Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

ENBSERIES plug-in and Alt+Enter crash?

Just a quick note, I don't have FSWC or *******'s shader mod on my system. None of the ******* tweaks in my fsx.cfg, apart from highmemfix=1. Everything was setup according to NickN's tuning guide for FSX/W7. I suspect that having the d3d9.dll loaded might be the culprit, even if the effect is disabled. I will try some more tests today and report back.

Thanks for the heads up on not using FSWC, AJ, now I don't need to uninstall mine :(!I just got a crash with the Realair Duke, same issue and faulting module= unknown. I guess it is advanced enough to cause the crash? I am going to try the Default C172 for a while, to see if I can get it to crash as well as the Carenado C Skylane 182 RG II. Maybe it's just a higher percentage with more advanced AC and not ruled out completely.It does seem to be only the d3d9.dll, but incase others want the other files I mentioned, you can find them below:Nick Needham = http://www.simforums.com/forums/enb-bloom-mod-nicks-cOnfig-updated_topic32482.htmlTim (Rex) = http://realenvironmentxtreme.com/forum/index.php?topic=7467.0The other two I use (Warm and Neutral) are from ELCarma found near the bottom of this link (Second from the bottom) = http://realenvironmentxtreme.com/forum/index.php?topic=7467.30I'm currently enjoying the Neurtal palette from ElCarma, but as I mentioned, so far all crash and the issue has to be the d3d9.dll itself.*Be sure to edit each ini to read UseEffect=0. I still think it has made a difference with me but could also be nothing more than placebo effect,, unfortunately.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Before I applied the "useeffect=0" ini edit, FSX would consistently crash with the following message:Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: fsx.exe Application Version: 10.0.61472.0 Application Timestamp: 475e17d3 Fault Module Name: unknown Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000 Exception Code: c0000096 Exception Offset: 2b2b2b2c OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1 Locale ID: 1033Additional information about the problem: LCID: 1033However, After the ini mod to automatically disable ENB when mode switching, the screen just went black and subsequent attempts to regain control were fruitless and I needed force shutdown FSX with ctrl-shift-esc. Man, its always something. In my XP days I had frequent issues with full-windowed mode, but FSX wouldn't crash. I would have to fiddle around multiple times, but eventually I would regain control. Now when I get black screens (at least with ENB) my luck has run out, game over.Dan, do you have "affinitymask=14" in your fsx.cfg? I ask because I swear this issue surfaced on my system with ENB enabled after I added affinitymask. I read somewhere that the ENB mod may conflict with having affinitymask on. I'd rather not have this mod in my cfg, but there is a well documented issue with TRACKIR and FSX on Windows7 that induces stutters when panning, and the affinitymask is the only way to correct this. I reported this in the past on the forums here, but others say that it is nonsense.

Update, I loaded up my "test scenario", MD11 on final app to LSZH. Ran in full screen for the entire approach, and once I shutdown at the gate I used the fsx menu to switch to windowed mode. No crash at that moment, but I got the ole black screen, and no way to recover. Eventually FSX crashes with API.dll fault module. It's not looking good on my system, I may just have to put the ENB mod in the hangar. I don't like the uncertainity of knowing that there is a 90% chance of a CTD, and I have run as many tests as I could. Without ENB and the d3d9.dll, FSX is rock hard stable.It's a real shame, I wish there was a way to figure out why are systems are rejecting this mod. Best of luck, I am hoping some guru's come aboard and can offer their assistance

I wonder if these crashes are at all related to the UIAutomationCore problem.http://forums1.avsim.net/topic/273341-heres-the-apparent-fix-to-fsx-crashing-win-7-x64/page__hl__UIAutomationCore.dllI started getting this problem after installing Ultimate Traffic 2 and accessing the menus to view various traffic by selecting different planes from the menu. After I applied this fix it stopped. This CTD generally happend after accessing the menu approximately 20 times.I'll have to try this HDR plugin this weekend and see if I can recreate the problem by disabling the fix I found above and disabling UT2.-Jason Fiset

I added the UIautomation fix to my system. It was one of the first things I did when I read up on how to install FSX and get it to behave with Win7. As far as I know, I have done everything I can to have FSX run optimially with the new OS, and without ENB bloom loaded, I have zero CTD issues.I wish I knew why some systems with Win7 64 can't run FSX with this bloom mod, when I was on xp64 I had no issues whatsoever with full screen-windowed mode with ENB, and I really miss having it.It's always something, with xp I had black/cream screen issues with or without ENB, and I was hoping that W7 would fix that. Now I have those issues again, but only with ENB enabled.

