Sign in to follow this  
realpilotsimpilot

FSX Partition size

I'm probably about to re do my hard drives to switch to SSD. As part of this, I'm going to either do separate FSX and Windows Partitions or actual drives. I've read a fair amount online that suggests 60 to 80 is more than enough for Windows 7 (minimum size of 20, tripled or quadrupled), but how much space should I give to FSX?Between the program itself, and the usual (and growing list of addons) UTX &GTX for US and Europe, REX 2.0, couple add-on airports from FS Dream Team and others, Ultimate Traffic 2, all current PMDG FSX aricraft, a couple other aircraft, FS2Crew, etc., etc, etc., this is a large collection of stuff. How much space do I really need? Is there a factor/multiple I should use? Anyone have a current size that they think is sufficient? Thanks.

Guest wims

My FSX folder is currently 42 gigs, but I have seen people with much, much bigger ones, over 100 gigs.

My FSX folder is currently 42 gigs, but I have seen people with much, much bigger ones, over 100 gigs.
Thanks. How would you compare your list to my list in my post?

This is madness!

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Alternatively to SSD You could think about PCIe SATAII Controller, expensive as hell but so are SSDs, it will help "spread the wings" of Your current drives. I'll definitely give a try to this solution before buying small SSD for the same price, sorry for off topic wink.gif

100 GB is a good place to start. I'd recommend even more. Maybe get a 128 GB SSD for FSX alone. It depends a bit on your add ons. For instance, I have installed all my add-on meshes on my FSX partition. A good global mesh takes aprox. 15 GB. The ORBX sceneries are all several GB in size as well, with individual airports take up to 700 MB. The EGPWS database of the LSH Maddog also is about 3 GB in size. The FSX folder can get really big.

Alternatively to SSD You could think abut PCIe SATAII Controller, expensive as hell but so are SSDs, it will help "spread the wings" of Your current drives. I'll definitely give a try to this solution before buying small SSD for the same price, sorry for off topic wink.gif
Truth be told, I got a free OCZ 120 GB SSD. At first I was just going to replace my existing harddive, but then I did some reading, and I've seen a lot of good discussion about why its better to have more partitions and how for an SSD I might need to do a clean install anyway, so I decided, since I might be reinstalling FSX and the add ons anyway, that maybe I should bite the bullet and just convert over to SSD now for FSX too. Current main drive is a velociraptor.

I would suggest using a separate drive for FSX, only the one partition. If you use the drive with two or more partitions, remember that it only has one connection to the mainboard, so operations to different partitions have to share the same interface...If you have a SSD, use it in its entirety, only the one partition, and have your OS on a separate drive...My opinion... and the way I will be doing it in due course...Andrew

This is madness!
Well I got around 205GB now, including FSG2010, REX and NL2000 folders (which are not in the FSX folder itself). I heard it's sufficient to put FS on the SSD, especially for fast texture loading for the sceneries. The system drive itself doesn't really need to be that fast once FS has started up.

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

For FSX, 100 Gb is peanuts.  My FSX folder has 154 Gb right now without including the FSX SDK, Ground Environment X North America, Real Environment extreme and other add-ons placed in separate folders.  The future prognosis is grim.   My FSX drive has only 558 Gb

Thanks for updating a 5+ year thread :).

Also, please sign with your full name in the PMDG forums as per the rules thanks.

For FSX, 100 Gb is peanuts.  My FSX folder has 154 Gb right now without including the FSX SDK, Ground Environment X North America, Real Environment extreme and other add-ons placed in separate folders.  The future prognosis is grim.   My FSX drive has only 558 Gb

Thanks for updating a 5+ year thread :).

Also, please sign with your full name in the PMDG forums as per the rules thanks.

Mine 90GB but yeah it can get well over 100GB for some people. 

For FSX, 100 Gb is peanuts.
Do you have a question about a problem or are you just stating facts?