Sign in to follow this  
slait

The mysteries of SimConnect

Is is just me or is there very little information out there on the basics of SimConnect? I've spent the better part of two hours looking for help on it and have come up empty. How does it get installed? How is it configured? I've read it's installed by FSX Deluxe by default, but I can find no evidence that it's even running.Create xml files here, ini files there, cfg files over there... Is it really designed to be that difficult? Either I'm missing a large amount of very basic info, or this is truly an unfriendly application. If someone knows of a dummies guide for figuring this thing out I would be forever grateful. Until then I guess I'm forced to give up and forget the possibility of using applications such as PlanG on remote systems.

- Aaron

I think it’s not really intended to be user friendly :)The SDK is the first place to get the basics..Sorry, that's probably not very helpful :( """ The SimConnect SDK can be used by programmers to write add-on components for Flight Simulator X. Add-on components for Flight Simulator X can be written in C, C++, or, if the managed API calls are being used, any .NET language such as C#.net or VB.net."""

I think it’s not really intended to be user friendly :)
Well then, mission accomplished!

- Aaron

Guest scottmm73

What issue are you having?I learned simconnect by trial and error.

SlaitAs everyone says it is quite complex it can be repaired sometimes and although it has a special relationship to FSX it also has an equally if not more important relationship with the WinSxS folder (the world of manifests). Pete Dowson of FSUIPC4 fame has published a couple of posts about simconnect on his forum on simflight.It is unusual under normal circumstances to go wrong and its not easy to diagnose what has happened if it does go wrong!This post shows how versatile it can be: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526983.aspxGood luck with this one.PeterH

Hi,Here are the instructions I wrote myself after figuring out SimConnect. You will have to replace my path statements with yours.======================Configuring Simconnect======================1.Folders to share: A. D:\FSX B. C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX C. C:\Users\Mike\My Documents\Flight Simulator X FilesThe folders shown above should be shared with read/write permissions.2. Simconnect will only work with FSX Deluxe.3. FSX Service Packs 1 & 2 need to be installed.4. FSX SDK needs to be installed.5. FSX SDK SP1A update needs to be installed.6. Your FSX Computer is the server computer.7. Your networked computer is the client.8. Your firewall software must be configured to allow SimConnect communications on port 500, this includes windows firewall and applies to all computers, both SERVER and CLIENT(s).9. There are two files which must be configured on the server, they are: A. SimConnect.xml | Location - C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX NOTE: You will have to replace my ADDRESS and PORT with the one your using. B. SimConnect.ini | Location - C:\Users\Mike\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files--------------SimConnect.xml--------------<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?> - <SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0"> <Descr>SimConnect</Descr> <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename> <Disabled>False</Disabled> - <SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol> <Scope>global</Scope> <Address>MIKE-PC</Address> <MaxClients>64</MaxClients> <Port>500</Port> <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize> <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle> </SimConnect.Comm>- <SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>Auto</Protocol> <Scope>local</Scope> </SimConnect.Comm> </SimBase.Document>--------------SimConnect.ini--------------[simConnect]level=verboseconsole=0;RedirectStdOutToConsole=1;OutputDebugString=1;file=c:\simconnect%03u.log;file_next_index=0;file_max_index=910. Copy the simconnect.msi to all client computers and run the file.11. Copy the SimConnect.cfg file into the following folder on all client computers. NOTE: You will have to replace my ADDRESS and PORT with the one your using. A. C:\Users\Michael\My Documents--------------SimConnect.cfg--------------[simConnect]Protocol=IPv4Address=MIKE-PCPort=500MaxReceiveSize=4096DisableNagle=0I also use Wide Client, between both setups (SimConnect / Wide Client) I run the following on my network:1. ActiveSky Evolution2. FSBuild3. Radar Contact 44. FlightSim Commander5. Show TextHope this helps

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I saw your write-up elsewhere Michael, but alas it still doesn't work. First of all you have to be smart enough to know you need it. Then smart enough to know where to get it (it didn't install with FSX Deluxe as another poster suggested it would). Then smart enough to know how to configure it. After trial and error I found those items and eventually got it installed, but the configure part doesn't seem to be happening. I did as instructed and it doesn't seem to be loading as it clearly isn't listening on the configured port. In fact, when looking at netstat it doesn't appear to be listening on any port. Never thought I'd be longing for the days of FSUIPC and WideFS. That was simple compared to this "upgrade".

