Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

AVG and FSX

Guys, I'm trying to eliminate programs runnning the background because I've had some CTD's with FSX. No matter what I do I cannot actually turn ALL of AVG off. It still shows up in the Task Manager...anyways anyone know how I can stop it without actually unistalling it? ThanksRon Hamilton

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Hi Ron,Have you tried disabling the AVG services (msconfig)?Anyway I don't believe AVG is explaining your CTDs.You might find some helpful tips in the CTD forum.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I was a long time user of the free AVG and was happy with it. Then I did one of their major version upgrades and found out I could not shut it off completely, so I wne looking for another option, because it is *my* computer. I settled for Avira (free version) and it will allow me to stop all processes if I so choose.

I also used AVG until the last version came out. Much too difficult to turn off. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I think the bit of AVG that could cause a lot of CPU use is the resident shield. This scans any file that is being opened, copied, or saved.You can create exceptions to this so that AVG does not scan certain files or folders so it may be worth excuding your FS folder, at least while you are using FS.Open AVG, tools->advanced settings, then go to Resident shield->excluded items on the left and in the right hand pane add the path to your FS directory. If you wish you can always untick the box when you have finished with FS.

I think the bit of AVG that could cause a lot of CPU use is the resident shield. This scans any file that is being opened, copied, or saved.You can create exceptions to this so that AVG does not scan certain files or folders so it may be worth excuding your FS folder, at least while you are using FS.Open AVG, tools->advanced settings, then go to Resident shield->excluded items on the left and in the right hand pane add the path to your FS directory. If you wish you can always untick the box when you have finished with FS.
This is the exact way I fly FSX and it works great. I have FSX on it's own drive and I have excluded that drive permanently. I mostly disable Resident Shield altogether when I fly FSX.

Bert

I have AVG on another machine. It does have it's own settings within to turn of alot if not all its features until you wnat to turn them back on. In the AVG main screen at the top there are menus you can access to do so. I'm not sure which one, but I think you should have no trouble finding what I'm talking about. Let us know how you make out. If I get a chance tonight, I will look at it for you and post what I find. Warm regards, Jeff

I have the current version of AVG (2011 Free Edition) installed on my PC ... Windows 7 64-bit ... and have no problems at all with it. It has a neat new feature called "Game Mode" (found in the Tools menu, Advanced Settings). I have ALL the features switched on, including that one, AND I run FSX at the same time with all of that still switched on. With the PREVIOUS version of AVG, I needed to disable the resident shield whilst flying or else I would suffer a frame rate hit. But, with this new version of AVG and the "Game Mode" option I see no issue whatsover with loss of frame rates, even with resident shield still turned on. In fact, I tried a test with "Game Mode" switched on but turning off resident shield to check the frame rates ... and there was neither an increase or a decrease with resident shield on or off. No difference. In short, I have no issues whatsover running this latest version of AVG, even with ALL of the features turned on and running FSX at the same time. Regarding other posts in this thread, I have not had need to try to turn AVG off and therefore I cannot comment on that aspect of it. However, in closing, I do recognise this is *MY* particular experience ... and, for others, and different machines etc, mileage may certainly vary.

Regards,

Freddy