I have been looking for a cyclic and collective setup that I could use for helicopters, and planes that use a flight stick. The ones I have found forsale have prices that start at ~$300 per piece and go up from there. I reviewed the designs of these commerical items and decided I should be able to build these. SO, I did. The cyclic and collective are built using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, schedule 40 PVC, wire from a CAT 5 LAN cable, and miscellaneous RC airplane servo components. The cost was ~$65.00 and it took about 4 hours to construct and tune.The beauty of this approach is not only cost, but, by using the joystick components to include the USB interface, one doesn't have to worry about computer interface software. The cyclic and collective are fully compatible with FSCUIP4. They also play well with the Saitek panels and rudder pedals. I have full range of motion with both and can adjust the input sensitivity and assign button functions as normal. The feel of the cyclic is very good, not to soft. The design used to construction the collective allows one to adjust the movement resistance, so one can get very close to a realistic feel.I have used these controls to fly the R-22, Jet Ranger, Tiger Moth, hang-glider, and J-cub. The difference in feel these control have brought to my simulator experience has been great.If you want more information about the construction, let me know.Regards,Danny

• Upvote 3

Danny

Excellent piece of work Danny. I bet you would be able to sell a few of those.Go into manufacturing.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Hi Danny; Very nice job! I take my hat off to you sir! It puts mine to shame, but I notice one small thing.. how come your throttle is not a twist throttle on the end of the cyclic lever? Maybe it is, but it's not obvious in the pics?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Nice... except... I have some bricks that look more comfortable than that chair. :(

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Excellent piece of work Danny. I bet you would be able to sell a few of those.Go into manufacturing.IAN
Thanks. Not interested in manufacturing or selling. I don't wish to deal with people who will complain about every little thing that doesn't work as "they" think it should. I built it for "my" enjoyment and wanted to share it with my fellow simmers.
Nice... except... I have some bricks that look more comfortable than that chair. :(
Enjoy your bricks....DannyPaul: "Hi Danny; Very nice job! I take my hat off to you sir! It puts mine to shame, but I notice one small thing.. how come your throttle is not a twist throttle on the end of the cyclic lever? Maybe it is, but it's not obvious in the pics?" I didn't include a twist throttle into this project. As you know, the throttle control in FSX is used as if it were the pitch/collective in a real helicopter. So, I took the simple route and just setup a pure collective. I plan on using the governor in FSX to control throttle adjust during collective application.

Danny

I have prepared a document containing construction details and a materials list. I have tried to post the document as an attachment, but, the system will not allow it. So, PM or email me if you would like a copy. The information is provided for your personal use and enjoyment. The information is intended to be free to anyone who wishes to build their own cyclic and collective flight controls. I specifically request that the information not be used commerically or for development of a commerical venture.Regards,Danny

Danny

I have prepared a document containing construction details and a materials list. I have tried to post the document as an attachment, but, the system will not allow it. So, PM or email me if you would like a copy. The information is provided for your personal use and enjoyment. The information is intended to be free to anyone who wishes to build their own cyclic and collective flight controls. I specifically request that the information not be used commerically or for development of a commerical venture.Regards,Danny
Danny,Great work. I've been looking for just such a solution for my setup. Could you send me the appropriate document. If it's not too much trouble, could you use my e-mail address to send. Thanks so much.Franktomega@knology.net

Paul: I notice one small thing.. how come your throttle is not a twist throttle on the end of the cyclic lever? I didn't include a twist throttle into this project. As you know, the throttle control in FSX is used as if it were the pitch/collective in a real helicopter. So, I took the simple route and just setup a pure collective. I plan on using the governor in FSX to control throttle adjust during collective application.
Last time I flew the Jet Ranger I think I used the propeller pitch to control collective, and throttle to, er.. control the throttle. I'll try it again tonight to verify that, though. I can see a very nice motor-cycle twist-grip with the cable attached to a servo arm on a 10k pot. hmmmmm.. :( thinking... thinking..

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Last time I flew the Jet Ranger I think I used the propeller pitch to control collective, and throttle to, er.. control the throttle. I'll try it again tonight to verify that, though. I can see a very nice motor-cycle twist-grip with the cable attached to a servo arm on a 10k pot. hmmmmm.. :( thinking... thinking..
Cool. That would most likely work. I believe most modern helis use a governor system of some sort in flight mode. I was reading the FAA site the other day about their intent to cause new helis, to include the R-22, to have a governor system to relieve pilot work load. One would still some throttle control at idle and for certain emergency conditions, I suppose. Anyway, I am very happy with the project as it is, but would be interested in seeing any modifications that you might make it the setup.Have a good flight.Danny

Danny

Cool. That would most likely work. I believe most modern helis use a governor system of some sort in flight mode. I was reading the FAA site the other day about their intent to cause new helis, to include the R-22, to have a governor system to relieve pilot work load. One would still some throttle control at idle and for certain emergency conditions, I suppose. Anyway, I am very happy with the project as it is, but would be interested in seeing any modifications that you might make it the setup.Danny
Hey. I've been flying the stock J Ranger for half-an-hour or so, Danny: what I found is the lever I have configured as the (aircraft) propeller pitch control is changed by the sim and is now the twist-grip throttle, and controls rotor rpm: the lever I normally use as an aircraft throttle it changes to become the collective pitch control - torque. Why MS did this I don't know, but that's how it works. Yup - governors are prevalent among R/C helis, along with gyro on the tail, to keep it straight when changing torque. Changes? - add the twist-grip throttle - that's the only change I would make if I were to do a heli sim.

I don't have a copy of the construction information any longer.  Sorry.  I still use the collective if that is what you are interested in.  The modified cyclic has been replaced with a Thrustmaster Flight stick.

Danny

Danny

Danny, I am building a set of helicopter  controls for my flight sims.  Would you be able to e mail me with your pictures and constructions.

Thank You  hpwells1@yahoo.com

hpwells1