Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

Compromises

What we want, need and get are completely different things. Many have chipped in on these forums to tell us and Microsoft what they'd like to see improved in Flight over FSX. But realistically, Flight won't sell good enough for MIcrosoft to invest too much money in its development. Compromises will be made. The good and bad with the current sim (FSX) is that it is so many things to so many different people. It's a simulator, game, screenshot and video maker tool, virtual travel tool, aeronautical and architectural design showcase etc. But what compromises would you be willing to make to get the best flight sim for YOUR needs?I'd live with the following compromises:1) Remove all four seasons and do just summer and winter instead. Rather have two accurate and realistic texture and autogen sets than four bad ones. 2) Include less defualt aircraft and increase the fidelity and quality of those included. 3) The generic ATC is unrealistic. Devleop great missions/career modes instead.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I guess if i had to compromise on one thing it would be better ATC. As much as I would love to have it, there are still other more important things that I would like to have right off the bat so there is my vote.

other things not atc. Ability to request weather report from towered airport without atis/asos.Options of atis in full metric.visibility in meters etc. I think some are doable. They should put atc in the Sdk.other things not atc. Ability to request weather report from towered airport without atis/asos.Options of atis in full metric.visibility in meters etc. I think some are doable. They should put atc in the Sdk.

What we want, need and get are completely different things. Many have chipped in on these forums to tell us and Microsoft what they'd like to see improved in Flight over FSX. But realistically, Flight won't sell good enough for MIcrosoft to invest too much money in its development. Compromises will be made. The good and bad with the current sim (FSX) is that it is so many things to so many different people. It's a simulator, game, screenshot and video maker tool, virtual travel tool, aeronautical and architectural design showcase etc. But what compromises would you be willing to make to get the best flight sim for YOUR needs?I'd live with the following compromises:1) Remove all four seasons and do just summer and winter instead. Rather have two accurate and realistic texture and autogen sets than four bad ones. 2) Include less defualt aircraft and increase the fidelity and quality of those included. 3) The generic ATC is unrealistic. Devleop great missions/career modes instead.
1) Not acceptable IMO2) You want less default aircraft when there will be little or no backwards compatability with Flight?3) You want to remove ATC??

2) You want less default aircraft when there will be little or no backwards compatability with Flight?3) You want to remove ATC??
2) YES, and3) YES. Current ATC is just an annoyance.

1) Not acceptable IMO2) You want less default aircraft when there will be little or no backwards compatability with Flight?3) You want to remove ATC??
I agree with you. These are three features which Microsoft should definitely not remove or reduce.Regards, Mike Mann

Remove ATC and replace with what for free flight? You will get surely get tired of missions. I believe they could make ATC more interesting and more interesting like "expedite out of runway due traffic on short final" and ATC should penalize you for sloppy flying. They should make ATC a bit more challenging and less predictable. just my 2cents

I'm not saying this is what I want. I'm just saying that realistically compromises will be made, wether we like it or not. I'd rather have a sim that is very good in some areas, than today's jack of all trades and master of none simulator. ATC in free flight? Make it real or cut it out. Fly online through VATSIM if you want real ATC. Missions? By using the mission format custom ATC can be programmed for each mission to make it more realistic. A mission can simply be a realistic flight from A to B.

ATC in free flight? Make it real or cut it out. Fly online through VATSIM if you want real ATC.
Why this black/white view? While I would love to have a more realistic ATC I'd rather have the current ATC than none at all. Not everyone is able or willing to fly online.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

I'm not saying this is what I want. I'm just saying that realistically compromises will be made, wether we like it or not. I'd rather have a sim that is very good in some areas, than today's jack of all trades and master of none simulator. ATC in free flight? Make it real or cut it out. Fly online through VATSIM if you want real ATC. Missions? By using the mission format custom ATC can be programmed for each mission to make it more realistic. A mission can simply be a realistic flight from A to B.
HelloBut what happens when you want to fly from C to D and there is no mission for that flight.Missions are great if you lack imagination and need all your scenarios made up for you.Xplane lacks decent ATC and Ai and that holds the Sim back in my opinion, It would be a great mistake to cut out ATC from Flight!

ATC in free flight? Make it real or cut it out. Fly online through VATSIM if you want real ATC.
I would do this how? My FSX computer is not hooked up to the internet. Actually they could deep six the missions, with all their special mission objects, and put the time and effort into more realistic autogen.Regards, Mike Mann

Different strokes for different folks. I'd have realistic ATC or none at all. The current ATC is just stupid. I'm a Black/White kind of guy, that's all. I prefer quality over quantity most of the time.Again, I'm not askin what you want, but where you'd be willing to compromise if something had to be left out to make something else better.

Different strokes for different folks. I'd have realistic ATC or none at all. The current ATC is just stupid. I'm a Black/White kind of guy, that's all. I prefer quality over quantity most of the time.Again, I'm not askin what you want, but where you'd be willing to compromise if something had to be left out to make something else better.
No doubt the developers need to make compromises, and sometimes it's better to leave something out rather than including unfinished stuff. On the other hand, if they only include what's perfect the sim will be rather barren. Can't make the perfect flight model, lets not include one at all. Help function isn't complete, lets remove it altogether. Mesh is rather crude, let's have only a flat earth then... I could go on and on off course.A simulation is only an approximation of the real world. I would like to have perfect ATC, but if that is not possible I'd rather have it as real as it's possible.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

HelloBut what happens when you want to fly from C to D and there is no mission for that flight.Missions are great if you lack imagination and need all your scenarios made up for you.Xplane lacks decent ATC and Ai and that holds the Sim back in my opinion, It would be a great mistake to cut out ATC from Flight!
Back before FS had built-in ATC, there were things we used to use called "Adventures". Many of the flight planners back in those days had a feature to export your flight plan to an adventure, and some even included multi-legging it. It worked pretty good for what it was. I could easily see myself using an updated, more robust version of that feature for a modern Flight Sim.BTW, that quip about missions is pretty disingenuous. It's great that you have a different opinion than others, but you don't have to imply your superiority over others just because your opinion differs.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

1. Get rid of ATC. I fly VATSIM and never use it.2. Get rid of most of the default aircraft. Not very realistic and never use them.3. Light Bloom effect. Horrible performance hit. Get rid of it.

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.