Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

What means LOC G/S APPR ONLY

When on final approach with the MD-11 I see the following display on the PFD : LOC G/S APPR ONLY .The autoland always fails and I wonder what the above display means and more important how to correct it .ThanksPaul12

Herbert Werni

If the equipment redundancy requirements for DUAL LAND and SINGLE LAND are not met, or if a land mode is not engaged prior to 400 feet RA, the AFS will revert to APPROACH ONLY. In the APPROACH ONLY mode, the aircraft will continue to automatically track the localizer and glideslope but the autoland function will not be available. The AP must be disengaged prior to 100 feet and a manual landing performed.For a full discussion, review the Autopilot section, especially the part on ILS Approaches, under Supplemental Procedures in the FCOM. See also the ILS/IGS Precision Approach section on Page PT 30.9 which will walk you through the steps to fly a precision approach.

It can also mean a problem with the ILS and G/S of the runway that you are trying to land on. I have run into this on numerous runways and from what I have read in the forums not all people's installations are affected by what I am going to desribe.I have a runway 12/30 at Houston Hobby - KHOU. I can autoland on 30, but I can not autoland on 12. Both 12 and 30 have an ILS and G/S, but for some reason when on approach to 12 the plane picks up the ILS and G/S for 30.I am not saying that it is, but the above could be what you are experiencing. If this is happening try landing in the opposite direction and see what happens. Another example of where I have seen this is 6R/24L at KLAX.

idahosurgeThat really crazy about KLAX. Runways 24L/06R I use it probably 80% of the time in all kinds of planes with no problem. I land the MD-11 every otherday on flight from EDDF to KLAX on that runway. Forget KJFK 04L or KBOS 33L, the MD-11 crashes at around 40ft AGL on an ILS approach every time with no warning. Go figure.Michael Cubine

This might be a symptom of a known FSX issue. When a runway uses the same ILS frequency in both directions, an FSX aircraft picks up the ILS station closest to it when it comes into range and does not change it. The easy workaround is if you are approaching a runway from the wrong end, even if you are off to the side, do not select the ILS frequency until the end you want to land on is closer to you then its other end.

Rwy 12 at KHOU does this even if you fly direct to Rwy 12 from the north and never go near Rwy 30. Same thing with 24L at KLAX, fly straight to it coming in to LAX from the east and it still will not pick it up. You can even see in the PFD that the ILS being picked up is 6R (IGPE) instead of the ILS for 24L (IHQB). Anyway, after two weeks of testing, trying different things and finding no solution it is just one of the things that I learned to live with. If I am coming in and get "approach only" I just change to manual and enjoy the practice.

You can manually change the freq of an ILS by editing the AFCAD. Search for this in the file library, I bet I've seen one already done.

Yes you can change the ILS freq, you can even disable it, but I did not go that route. If you do it then you have to write them all down someplace and then remember where you put the paper so you can enter them into the FMS when you are 20 miles out or whatever.I just go to manual when I run into this now, it is a lot easier and since I know why I get the "approach only" message I decided not to spend a lot of time modifing airport bgl's, not worth the effort to me.