Sign in to follow this  
Guest 747dash8

Rebuilding my PC

Guest 747dash8

Ok, how does this sound:Motherboard: Asus P8P67-Pro-VCPU: Intel i7 2600kCase: Corsair 600TRAM: Corsair C8 Vegenance 8gb (4gb x 2)Power Supply: Corsair Professional AX850CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H70SSD Hard Drive: Kingston 128GBHard Drive: Western Digital 1TB DVD Drive: Asus SATA LightscribeVideo Card: EVGA 1280mb GTX570/ Asus 1280mb GTX570Total Cost: Around $2132.00 AUDSource: http://www.cpl.net.au/pdf/page1.pdfAny disagreements let me know.

Guest 747dash8

Just want to know (I know I have said that a lot) if I would be able to get away with Windows 7 Home Premium x64 or are there so many advantages with Ultimate x64 that it just would not be funny and weather my choice of DVD drive is a good one. Don't bother recommending a Blu-Ray because I won't use it.Thanks

Try these people: http://www.msy.com.au/ They normally have better prices than most computer stores.Cheers,Nick Jones
Hah,, just realised you joined only 1 day before me!LOL.gifAnd Mr. Dazz guy joined on my birthday! Enough of this back to business.Shame%20On%20You.gif

I know the i7-2600k is the coolest kid in school, but for FSX, is it actually any better then the i5-2500k?

I know the i7-2600k is the coolest kid in school, but for FSX, is it actually any better then the i5-2500k?
If all you run is FSX, I don't think it makes any difference since it can't take advantage of hyper-threading. Perhaps Tabs will have time to chime in, he's more knowledgable on the technical side.

If all you run is FSX, I don't think it makes any difference since it can't take advantage of hyper-threading. Perhaps Tabs will have time to chime in, he's more knowledgable on the technical side.
This is basically accurate. I said this above.

This is basically accurate. I said this above.
Or this guy Big%20Grin.gifI went back to pg 1 & saw your post, missed it earlier...

Regarading SSDs, I have two now: one for Windows and one for FSX. (The latter was free, so I decided to use it on FSX.) The boot-up speed in W7 with an SSD is insanely fast. You know how sometimes you do something to your build and it gets marginally faster/quieter/brighter/clearer/whatever? This is one of the few changes where I went "Whoa!" I haven't noticed a screaming change in FSX, though, although I'll admit to being a guy who isn't obsessed with frames. If it doesn't stutter, I don't really care if its 20 or 60, so if it went up a few ticks, I didn't notice.

Or this guy Big%20Grin.gifI went back to pg 1 & saw your post, missed it earlier...
No worries! I didn't mean that in a bad way. Sorry if it came as such. =)

No worries! I didn't mean that in a bad way. Sorry if it came as such. =)
Oh I wasn't sweating it. biggrin.gif

Regarading SSDs, I have two now: one for Windows and one for FSX. (The latter was free, so I decided to use it on FSX.) The boot-up speed in W7 with an SSD is insanely fast. You know how sometimes you do something to your build and it gets marginally faster/quieter/brighter/clearer/whatever? This is one of the few changes where I went "Whoa!" I haven't noticed a screaming change in FSX, though, although I'll admit to being a guy who isn't obsessed with frames. If it doesn't stutter, I don't really care if its 20 or 60, so if it went up a few ticks, I didn't notice.
SSD's don't do much for framerates. What you've experienced are two the major advantages. Faster loading/startup times & reduced stuttering because the textures load faster.

Guest 747dash8
It is just that I want to prepare for any new sims or high-end games.
Would I be able to have Windows on the standard Hard Drive and just save the SSD for FSX only

You can ... but why?!Having the OS on an SSD is awsome!

Guest 747dash8
You can ... but why?!Having the OS on an SSD is awsome!
I just don't want to clog it up. I can sacrifice time on load for FPS. Hang on, I want to see what everyone else thinks.

I just don't want to clog it up. I can sacrifice time on load for FPS. Hang on, I want to see what everyone else thinks.
A 128GB SSD is the bare minimum for Win7 & FSX. You'll need to install all other applications on a separate hard drive if you run or plan on running any addons.I used a 128GB SSD in my last PC. With Win7x64, FSX, FSC, UTX, GEX, REX2, FSInn, FSGenesis, 5 airports from FSDT & PMDG's 744 I had around 40GB free on the drive.My current PC uses a 300GB velociraptor, which seems to be nearly as fast as the SSD did & costs a good deal less.