Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Another PMDG VHHX Question

I know this comes up again & again, but I can't understand what bit I've got wrong here.If someone could please tell me which data to edit in order for the VHHX runway and extended r/w line to run at 136 instead of 088, I'd be very grateful.Many thanks=========================================================================Add to wpNavAPT.txt (NavData folder)HONG KONG KAI TAK VHHX31 10930316 22.305500 114.214500109.9031600015HONG KONG KAI TAK VHHX13 10930136 22.321667 114.196667111.9013600015=========================================================================Add to wpNavAID.txt (NavData folder)IGS LLZ/DME RWY 13 KL ILSD 22.003299 114.104167111.90TLLZ/DME RWY 31 IIHK ILSD 22.324500 114.193667109.90TCH36X GP NDB 22.326667 114.191333333.00NHONG KONG INTL RW NDB 22.326667 114.191333337.00NIGS RWY 13 GP NDB 22.326833 114.092500331.00N==========================================================================Add to airports.dat (NavData folder)VHHX 22.316959 114.202621

Because 088 is the course of the igs approach of runway 13 there is no straight line into it when you fly the approach you come from the west and follow the checkerboard lights on the ground in order to line up with the runway below you see 2 example video's how the approach is done

Thanks for the vids - appreciated.However, I guess I didn't make clear what I'm after...I know it's possible to edit the PMDG navdata in such a way that the runway & ext runway line, show up in the PMDG FMC correctly at 136deg instead of it lining up with the 088deg ILS beam.I know that because I had it setup at one time. I just don't recall how it was done.There's a large volume of posts rearding this, some of which have slightly different data sets.

This probably means whoever created the file has the lat/lon locations of the runway endpoints wrong. If you can find the actual lat/lon for the ends you can probably fix this. I'm pretty sure that extended centerline (and the runway icon itself) is based on the runway's position, not on anything having to do with the navaids like the IGS.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ahh ok i see what you mean nowhere is a link to the file you actually need i've downloaded it from avsim it is for FS9 actually but it can also be used by fsxhttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/17906392/vhhx.zipRead the readme carefully and it should solve the problem for you

<<HONG KONG KAI TAK VHHX13 10930136 22.321667 114.196667111.9013600015>>The runway bearing above is 136 (in this data block: 10930136 where the length is 10,930 ft.)The localizer course above is also 136 (see 111.9013600015 where frequency is 110.90 and course 136. I think the 15 is elevation?)

Dan Downs KCRP

<<HONG KONG KAI TAK VHHX13 10930136 22.321667 114.196667111.9013600015>>The runway bearing above is 136 (in this data block: 10930136 where the length is 10,930 ft.)The localizer course above is also 136 (see 111.9013600015 where frequency is 110.90 and course 136. I think the 15 is elevation?)
I think Dan just found the Holy Grail. Now we can edit the frequencies in the Queen to match FSX (Although I can edit my airports, others will really benifit from this).

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

That is indeed VERY usefull info - Thanks. BUT, if so, then why is the runway aligned to 088 and not 136? (as per pic)Thanks

That is indeed VERY usefull info - Thanks. BUT, if so, then why is the runway aligned to 088 and not 136? (as per pic)Thanks
Hi there a file at this link http://www.austscene.com/ that contains a tool to automatically put Kai Tak data into your FMS for both PMDG and LevelD, its a useful tool to have when you keep updating your navdata as saves you from having to keep messing about manually with txt files putting it back in each time you update.I cant remember now however how it presents the runway on the map - im presently on a round the world trip and in Japan at present so will hope down there next and let you know!Regards

Hi there a file at this link http://www.austscene.com/ that contains a tool to automatically put Kai Tak data into your FMS for both PMDG and LevelD, its a useful tool to have when you keep updating your navdata as saves you from having to keep messing about manually with txt files putting it back in each time you update.I cant remember now however how it presents the runway on the map - im presently on a round the world trip and in Japan at present so will hope down there next and let you know!Regards
Hello JamesThanks for that link - most usfull. Will certainly save a great deal of time in the future. About time someone produced such a thing.Sadly, it still doesn't allow for the 088 runway display on the FMC. It does appear to have very slightly different data to the manual versions though.Regards

I think the problem is that the data only allows for one entry per runway. This means that the course shown is not the Localizer for the runway, but the heading of the runway centerline, and any IAPs that follow. So when instrument approaches are conducted, they follow the centerline of the runway, as created in the data. So it is either the centerline will be aligned at 136, or it is properly aligned at 088.

Eric Vander

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Sorry I am at bit confused, do you want the white extended centreline to come out from the runway as in 136 or to come out from what essentially would be the checkerboard on 088? I just flew into there in the level D 767 and it shows the runway centre line mark coming out of the actual runway 136 - with the magenta lines leading down the IGS approach of 088?The utilitiy I linked to is specifically for the Fly tampa addtion of Kai Tak - it does two parts I think ensuring all the needed bits are in place to make a perfect IGS into there - was a strong cross wind yesterday when I did it which made it interseting. In my opinion it still as to be the best approach to fly in FS not only for the challenge of it but also for the totaly amazing scenery that is so detailed yet runs still so smooth whatever the weather i have.Regards

Sorry I am at bit confused, do you want the white extended centreline to come out from the runway as in 136 or to come out from what essentially would be the checkerboard on 088? I just flew into there in the level D 767 and it shows the runway centre line mark coming out of the actual runway 136 - with the magenta lines leading down the IGS approach of 088?The utilitiy I linked to is specifically for the Fly tampa addtion of Kai Tak - it does two parts I think ensuring all the needed bits are in place to make a perfect IGS into there - was a strong cross wind yesterday when I did it which made it interseting. In my opinion it still as to be the best approach to fly in FS not only for the challenge of it but also for the totaly amazing scenery that is so detailed yet runs still so smooth whatever the weather i have.Regards
Hi jamesYes, I'm trying to get the runway and extended line to show it's correct 136 direction.I do have the FlyTampa Kai Tak (and love it!), but as you can see from the pic in my 1st post, in the PMDG 744 ND, the runway is actually aligned with the ILS beam of 088 instead of the correct 136.It's been said the ILS and R/W must be the same, but in the past I've had it set correctly.

It's been said the ILS and R/W must be the same, but in the past I've had it set correctly.
I'm still only thinking here, but I don't think thats how it works. The runway centerline and runway must be aligned. The ILS, however, is up to FSX. Download an AFCAD editor like FSXPlanner. Then add a psuedo runway by the checkerboard. It doesn't have to be anything special, just a 2-ft strip. Then you can add an ILS beam to that runway. Then set the IAP frequency on the 747 data to the new ILS. Then create (if it isn't already) at least one fix as a reference point to where you can intercept the localizer. Be sure there is an IAP procedure for the ILS to that runway, otherwise the FMC won't load the frequency automatically.

Eric Vander

My 747 Fuel Calculator

I'm still only thinking here, but I don't think thats how it works. The runway centerline and runway must be aligned. The ILS, however, is up to FSX. Download an AFCAD editor like FSXPlanner. Then add a psuedo runway by the checkerboard. It doesn't have to be anything special, just a 2-ft strip. Then you can add an ILS beam to that runway. Then set the IAP frequency on the 747 data to the new ILS. Then create (if it isn't already) at least one fix as a reference point to where you can intercept the localizer. Be sure there is an IAP procedure for the ILS to that runway, otherwise the FMC won't load the frequency automatically.
Sounds beatifully simple, but alas, waaaay beyond my primitive skills at such things :(