Sign in to follow this  
Pochi

Most realistic REX WX set for the NGX

Dear all,What would be the most realistic WX set from REX2 to fly the NGX over Europe? Particularly, sky and clouds textures....I found my try with various REX set to be to much blue or to much purpleor orange for sunset or dusk.Any idea would be appreciated.Happy flights and best regards,Pierre

Come on, there should be a limit of how many topics that can be combined with the NGX - whats next? - What kind of socks is the best for flying the NGX?There is no most realistic WX for for flying the NGX..Tom

Socks? Why not? Saitek Rudder pedals are quite slippery :( I should have put my post in FSX forum maybe. Is there a way to move it there? I just wrote here as I wonder what sets are used in PMDG screenshots.Anyway my mistake.Pierre

Here is what I am currently using. It looks very much like what I see when looking out the window here in Northern Germany.Sky:

• Icy Coast
  • Reality
  • Ice

Clouds:

• Cumulus 33
  • Cirrus 15

Sun:

• Great Sun
  • Default Flare
  • Default Lightning
  • Xeon Landing Lights
  • Real Strobes
  • 4 Stars Runway Lights

Everything else is really depending on your own taste. I use ASE for weather, which creates awesome IMC situations. Not sure about the REX weather engine.

I use this, and it provides very desirable effects.Sky:African DawnJust RightIceClouds:Cumulus Set 32 HD EnabledCirrus Set 03Water:Island and Ocean Water: That is up to you.Tropical Water: I use two. Sometimes I use 'Color Me Beautiful' other times I use 'Heavenly Beyond'. (For the Caribbean, 'Heavenly Beyond' is the most realistic.Wave: Sparkling (Having spent a lot of time cruising the ocean, this closely resembles ocean water.)Runway/Taxiway - (I think I've perfected this)Asphalt Runway - 08Asphalt Taxiway - 01Concrete Runway - 11Concrete Taxiway - 06Airport Environment:ScuffedEnhancedParking 2SoakedSun/Lighting:LazyBlazeSt Elmos FireXeonRealGuidanceHope this helps!

Okay, you want something that will give you very grey skies and overcast for poor weather in Europe, on sunny days the blue of European skies will rival anything anywhere else in the world, so pick a blue colour you particularly like and go with that. Cumulus clouds are extremely common over Europe on most average days, since there's a lot of water about and plenty of land mass to kick off thermal activity, so pick some nice fluffy cumulus. That'll give you a decent average set for most of Europe.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Speaking of REX, I'm trying to choose between that program and Active Sky Evolution. I've read where you can buy both programs and use some of each, but I'm only going to buy one. Any suggestions as to which one is better, or it is mostly "6 of 1, half-dozen of the other"??

Nothing is going to be specifically good for the NGX haha - just make it look like what the sky looks like in that area - that's what I do for the desert here where I live. (It's a good thing Tim Fuchs is also from Arizona haha, he included some great sets that replicate the look of the dusty dry air here)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thank you for your answers everybody^^I will give a try to some set given here and follow others advices!Best regards,Pierre

Guys, hope im not hijacking the thread, but i have a question:Im currently using REX for both cloud/sky/sea textures, and its weather engine. The problem for me though is its not very good at getting the "correct" weather into FSX. What i mean is that i can check the latest metar on an airport and then load it up with the REX weather engine and it will be a bit different in wind/temp and sometimes even pressure. The differences are not very large and completely acceptable when on the ground at an airport, but when i takeoff the winds aloft speeds are often way wrong and any winds components i've calculated for the cruise portion gets thrown out of the window. I know that this is in part due to FSX limitations, but after hearing some people using ASE as weather engine, and its Fsuipc connections im wondering if it would be more accurate. I looked up ASE Evolution and it looks pretty impressive, weather station triangulation (or was it "rectangulation"? ;) and other cool things. So what i want to know is, have anyone tried both and is ASE Evolution more accurate when it comes to winds aloft inside of FSX?Thanks and sorry for going offtopic Pierre. My settings in REX are the "Reality" theme, with either its water setting or "its water" for that algae look. This is pretty accurate in Sweden where i fly alot, but it might be way off for other countries.

Guest 413X3

The only solution, which most people do, is use REX to install textures and run the weather program Active Sky Evolution. With the new service pack it's almost perfect, better than it's ever been. I open up REX2 Over Drive, load a flight plan, and install weather related textures. Close, then open Active Sky and then FSX and enjoy.

Guys, hope im not hijacking the thread, but i have a question:Im currently using REX for both cloud/sky/sea textures, and its weather engine. The problem for me though is its not very good at getting the "correct" weather into FSX. What i mean is that i can check the latest metar on an airport and then load it up with the REX weather engine and it will be a bit different in wind/temp and sometimes even pressure. The differences are not very large and completely acceptable when on the ground at an airport, but when i takeoff the winds aloft speeds are often way wrong and any winds components i've calculated for the cruise portion gets thrown out of the window. I know that this is in part due to FSX limitations, but after hearing some people using ASE as weather engine, and its Fsuipc connections im wondering if it would be more accurate. I looked up ASE Evolution and it looks pretty impressive, weather station triangulation (or was it "rectangulation"? ;) and other cool things. So what i want to know is, have anyone tried both and is ASE Evolution more accurate when it comes to winds aloft inside of FSX?Thanks and sorry for going offtopic Pierre. My settings in REX are the "Reality" theme, with either its water setting or "its water" for that algae look. This is pretty accurate in Sweden where i fly alot, but it might be way off for other countries.
Make sure you set the Weather Change over Time slider (or whatever it is called) in FSX to 0. Otherwise you will always see a small difference between the METAR and the actual weather, even with ASE. But in general, ASE is very accurately depicting what's in the METAR. The DWC mode in particular is amazing, as long as you use it with FSUIPC.