Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

GEX Europe update v2.0

I downloaded and installed the update, and the result was very nice, visually. I took to flying throughout France and you can clearly see the work that went into this update version. Most enjoyable, and I thank the developers for this!!!Also, check out GEX North America, as there is a minor update for that as well if you haven't checked in awhile. You might as well download them both and then do the defrag thing....Then...a BACK-UP hard drive image, lol!Cheers,

I downloaded and installed the update, and the result was very nice, visually. I took to flying throughout France and you can clearly see the work that went into this update version. Most enjoyable, and I thank the developers for this!!!Also, check out GEX North America, as there is a minor update for that as well if you haven't checked in awhile. You might as well download them both and then do the defrag thing....Then...a BACK-UP hard drive image, lol!Cheers,
HelloI installed it and was not impressed with how the UK and northern Europe now lookWay too brown now in my opinion, the colours in GEX Europe are not anywhere near realistic.I have tried with UT landclass, scenerytech, Xclass and also Myworld landclasses and still feel that the textures are wrong in this area.Further south things improve somewhat but the world still looks like it is covered in carpet tiles.Loved GE Pro for FS9 but I have uninstalled GEX europe now and am back to using the default sets + Matt Mills textures

HelloI installed it and was not impressed with how the UK and northern Europe now lookWay too brown now in my opinion, the colours in GEX Europe are not anywhere near realistic.I have tried with UT landclass, scenerytech, Xclass and also Myworld landclasses and still feel that the textures are wrong in this area.Further south things improve somewhat but the world still looks like it is covered in carpet tiles.Loved GE Pro for FS9 but I have uninstalled GEX europe now and am back to using the default sets + Matt Mills textures
---------------------------------------------France looked really good, along the coast....but this product is nowhere as detailed as FTX offerings for specific regions, but for what it does...is hand's down better than world-wide stock FSX scenery. My P.O. of course, :)

...but this product is nowhere as detailed as FTX offerings for specific regions,...
Comparing GEX Europe with FTX isn't fair. GEX Europe covers a very big area compared to any single FTX NA area. What would a single FTX area cost if it covered from US NW (Washinghton) and all the west coast states down to and including Mexico? :( IMO GEX Europe does a very good job in the southern parts of Europe. I mostly fly in the Scandinavian countries and here GEX E doesn't shine. The SWED2011 project looks very promising though.:(

For my taste, textures until v.1.02 were much to green especially in winter or autumn.I don't have installed V.2. I'll wait for the Mideast-Africa Edition, because I do not want to setup new continent textures while performing transatlantic flights, so I can't judge the new textures.But I have to agree with mad dog in one case, GE pro in FS9 is looking much better. Some grassland textures in GEX look like someone has treated them with a big rake. :(

I'll wait for the Mideast-Africa Edition
will it be GEX Africa? if yes, thats great

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

For my taste, textures until v.1.02 were much to green especially in winter or autumn.I don't have installed V.2. I'll wait for the Mideast-Africa Edition, because I do not want to setup new continent textures while performing transatlantic flights, so I can't judge the new textures.But I have to agree with mad dog in one case, GE pro in FS9 is looking much better. Some grassland textures in GEX look like someone has treated them with a big rake. :(
I have to agree. I should have read the instructions about the mismatching textures. I would have never installed the update. I have not done a flight in Europe yet to try out the new textures so I cant comment on the new textures. I have no interest in flying in Africa or the middle east especially if there is no landclass like UT to make it look more realistic. I would also need some high quality airports for that region. I hope I can revert because switching back and forth in the middle of a transatlantic flight is very unrealistic. The conspiracy theory part of me wonders if this isn't a bit of marketing ploy forcing us to buy the new version.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

will it be GEX Africa? if yes, thats great
Yes it will cover the entire continent of Africa.
The conspiracy theory part of me wonders if this isn't a bit of marketing ploy forcing us to buy the new version.
Of course there is something like marketing strategy behind it, Mike. :(

Comparing GEX Europe with FTX isn't fair. GEX Europe covers a very big area compared to any single FTX NA area. What would a single FTX area cost if it covered from US NW (Washinghton) and all the west coast states down to and including Mexico? :( IMO GEX Europe does a very good job in the southern parts of Europe. I mostly fly in the Scandinavian countries and here GEX E doesn't shine. The SWED2011 project looks very promising though.:(
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well, I really don't think I was comparing as to it being deficit in regards to any FTX offering. I was saying that for what it does, it certainly is better than not having it in areas that FTX does not service to date. As for having to switch to either Europe or North America to have correct tiles in the area you are flying over....well I read that, but was not too concerned in that even if I flew from my 'default' North America to anywhere in Europe, I wouldn't be so upset if a few tiles were of North America as per more square fields, etc. if flying at altitude. If I am flying VFR in General Aviation and at around 3,500-5,500 ft , I would be above one continent or the other, so again, I would merely switch out before I flew. I do like this latest version compared to what I had and will keep it. I also read that you have to buy the Middle East or whatever to have the uh...er. North America/Europe GEX texture.blend work again, and thought that was ' forced-incentive marketing' as well. I do appreciate the update and the work that went into it.Cheers,

Guest nzch2010
Yes it will cover the entire continent of Africa.Of course there is something like marketing strategy behind it, Mike. :(
Hi MikeHave you read NickN's comments regarding GEX for africa and middle east ? After that is relaesed they are doing Asia and New Zealand. I suppose at the end of the day it is user choice, FSX default textures versus GEX.I know which one I would choose. I believe Orbix are doing New Zealand as well, so nothing like a bit of healthy competition. <_<CheersJulian

Hi MikeHave you read NickN's comments regarding GEX for africa and middle east ? After that is relaesed they are doing Asia and New Zealand. I suppose at the end of the day it is user choice, FSX default textures versus GEX.I know which one I would choose. I believe Orbix are doing New Zealand as well, so nothing like a bit of healthy competition. <_<CheersJulian
There is no competition as far as I am concerned. If I have to choose, it is hands down going to be ORBX. However, I am not saying that GEX is an inferior product. I think it does different things. It also covers a much larger area for a more reasonable price than ORBX. I like both products and have both products. Maybe this is part of the marketing to keep up with ORBX. I know that with ORBX you have to switch between NA and Australia. What I did like was that I could fly from NA, say like Seattle to Europe and not have to switch. It may not be realistic in the future to do that for all the products. When ORBX does Southern California I am not looking forward to departing LAX stopping the sim mid flight and loading the AU region and reloading. I wish something could be done to prevent this. I know that in the past I have left the sceneries without switching them and they seemed OK. I don't believe ORBX has said anything about mismatched textures in each region. Anyways, GEX is the product that along with UTX, transformed FSX so that it was flyable. It deserves credit for being FSX innovators.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

...[snip]Loved GE Pro for FS9 but I have uninstalled GEX europe now and am back to using the default sets + Matt Mills textures
..Do you have a link to m. mills' textures ?thanks Vic

..Do you have a link to m. mills' textures ?thanks Vic
HelloYou will find them over at flightsim.com search for "Matt Mills"