I ran into something last night which raised an eyebrow. First of all, I have been able to get a crash consistently in the Realair Duke B60, so even though it's a great aircraft, don't think it really qualifies too much in the "advanced aircraft" category. I did try the default C-172 though after several crashes with the Duke and wasn't able to get it. There were times it would take a lont time to refresh but always did eventually.Also, the night I tried turning the effect to 0, I really thought it was fixed since I went a lonng time without seeing it and did a ton of resizing and ALT+Tabbing. That night I came was also running a fresh FSX startup with a very cool comp. Last night when I cam home from work I booted up my cold comp and went right into FSX and had the same temporary stability. There seems to be a clear difference but could also just be a fluke I guess.Any devs know a way to write a script to create a verbose log to log and hopefully catch some good data? I know there are log tracking options in FSUIPC, but not sure if that will see it. I'll try and see what it comes up with I guess.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I am not so sure it is linked to hardware and temperatures, but it could be a possibility. When I had FSX installed on WinXp, I found I had to be more aggressive with cooling the GPU, as there seemed to be a lower tolerence in that regard. I had never seen the nvidia display driver fail when all was going smooth, and I found it was occuring when the GPU hit a certain temp, temps it would hit in Vista but never crash on. There could be something with this dll, as I believe it to be quite old, I get a little line of text when FSX boots that references GTA San Andreas, so maybe there is some aspect of the older software that is less tolerent to GPUs running hot and any sort of degredation that comes with such a situation. However, with that being said, when running FSX I open my case and have a second fan blow air at angle into the case and the temperatures are far from what they were before and I doubt anyone would call them "extreme", so as a result I am not yet convinced this is an issue. What it seems it could be is an old DirectX 9 dll running in the native Direct X 11 environment of Windows 7 just not dancing to the same beat. And I think ENBSERIES lacks elegance all around, it is seemingly jarring itself into the sim everytime something happens. Popup windows, greenbar text, refresh in FSPax little mini display all cause the ENB Effect to disappear for a very short time and then come back in. Running in some form of Win XP compat. mode makes sense to me on a theoretical level, as you are trying to mimic the old enviornment for which this tweak was made, but on a practical level, I have yet to ever see WinXP comapt. mode ever solve anything in FSX. I just dont think that feature in Windows is that powerful a tool, always had the impression it just sort of changed the way the system "looked" to the program as opposed to how it actually functions (that would require VirtualPC or equivalent).I plan on doing another quick flight in the JS4100, boot the machine up from cold, fly at night from Kona on the Big Island to PHNL and see if turning off the mod at appropriate times has any change on stability, if not to find a better solution but rather to learn more about how it is working, and it is the night lights that really got me interested in this thing in the first place.So after that long runon post, I am off to the airport.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Dan, do you have "affinitymask=14" in your fsx.cfg? I ask because I swear this issue surfaced on my system with ENB enabled after I added affinitymask. I read somewhere that the ENB mod may conflict with having affinitymask on. I'd rather not have this mod in my cfg, but there is a well documented issue with TRACKIR and FSX on Windows7 that induces stutters when panning, and the affinitymask is the only way to correct this. I reported this in the past on the forums here, but others say that it is nonsense.
Hmm sorry but I see I missed this. Not sure AJ, I'll have to check when I get off work. I think I do or something like that.@Scott:Good luck but I did a flight this morning with it off the entire time and still got a crash. I started in wondowed mode to enter my winds then did minimal menu activity, just enough to get FSP loaded then added a quick 100lbs to get the fuel warning out of the way and thought I was all set. I had it loaded but not enabled and forgot all about it and after I landed I still had 15 minutes before the time I estimated for my passengers and Alt+Entered to check my email and bam,,, It was ready to happen any and would have happened just like you when you were ending your FSP flight.Edit: Actual AJ, I forgot I had my cfg uploaded to one of my websites. Yes I have the [JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14but not sure off the top of my head when I did that, must have been a while ago. Maybe try to remove it and see what happens?

Dan Prunier

So I did two flights yesterday, like I posted, short little hops in the Hawaiian Islands in the JS4100, and both times I got the Black Screen of Eternity when closing out the FSPax flight.Today, I flew two more Hawaii island hops, one from Kona to Honolulu, the next from Honolulu to Lihue, both in the same session of FSX, using FS2Crew as a thru-flight. I had everything running as normal and as before (ASE, RC4, FSFK, AISmooth, same REX Text.), the only difference is that during preflight stuff, like getting pax loads from FSPax, fuel the plane, initial FS2Crew setup, I had the ENB off (which I have it set to default now), then once the plane was set up, and FSPax was loading passengers, I turned it on. Flew a night flight (which was a bit of a shock to me, as NickNs ENB file does make nightime dark as it supposed to), a very nice flight, landed, parked at the gate, shutdown the engines, then when the last passenger is off and I finished recording down fuel load and burn and blocktime, I turn off ENB, close the FSPax flight with no crash (I also did it with one eye open and fingers crossed), but still no crash.Then I rinsed and repeated, was able to fly from Honolulu to Lihue (which is a shorter flight), using the same procedure and it was a success.Now I am not saying this is a cure all, as I am sure this has been tried by a few people, but it certainly seems to add stability to the sim doing things in this manner. I have been wondering about the affinity mask, due to some things I have read recently, and will plan on disabling that on a future flight and see if I can stress out the ENB into the Black Screen. But until then, the issue seems to be having the ENB mod working while the window is being either made or altered.