- Aaron

Isn't this in the WideFS documentation?SimConnect’s part of the API…for coders not users.

Gotta know the ports to configure though if you want to connect an application, such as PlanG, from another PC. That's what started this little trip down the rabbit hole.

- Aaron

Hi,Is your network connecting both computers?. Are you able to ping the IP's without packet loss? I use a crossover cable to connect my computers, as far as the network, this is what I've done.1. Connect both computers via a crossover cable.================================================Flight Sim Computer Ethernet Setup | COMPUTER #1================================================Internet Protocol TCP/IP------------------------IP Address: 192.168.0.40Subset Mask: 255.255.255.0Default Gateway: Leave This BlankDNS Server Addresses: Leave Both Blank_________________________________________________________Now go to My Computer, Control Panel, Network Connections1. Go to Advanced / Network Identification2. Computer Description = Flightsim3. Full Computer Name = System 14. Workgroup = MSHOME5. Advanced Sharing Settings - Turn Off Password Protection========================================================Flight Sim Add-ons Computer Ethernet Setup | COMPUTER #2========================================================Internet Protocol TCP/IP------------------------IP Address: 192.168.0.50Subset Mask: 255.255.255.0Default Gateway: Leave This BlankDNS Server Addresses: Leave Both Blank_________________________________________________________Now go to My Computer, Control Panel, Network Connections1. Go to Advanced / Network Identification2. Computer Description = Flightsim3. Full Computer Name = System 24. Workgroup = MSHOME5. Advanced Sharing Settings - Turn Off Password Protection===================================================================================Once this is done, check both setups by pinging them to ensure a connection.On Computer #1, go to the Command Prompt and enter the following.ping 192.168.0.50You will see the followingPinging 192.168.0.50 with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Ping statistics for 192.168.0.50:Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms-----------------------------------------------------------------On Computer #2, go to the Command Prompt and enter the following.ping 192.168.0.40You will see the followingPinging 192.168.0.40 with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 192.168.0.40: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.40: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.40: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.40: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Ping statistics for 192.168.0.40:Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0msIf you have no problems pinging both computers, all that's left is to Map Network Drives.I hope this helps.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

2. Simconnect will only work with FSX Deluxe.
Not entirely correct. You can't develop anything with Simconnect or use the network functions without FSX Deluxe/ SDK, but the runtime portion of it does function with FSX Standard, else no addons that use it would work, which most do.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Yeah, the networking isn't a problem. I can move files back and forth all day. It SimConnect itself I can't seem to figure out. I appreciate the response though.

- Aaron

Hi,If you don't mind me asking, what program(s) are you trying to connect via the network?.

Yeah, the networking isn't a problem. I can move files back and forth all day. It SimConnect itself I can't seem to figure out. I appreciate the response though.

I just spent about 40 hours trying to get it to work before I was successful.Shared files very important, W7 doesn't make this easy.There are THREE versions of SimConnect, you need to make sure that the same version is on both computers.Ports need to be open on the firewall AND (at least in my case) Port Forwarding in the Router.Good luck, I was very frustrated with the lack of information out there to deal with troubleshooting the problem of it not working. This link may help:http://squawkbox.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4553

Hi Tom,He is attempting to connect FSX and 3rd. party addons utilizing two computers via LAN, FSX Deluxe is required.

Not entirely correct. You can't develop anything with Simconnect or use the network functions without FSX Deluxe/ SDK, but the runtime portion of it does function with FSX Standard, else no addons that use it would work, which most do.