Sign in to follow this  
Airbus Commander

The world may not have ended but...

110521_2205.pngAll the major earthquakes in that region took place at around 6:00PM (1800) GMT... kinda spooky. :(

BIRD is the ICAO identifier for the airport beside the volcano not one of our feathered friends...
Thank you ^^

Manhattan is a mess today.... and my kids vanished...
A friend of mine on fb posted last night: "Wha.. where am I?! What is that angelic music I can hear? Hey, the internet connection here is AWESOME"I lol'ed.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I don't believe, and proud of it!BTW... for the believers, I'm still here... ;) Proof (any) God doesn't exist:* pi (as yet pi has no repeating pattern of digits within it anywhere)* e* the ratio of men to women is approximately 1:1. :( Best regards,Robin.

Im a bit confused with the world ending prediction. Was it 6:30PM California Time, or 6:30PM depending on where you live? If so, its May 22nd here in AUS, and is 6:30PM in California in 4 or so hours....
Its 6 o'clock local time. So the world would not be destroyed all at once, oh no, much too much work. It would have been done in evenly split sections.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

I don't believe, and proud of it!BTW... for the believers, I'm still here... ;) Proof (any) God doesn't exist:* pi (as yet pi has no repeating pattern of digits within it anywhere)* e* the ratio of men to women is approximately 1:1. :( Best regards,Robin.
RobinThis is a very inapropriate post in a forum like this.

Does anyone actually know what they decided is the right action to do in the future, if an eruption like last year's Eyjafjallajökull occurs? I remember reading somewhere that on many of those days the planes were grounded, they could've actually been flying, and if the same happened today, it wouldn't be as bad for the air traffic?

I'm pretty sure that findings said that it was entirely justified to ground all air traffic, at least for the first few days, but that they could have opened the airspace again a bit sooner than what they did. As for Grimsvotn, they are not expecting it to produce as much ash and dust as Eyjafjallajökull. I think Eyjafjallajökull was unique in that there was a glacier on top of it that melted, pouring water into the crater which in turn generated a whole lot of ash. The conditions are apparently different at Grimsvotn

Does anyone actually know what they decided is the right action to do in the future, if an eruption like last year's Eyjafjallajökull occurs? I remember reading something that on many of those days the planes were grounded, they could've actually been flying, and if the same happened today, it wouldn't be as bad for the air traffic?
Antti,I work for the air navigation service provider here in New Zealand and we recently had a guest speaker from Eurocontrol who was involved in the restoration of European airspace post-Eyjafjallajökull. Suffice to say they recognise the ways in which things could have been done better, and they have a very comprehensive plan in place for whenever the eventuality arises next.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Mark,Thanks for letting me know that. Last year's grounding of air traffic was something not seen before in the whole world due to volcanic ash, so I thought something could have been done better. On the other hand if you're not sure, it is of course never a good idea to try your luck, but rather be safe than sorry. So it's understandable they did what they did until they found out more facts about it.I wonder if the engine manufacturers are actually finding ways to make the engines less vulnerable to such air particles.

RobinThis is a very inapropriate post in a forum like this.
Actually it definitely isn't.First of all, everyone's entitled to their opinion. So that's that. You can believe in anything you want, even Santa Claus. But you can't say that someone who doesn't believe and says so is doing something inappropriate.Secondly, this post refers to a religious prediction. So religion is pretty much on-topic here.Now I know about 88% of the American people are religious, so this might sound a bit harsh. But remember that in western Europe, religious practice and belief numbers often go below 20% of the population. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion on the matter. "Je ne suis pas d'accord avec ce que vous dites, mais je me battrai jusqu'au bout pour que vous puissiez le dire." - Voltaire (You can easily translate that).

Actually it definitely isn't.First of all, everyone's entitled to their opinion. So that's that. You can believe in anything you want, even Santa Claus. But you can't say that someone who doesn't believe and says so is doing something inappropriate.Secondly, this post refers to a religious prediction. So religion is pretty much on-topic here.Now I know about 88% of the American people are religious, so this might sound a bit harsh. But remember that in western Europe, religious practice and belief numbers often go below 20% of the population. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion on the matter. "Je ne suis pas d'accord avec ce que vous dites, mais je me battrai jusqu'au bout pour que vous puissiez le dire." - Voltaire (You can easily translate that).
Urm, this is about an ash cloud, not religion, that's just a coincidence....

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion on the matter. "Je ne suis pas d'accord avec ce que vous dites, mais je me battrai jusqu'au bout pour que vous puissiez le dire." - Voltaire (You can easily translate that).
+1

This is not the same volcano as last year. This one, Grímsvötn, is about 150km, east of Eyjafjallajökull.And this one is also under a glacier. Glacier Vatnajökull.Jökull = GlacierIcelandic ------ EnglishGolli

Maybe slightly off topic, but how do you pronounce 'Eyjafjallajökull'? Everyone just called it the "Icelandic Volcano,"but I'm assuming there's a proper way to pronounce it. Something along the lines of: eh-ya-fya-lah-juh-kuhl?