Hi Scott, Not saying that it was a placebo effect because if you look at my earlier post I mentioned that I strongly think if there was someway to disable it before hitting the menu's or alt+enter, or resizing etc... then I thought the issue would be gone. The fact of the matter is, or atleast I think that it does infact help. But on page one you'll see I cheered a bit to early and after doing flights exactly like you mentioned had great results, but of course, after I made my post, the next day bammo. Also look at the thread I linked on page one where Nick and I were talking about your exact scenerio. The reality is that the dll is active whether it is disabled or not, BUT like you saw too, it does indeed help.The worst discovery for me was with the post above where I tested a 2hour flight with it installed, but disabled the entire time, not once put it on and it crashed. I then later was able to replicate the crash again with it disabled the whole time with a much lighter and simpler aircraft being the Duke B60.Of course you know, I'm not trying to whiz on your cheerios haha. Just trying to sort through this mess and help us all pinpoint what we have in common and get this thing hopefully fixed :Big Grin:Please keep us informed of your results. If this does infact maintain a crash free fix for you, it will still be a step in the right direction. Once again, it does make a difference for me disabling it before doing anything to redraw the DX window, but unfortunately for me the problem is still there, just not as often.Edit: As for the affinitymask, does anyone know where that tweak originated? Or was it always in the fsx.cfg? My mind is mush today and can't remeber for the life of me.

Dan Prunier

Hi Scott,Not saying that it was a placebo effect because if you look at my earlier post I mentioned that I strongly think if there was someway to disable it before hitting the menu's or alt+enter, or resizing etc... then I thought the issue would be gone. The fact of the matter is, or atleast I think that it does infact help. But on page one you'll see I cheered a bit to early and after doing flights exactly like you mentioned had great results, but of course, after I made my post, the next day bammo. Also look at the thread I linked on page one where Nick and I were talking about your exact scenerio. The reality is that the dll is active whether it is disabled or not, BUT like you saw too, it does indeed help.The worst discovery for me was with the post above where I tested a 2hour flight with it installed, but disabled the entire time, not once put it on and it crashed. I then later was able to replicate the crash again with it disabled the whole time with a much lighter and simpler aircraft being the Duke B60.Of course you know, I'm not trying to whiz on your cheerios haha. Just trying to sort through this mess and help us all pinpoint what we have in common and get this thing hopefully fixed Big Grin.gifPlease keep us informed of your results. If this does infact maintain a crash free fix for you, it will still be a step in the right direction. Once again, it does make a difference for me disabling it before doing anything to redraw the DX window, but unfortunately for me the problem is still there, just not as often.Edit: As for the affinitymask, does anyone know where that tweak originated? Or was it always in the fsx.cfg? My mind is mush today and can't remeber for the life of me.
My next step is trying the same procedure except for more flights, I currently am planne on flying a three stage route, with the loading of fuel and FSPax each time, I figure all that action mixed with actual flying should figure to be a good stress test, as opposed to just massive Alt+Tabs which can still crash the sim with Highmemfix and UIAutocore.I am very worried about a 'placebo', as my personal experience there is never just an easy fix for FSX issues (not counting the Highmemfix which when you look at it, it is almost too good to be true)As far as affinitymask, I do recall NickN having it in his FSX installation guide back for WinXP and Vista (but then and now NickN seems to suggest such a thing is not neccessary). I began using affinitymask after ******* showed up with all his findings and his explanation made enough sense for me to follow along. Nicks on the other hand gives me the impression (which I do get about him alot) that if he didnt figure it out, it isnt real. He seems to look at any tweak suggested by others, and especially here at AVSIM, as being snake oil. He is a very smart man when it comes to computers, far smarter than me, and I have asked his advice on specific things on my system a few times, however there always seems to be a bit of an ego thing underlying his posts, be it genuine, or just due to his vocabulary and sentence style, I just always find him very quick to attack other methods on getting the most out of FSX. I personally use a lot of his ideas found in his installation guide, but have used alot of *******' stuff and of course I think Ryan M here at PMDG to be a very very smart dude on computers. I trust his knowledge as much as anyones.I will keep you all in the loop and see if ENB crashes on my next go around, off to the airfield right now to get the JS4100 fueled up, file the flight plans, and get up into that great blue yonder.

No go, I am not convinced that such procedure is a cure to anything. It does add stability, but the probabiliy of crash still makes flying with the ENBseries unattractive. I will later test it with the affinity mask off, and then look into compatability mode.

Let me know if you're able to get compatibility mode to work. I get errors and FSX won't start with XP SP3 mode. First I get an error about the fsdt addon manager screwing up or something then fsx fails to load. I have no idea how I got that addon manager thing back in there,,, must have been a drunk'n moment or something, but if time permits later I'm going to uninstall it again and see what happens. Not much time tonight since I am knee deep in some RC4 refreshers.

Dan Prunier

Good point guys, the useeffect ini edit does add stability, but there is still that chance of a blackout/crash with the darned dll loaded. My easily reproducable CTD's were replaced with a black screen of death, but since I can't recover from the black screens its just about the same as a CTD.I'm flying without the mod installed in FSX, but I am hopeful someone can come around and work their magic. Since most diehard FSX users now swear by Windows7, and especially the 64 bit iteration, I am hoping this issue comes to the forefront of FSX discussion.I miss the blooming bloom!