Sign in to follow this  
787flyer

Multicore utility - FSPS Multicore Environment ?

Changing the process priority to anything other than normal is asking for trouble...I would not use that tool or change the priority via task manager.Stefan Ticusan

Stefan Ticusan

Changing the process priority to anything other than normal is asking for trouble...
Why would this be, Stefan ?I'm following this thread because I've just purchased a brand new quad core system and was thinking of using Multicore Environment to squeeze a bit more FSX performance out of it, but of course don't want to cause any damage. Hence my question.

Cheers,
Emile Bax.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

It won't "damage" anything, but playing with priorities may lead to system instability. FSX is written the way it is, if there was some golden solution believe me, we all would be playing with max detail now ;)

FSX is written the way it is, if there was some golden solution believe me, we all would be playing with max detail now ;)
Thanks - looks like this utility is best left alone then. Guess with a quad core 3.4GHz CPU and ATI Radeon HD 5800 series with 1GB memory I won't have much to worry about anyway (well, better not, otherwise there will be a bit of explaining to do to my wife :( ).BTW I know native speakers of the language whose English is less good than yours (to put it mildly :( ) : you have nothing to apologise about IMHO.

Cheers,
Emile Bax.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Why pay for something that you can get for free? here's one example, freeware, but I'm sure there's more of themhttp://edgemeal.110mb.com/SetAffinity/index.htm
Hi Dario,Based on all comments so far, I'm gonna try your suggestion and see if I get any performance advantage with this app, especially if it's free.Thx for the suggestions.Cheers,

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Jim, as far as I could see from the screenshots linked to the site you linked, prio sets and saves the PRIORITY, not the process AFFINITY...The affinity mask assigns specific cores to processes. That has nothing to do with process priority...Andrew
Andrew--Thanks, I know what affinity mask is--Prio seems to set affinity mask (at least for my dual core machine) as well as priority and saves it. While it is focused on the priority feature--I did test the saving of the affinity mask. Maybe it's Windows 7- I say try it-it's free. Better than paying 20 bucks for a program that changes a grand total of 1 thing.
post_snapback.gif[/url]Changing the process priority to anything other than normal is asking for trouble...
It's there for a reason. Process ordering is for a lot more than for FSX. I acutally use to set it for all priority memory intensive operations (graphic programs etc.).

Jim Atkins

Jim, in most cases You don't run FSX and render 3D scenes in 3DStudio, do You? ;) When You run single application changing priority won't affect the performance (maybe except for single core CPUs in very few cases) and if it will, the gain will be slightly noticeable. But as long as You don't set it to high it won't hurt ;)Emile thanks, I'm trying hard ;)

Jim, in most cases You don't run FSX and render 3D scenes in 3DStudio, do You? ;) When You run single application changing priority won't affect the performance (maybe except for single core CPUs in very few cases) and if it will, the gain will be slightly noticeable. But as long as You don't set it to high it won't hurt ;)Emile thanks, I'm trying hard ;)
As a matter of fact---naw you're right--:)) but it certainly does help my system--I have an older dual core laptop and it does seem to help out. I get less system hangs, FSX hangs etc. when I tell the OS which apps are to get the priority. I do the same thing when I run multiple graphics programs (I am a repainter).

Jim Atkins

It won't "damage" anything, but playing with priorities may lead to system instability. FSX is written the way it is, if there was some golden solution believe me, we all would be playing with max detail now ;)

A myth, you won't get an unstable system by switching it from NORMAL to HIGH.

In task manager it's not permanently. You have to set it each time You run the application.

You don't have to use task manager, there are free tools that allow you to create a shortcut with the proper affinity and btw, you kept talkign about process priority in the posts that followed, process priority has nothing to do with affinity.