Sign in to follow this  
Ioan92

Elevator hanging like flaps..

Guest bratonabike

this happened to me once, when i flew from JFK to heathrow, but i didnt know why, and it never happened to me again, but if the elavators are 'hanging like flps' and when u disengage the autopilot and the a/c shoots up, wouldnt excess lift be a cuase? its a ruff statment but that what i think might be one of the problems.

this happened to me once, when i flew from JFK to heathrow, but i didnt know why, and it never happened to me again, but if the elavators are 'hanging like flps' and when u disengage the autopilot and the a/c shoots up, wouldnt excess lift be a cuase? its a ruff statment but that what i think might be one of the problems.
I have tried countlessly to contact PMDG, but absolutley no one is speaking up..

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Guest bratonabike
I have tried countlessly to contact PMDG, but absolutley no one is speaking up..
hmmm.. maybe they dont know how to solve the problem aswell. but at least his a/c is stil flying even though it looks unrealisitc (and that the whole point of PMDG, to look realistic) maybe theres something in the Aircraft.CFG file that makes it fly like that :(

Or maybe there actually is excess lift, probably from FSX weather bugs, since this never occurs in FS9.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

no other aircraft in fsx does this,so its not the "fsx weather bugs"

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Guest bratonabike
no other aircraft in fsx does this,so its not the "fsx weather bugs"
like i said, it could be the flight dynamics of the 744 itself.

I had the same issue and found that it was the winds aloft was checked in the settings. I like to use real world weather which makes it worse. I am not sure if you are doing the same. I am pretty sure if you check this setting it will take care of it.Good LuckRon Fields

Hi there,...as said before...this is really a weight/ c/g issue ... make sure to set up all weight and c/g settings in your FMC (especially the stab trim setting) before takeoff. Also look for loading a little bit more weight to the front. For me it work very fine.edit: i forgot to say that this solution was said before ;)

I suggest retrimming manually the aircraft during criuse, see if this helps.With the elevators in full down position like that you should get a LOT of drag

mastery.jpg

Specs:

Windows 7 64bit / Intel Core i5-3550 @3.30 GHz / 8.00 Gb RAM / ATI Radeon HD 7800 2Gb

Guest bratonabike
I suggest retrimming manually the aircraft during criuse, see if this helps.With the elevators in full down position like that you should get a LOT of drag
re-trimming in flight causes the AP to disconnect, and it resets to its earlier state, wich means elevators hanging like flaps.

Almost positive this is not a "bug" - the only way the elevator gets commanded down like that is if the AP needs to input that kind of movement to keep the aircraft level. The fact that you say it shoots upward when you disengage the AP confirms it - it has run out of trim and is forcing the elevator itself down to maintain level flight. I'd reinstall the aircraft completely clean from scratch and make absolutely certain you're loading (as in weight and balance) the aircraft correctly. Do not load fuel through the FSX menu, use the PMDG menu etc...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Almost positive this is not a "bug" - the only way the elevator gets commanded down like that is if the AP needs to input that kind of movement to keep the aircraft level. The fact that you say it shoots upward when you disengage the AP confirms it - it has run out of trim and is forcing the elevator itself down to maintain level flight. I'd reinstall the aircraft completely clean from scratch and make absolutely certain you're loading (as in weight and balance) the aircraft correctly. Do not load fuel through the FSX menu, use the PMDG menu etc...
It only happened once, and I always use the PMDG LM. :)

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Guest bratonabike
It only happened once, and I always use the PMDG LM. :)
this might sound stupid, but mine only did that once, and its never done it again, so maybe its just something that happens.

John's solution worked for me. Don't load the 747x from the free flight menu. Instead load a FSX default Cesna first, then go to menu, select aircraft and off you go. After using this method I never had the problem again.Let us know if it works for you.

Gents-(Notice I'm not using my traditional greeting of "Captains" because that denotes a level of experience that would have known the source of this problem right from the first post! :( )The problem being shown here is one where the CG is out of whack. I doubt you could obtain the same situation in the actual aircraft without a serious problem upon rotation- but it would depend upon a few other factors...The airplane shown in this thread is desperately trying to remain on the commanded altitude, however the natural, neutral condition for this particular airplane's load/speed is a nose up climb. Hence the autopilot is adding in a MASSIVE amount of down trim/elevator to keep the airplane flying level.Note that (AND THIS IS IMPORTANT!) Any time you disconnect the A/P- the airplane should remain in it's previous flight path. If you disconnect the A/P and the airplane tries to climb away- then there is something wrong...The only thing that I can think of that will cause this is a significantly messed up loading with a far-aft CG...I would recommend running the PMDG 747-400 load management utility and set your load that way... Using any other tool or utility to manipulate the load on this airplane might cause you headaches... (This is stated in the manual...)Remember- the airplane always wants a neutral trim condition... ALWAYS...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com