Sign in to follow this  
Toys_R_Us

No News Is Bad News ?

I hope Microsoft goes bananas with detail and eye candy, and I wouldn't mind more tweaking at all. The tweaking interface could be done much better though, and all sliders should be better explained as to what they do and how they will affect performance. Just plain stupid to have to search out Internet forums to find info about how to setup the program. For those not wanting to tweak automated low, medium and high settings are always there. Also Microsoft should make a fully automated benchmark flight that will test the setup in terms of CPU, GPU and RAM load, and high low and average fps.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I think the "simplicity of Flight" will provide a greatly reduced 'in game' tweaking ability.The "universal appeal of the experience of Flight" indicates an emphasis on flying and not tweaking.Regards, Mike Mann

It is as simple as providing two interfaces, one "simple" and one "advanced", or maby two completely different interfaces for two versions of the sim, a regular retail edition and a gold edition (with SDK and advanced tweaking options). Some people just need to get over the fact that there isn't something wrong with a game just because you can't move all the sliders to the right. Tweaking options are a must. There is almost an unlimited number of hardware configurations out there that will run the sim. Unless Microsoft starts making their own line of PCs, tweaking will be part of the experience, unless they decide to make flight an arcade style flying game which would be much simpler and easier to perform well on average computer systems.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

No. Microsoft at least learns from their mistakes. Remember Aces? Magic screenshots? DX10? Vista showcase software? Remember how all that blathering before release exploded like Fat Boy over Hiroshima when none of that was true upon release? This time I think MS is keeping their mouths shut, no promises, no claims of grandeur and that is probably the best thing.
Just for a bit of historical accuracy- it was Little Boy that was dropped on Hiroshima- Aug 6/45, from a B29 piloted by Col. Paul Tibbets.On Aug 8, Fat Man exploded over Nagasaki.I still vividly recall hearing the electrifying news on the radio! Alex Reid

Some people just need to get over the fact that there isn't something wrong with a game just because you can't move all the sliders to the right. Tweaking options are a must.
Some people just need to get over the fact that there isn't something wrong with a game just because you can't move all the sliders to the right. Tweaking options are a must.
Quoted, for truth.

I think if the sim runs at 30 fps with all sliders maxed on equipment that's bleeding edge on the day of Flight's release, that would be reasonable. There's room to grow for those of us with more pedestrian systems, while silencing the potential howls of "I'M USING A BRAND NEW COMPUTER! WHY CAN'T I RUN WITH MAX DETAILS!?!?!" that always fly (no pun intended) on a new FS release. I'm a pretty avid PC gamer, so I understand how the tech curve runs with new games vs. aging computers. My guess is that a majority of those who can't understand why their three year old computer runs a new version of FS like crap probably only count Flight Simulator as their only "game" (yeah, I did just use that word there.)

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.