Sign in to follow this  
787flyer

Multicore utility - FSPS Multicore Environment ?

Hello,I was wondering if this utility would help frame rates? I saw this recently announced on Avsim and wondered if anyone has tried this yet?http://fsps.737ng.gr/ME.htmlI know there has been much debate over multi -cores-/threads and it's impact on FS9/FSX.Is this likely to have a positive impact or not?If I recall correctly, I remember the affinity mask usage for FSX SP2 was not that much of a help, but I stand to be corrected.ThxMark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I've tried a similar one, can't remember it's name. Didn't make things any better for me

This is just an easier way of setting the process affinity (which you can do through the Windows task manager) - it's just letting you run different programs on different cores, it's not going to be able to do anything to the FSX internals. I'd say they're overstating any effect this will have...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Oh! it's payware... what a joke.

I got it and for the first time I was able to have decent fps with ASE, overcast weather (REX textures) and 744 (not 748 which is lighter).I honestly don't know if it does the same to any PC, but for me it works quite well.There are still cases that fps remain low, especially near large airports, but much less frequent than before.I used to have the affinity tweak in my cfg file but never worked like this little software does.Anyway it's 8 Euros which equals to 2-3 cups of coffee. Not a big deal for people who pay much more money on hardware or software that serious simming requires...

Many applications run on core 1 of your pc. If you assign the heavy task (fs) to all other cores, and core 1 for the rest light ones (weather, traffic, jeppview etc), fs will run more smoothly. Pure common sense...Cheap and nice..

Regards, Babis D. (BD)
Flight Simulator Platform Solutions
Senior Developer
visit us: Homepage / Our unofficial blog
2vhslld.jpg

Hit Control+Alt+Delete, select the second tab you see in the Task Manager (Processes), right click on a program name and choose 'Set Affinity'. That should work work just as well as the above utility. Of course, if you want a dedicated thing that will do that for you, go ahead and buy the application, nothing wrong with doing that if you have the cash.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Doesn't have FSInn the same optimization built in, for free?

Hi Alan, Ryan et al,Good sugestion/point.Question. When you set the Affinities via Task Manager, are these permanant settings or do you have to set them up each time you reboot? Also, does the new utility set these permanantly or you have to apply each time?Just curious?Thx,

Spoiler

Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge

In task manager it's not permanently. You have to set it each time You run the application.

Hi Grzegorz,Your English is perfect! Thx for the info.cheers,

Spoiler

Mark Aldridge

Jim, as far as I could see from the screenshots linked to the site you linked, prio sets and saves the PRIORITY, not the process AFFINITY...The affinity mask assigns specific cores to processes. That has nothing to do with process priority...Andrew

Prio does the EXACT same thing for Free---http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html
Thanks for the link, Jim, but.....As its name suggests, doesn't this utility only change the priority of the process. not the core it's associated with? :( Cheers,Brian[Edit

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg