Sign in to follow this  
fxsttcb

Structural De-Ice

That may well be true, but why use deprecated methods when developing for FSX, specially as Sections 1513 or 1519 aren't necessary?.
Gerry, your assumption is that everyone is developing strictly for FSX, which is rather far from the case. Many are still developing for cross-platform usage, in which case it only makes sense to provide for every contingency.It harms nothing to add the entries to the .air file for FS9 support, and the aircraft.cfg entry for FSX support.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Gerry, your assumption is that everyone is developing strictly for FSX, which is rather far from the case. Many are still developing for cross-platform usage, in which case it only makes sense to provide for every contingency.It harms nothing to add the entries to the .air file for FS9 support, and the aircraft.cfg entry for FSX support.
True, but the OP specifically referred to FSX as did I.

True, but the OP specifically referred to FSX as did I.
However, this forum isn't for FSX and those entries are most definitely critical for all other FS versions and does zero harm in FSX.Have you tested that ice disappears without those entries in FSX?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

However, this forum isn't for FSX and those entries are most definitely critical for all other FS versions and does zero harm in FSX.Have you tested that ice disappears without those entries in FSX?
You must have:xxxxxxxx.air:Section 1513 - both values = 1Section 1519 - value = 1Aircraft.cfg:[deice_system]structural_deice_type=1Possible values for the [deice_system] areType of deicer, of one:0 = None1 = Heated Leading Edge2 = Bleed Air Boots3 = Eng Pump Boots.While I don't use XML... I can assure that in C++ gauges it all works.
. [My emphasis][deice_system] is not in the FS9 SDK, so your re[ply is only for FSX too.

. [My emphasis][deice_system] is not in the FS9 SDK, so your re[ply is only for FSX too.
Yet you didn't actually answer the question.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

how do you open an .air file to check? notepad won't work. my .air files infs9 are red but adobe won't open them/JD
They are binary files so you need a special application such as AirEd or Aircraft Airfile Manager which are available from here http://hsors.pagespe.../fsairfile.html Howver, they are not 100% reliable. I wrote my own application for FSX to check the contents of the .air file against Microsoft's list in airfiletokens.h.

Have you tested that ice disappears without those entries in FSX?
Yes I have and they are not needed. The default Boeing 747-400 has no entries in the .air file for Sections 1513 and 1519, but has the [deice_system] section with sructural_deice_type=1. I simply added a gauge to the aircraft and then flew it in icing conditions and watched the weight of ice build-up using AFSD. When I clicked the switch the ice disappeared instantly.
<Gauge Name="DeIce Switch" Version="1.0">    <Element>        <Select>            <Value>(A:STRUCTURAL DEICE SWITCH,bool)</Value>            <Case Value="0">                <Image Name="Off.bmp" />            </Case>            <Case Value="1">                <Image Name="On.bmp" />            </Case>        </Select>    </Element>    <Mouse>                <Cursor Type="Hand" />        <Click Event="TOGGLE_STRUCTURAL_DEICE" />    </Mouse></Gauge>

Let me ask a question. What are the values in Section 1513 of the .air file that must be set to 1 for deicing to function?

They are marked in AAM as vacuum loss related. In fact they're marked as pnuematic related in the air token constants.There are two double values and they both must equal at least 1 for anti-icing to function. Why? I don't know. You'd have to ask those who decoded the .air files long, long before I ever touched them.I simply know that if they are not set correctly... there is no anti-ice in FS9 at all. As for FSX, since I don't have to worry about an extra record or two... I simply don't bother testing further.If one develops only FSX, then things may indeed be different. If one develops for both sims, then my original post stands.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi,fs9, just a test and it works.<String>%((A:STRUCTURAL DEICE SWITCH,bool))%{if}ON%{else}OFF%{end}</String>Toggle: (>K:TOGGLE_STRUCTURAL_DEICE)If you have collected ice, it will vanish immediatly after toggling.(Mind the airfiles!)Jan
Perhaps I'm too happy and I'm understanding this wrong, does this actually mean you'll see ice form on the aircraft or only feel it? Is there a variable which will tell you how much ice you've accumulated? Which version of FS?

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

Angel-Simulations-Small.png

No you won't see a thing unless the 3D modeler decided to build that type of animation into the model. It can affect flight dynamics. I don't think there's a variable in FS9, so you'd have to do the calculations. There is a variable in FSX.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

No you won't see a thing unless the 3D modeler decided to build that type of animation into the model. It can affect flight dynamics. I don't think there's a variable in FS9, so you'd have to do the calculations. There is a variable in FSX.
Thank You Ed. The only model that I have seen with visually modeled ice build up on the actual aircraft is the Lotus Sim Albatross, I wonder how this is achieved, is it difficult?

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

Angel-Simulations-Small.png

Thank You Ed. The only model that I have seen with visually modeled ice build up on the actual aircraft is the Lotus Sim Albatross, I wonder how this is achieved, is it difficult?
I'm not a modeler so really couldn't answer that.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I think it's not that difficult using a 'decal'...try thisMake a copy of the mesh where ice is to appear - like the wing.Delete any un-needed polys - For instance delete everything except the wing’s leading edge .Offset the vertices along the normal(~0.75") - The mesh is a decal that fits over the original surface.Texture like ice.Add the visibility tag.Test in all different times of day ;)In FSX the visibility script could look like this.Tune 0.025 to get the effect to show with more or less ice.Danny

<PartInfo>	<Name>XXX_visIce</Name>	<Visibility>		<Parameter>			<Code>(A:STRUCTURAL ICE PCT, Percent over 100) 0.025 ></Code>		</Parameter>	</Visibility></PartInfo>

Danny is absolutely correct. In fact, you can have a series of "decals" that show/hide at various points of "icing." The same technique can be used for "icing up" the glass as well. ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator