Sign in to follow this  
PhilArkwright

FMC J41 Problem

Just brought the J41.It installed fine and everything but I can't seem to get the GPS to lock onto a VOR, I read another post which was posted a few days ago, of a similar guy having the same problem. The problem is that even when I have selected the VOR in the FMC, the GPS doesn't respond to it and so I can't activate the NAV button. I have added a photo file for further information.When I oped the GPS on first start up its stuck on 3203nm if I start up at EGCC (Manchester UK), Everytime. I have reinstalled it 3 times now and still no luckAny help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you trying to navigate to a waypoint using the GPS or FMC? To navigate to a waypoint (or more specifically a VOR in your case) after you are airborne you would need to use the direct to function and select the first waypoint in your flightplan. Its the button below "NXT" to the left of the screen on the FMC. After you do this your NAV function on the AP should work. I hope this helps.

Chuck Biggins

The J41 already has a moving map on the ND.Why do you still need the default GPS?

My suggest you can take off than active NAV on MCP.You will see EGCC -> TK054 on GPS500.

Thanks fjssharry, FIxed the problem sort off. There is some wierd lag time, It takes 30 seconds after takeoff for the GPS500 to respond to the change.

Why are you using the GPS500? It has no place in the J-41. Look all around the VC, you're not going to find it. You're better off using the FMC anyway. It's much easier to use if you take the 5 minutes to learn it. There's even a quick FMC guide on AVSIM if you don't want to use the full tutorial.

Kyle Rodgers

I thinking GPS500 is second way to make sure where am i now,of course not so reality.EHSI only have simple function,even change number of segments range is really less!!.

I don't think anyone acutally understands me. I'm not using the GPS, I'm just using it to confirm what I had enterned into the FMC. As the FMC and GPS are connected anything I typed into the FMC was directed into the GPS, So untill the GPS recognised what I had put in the FMC I couldn't activate NAV. . . .But it works now, there is just a small time delay

I don't think anyone acutally understands me. I'm not using the GPS, I'm just using it to confirm what I had enterned into the FMC. As the FMC and GPS are connected anything I typed into the FMC was directed into the GPS, So untill the GPS recognised what I had put in the FMC I couldn't activate NAV. . . .But it works now, there is just a small time delay
Phil,I have never used the GPS while flying the J41 and I can push the NAV button with no problems.Your ND has a moving map that shows you the waypoints put into the FMS. You don't have to double check anything with the GPS. The J41 doesn't use it or need it.

To make a more clear point, since the FMS does not need the gps, it doesn't use it at all. It generates its own map based on the FMS. The GPS will only show a magenta line if a flight plan is created in FSX for FSX or the Direct To button is used on the GPS. The two systems are completely independent.