sensivity level, it made no improvement however.Tried it out with ATC. After ATC gave me clearance for take-off, I tried the command 'cleared' again, without result (desperate trial).I'm out of inspiration now.The optional phrase 'cleared for takeoff' could really help me. Perhaps, people from Germany or Holland could also help me out. Otherwise, I would really appreciate it, if you would give this new optional phrase a try.Thanks a lot anyway.Henk

Hello Bryan,I did put my mike at the highest sensivity level, it made no improvement however.Tried it out with ATC. After ATC gave me clearance for take-off, I tried the command 'cleared' again, without result (desperate trial).I'm out of inspiration now.The optional phrase 'cleared for takeoff' could really help me. Perhaps, people from Germany or Holland could also help me out. Otherwise, I would really appreciate it, if you would give this new optional phrase a try.Thanks a lot anyway.Henk
I emailed one of my other German users, Benny, he said he'll post a note here.

Guest BenBaron

Hi Henk,it is indeed sometimes hard to get certain calls pronounced the right way, esp for non english users. I am having a hard time, too to get the speech engine recognize the difference between "clear" and "cleared" but mostly after two or three tries it recognizes correctly. I am e.g. also having a hard time to get the FO recognize my "clear" command during the before taxi checklist. Need to repeat that some times, too until it works out correctly. On my side, I can get the FO to recognize "cleared" better than "clear".The only thing that works for me is to put some US american accent on these words like I heard them in an old Clint Eastwood Movie :( . This definately sounds weird but does the trick most of the time.If you never get this to work out correctly and as this is unfortunately a speech engine issue, the only solution would be Bryan to include this additional sentence for you :( .Greets, Benny

Guest BenBaron
Well...I don't know what to say about that :( . If one's talking like that you shouldn't wonder why SR isn't able to understand correctly.Greets, Benny

Hello Bryan and Benny,If you talk English(US) like that, you really need some English education. LOL.Being Dutch, the English pronunciation, I learned at school was not English(UK) at all, but I guess, a mix form English(NL) and perhaps a little English(US). I really have to make a compliment to the German guy in the Configuration panel of FS-crew. He talks better English as his Dutch colleague anyway.Benny, thank you for the wellwilling feedback. I've seen all Clint's movies in Holland (original US text, Dutch subtitling), but I really don't get it done, tried it really out. I even asked my wife to give it a try: no luck however. The word 'clear' was never a problem for the Voice commander.Of course, I could do without the command 'cleared' and switch on my anti-collision- and landing lights manually, but Bryan, if there is a possibility to get it done, with a command like 'cleared for takeoff', it would be great. Hope, it's not too much asked.Btw, if I listen to the ATC command, saying that I'm cleared for takeoff, the pronunciation is not that different from my best trials, I think.Thanks anyway a lot for all help until now.Henk