Sign in to follow this  
sunbeam

Spanning view over 3 monitors - advice needed

I am new here having just got FSX and having a couple of questions so will start separate threads for each one which I hope is OK.I have 3 x 22” monitors, Dell 2209WA that run at 1680 x 1050. The max resolution I can get with each one under settings is 1680 x 1050. I would like to be able to span a single cockpit view over the 3 monitors. I know I can have separate views and drag them over to another monitor but this is not what I want. Is there any way to do this, I won’t be upgrading to Win 7 so cannot use Eyefinity. Are there any 3rd party solutions to this besides the Matrox TH2GO - it is a lot of money and I believe limited in the resolutions it can doMy system is Asrock 880GM-LE motherboard with inbuilt ATI 4250 graphics, a Radeon 5670 512Mb graphics card, Phenom XII 965 4 core CPU, 4Gb ram (but only 3.3 seen by the OS) and a Seagate 1Tb Barracuda HDD and running XP Pro SP2Thanks

If your OS is XP, then yes you should be able to do it through your Vid Card's driver, at least for Nvidia you can. Vista or above, can't do it without third party software. If I'm incorrect in this someone please let me know, because I've been trying to do this in Windows 7 natively.

A piece of hardware called Triple Head 2 Go is what you need. It is about the size of a double deck of cards and with software serves as a monitor splitter. I have an early analog version to help drive 3 1280 x 1024 monitors. I am a 25 year FS user and a real life 15000 hour total time/8000 hour corporate jet driver and the addition of 2 more monitors adds alot to the flt sim experience. By the way, my day job now is to intruct in the Lear 45 simulator in real life. It is a $7,000,000+ full motion, 180 degree visual full motion electric simulator. I think TH2G has digital versions of what I have now that power wide screen monitors which would be even grander!

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

A piece of hardware called Triple Head 2 Go is what you need. It is about the size of a double deck of cards and with software serves as a monitor splitter. I have an early analog version to help drive 3 1280 x 1024 monitors. I am a 25 year FS user and a real life 15000 hour total time/8000 hour corporate jet driver and the addition of 2 more monitors adds alot to the flt sim experience. By the way, my day job now is to intruct in the Lear 45 simulator in real life. It is a $7,000,000+ full motion, 180 degree visual full motion electric simulator. I think TH2G has digital versions of what I have now that power wide screen monitors which would be even grander!
I looked into the TH2GO but at this stage having just built the system did not want to spend more. One option would be to run Win 7 as a dual boot and then get an Eyefinity setup. But I was really hoping that I could configure the side views to "line up" IE at least have the horizon the same in all views. I do not have your wealth of experience but do have several hundred hours in sailplanes with a fair proportion as instructor and really want to simulate the experience on FSX - hence the 3 monitors.

Just extend your windows desktop over three monitors, see your display settings.Will work only in windowed mode tough..

I found the best solution for me was an Eyefinity setup. Since you have all three monitors running at the same resolution this would work perfect for you.Just stretch the window across all three screens, and once in virtual cockpit, "zoom out" until it looks good to you. This link has an excellent and simple program for using a custom FOV as well: http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=59

i am using the TH2go myself and i have not had any issues using it on Vista or Windows 7, and i use it for so many other applications besides FSX so it works out great for me. plus if i need to , i can always unplug it and take it on the road when i have business and need to have a lot of screen real estate.