Sign in to follow this  
ajpongress

The Ultimate Add-On Realism Thread

Something I always catch myself doing is looking at what other add-ons pilots use to enhance their immersion and realism when they're simming.But usually it's in each add-on's forum, so I thought it might be beneficial for people here to see comprehensive and complete lists from various pilots on what they use to make the most out of getting "as real as it gets." (according to Microsoft)I'm an immersion junkie, so I only go for what's real and I only do things in a sim that have a consequence. If it's just there for eye candy (i.e. windshield wipers) I don't bother using it, otherwise I might as well make sounds with my lips pressed together when I turn on the wipers if it's all pretend.So...here's what I use. And I'll give a brief description as to how it helps my "immersion factor": (I'm not listing payware aircraft or scenery, just 3rd party add-ons to enhance simming experience)TrackIR- I think this is the ultimate add-on for FSX or FS9. It doesn't matter what you fly, where you fly it, or how you fly it, being able to look around your cockpit with head movements is incomparable to using a HAT switch. I think this gave me the greatest increase in my immersion factor when flyingEZdok camera- can be used without TrackIR, but wow does it really enhance head movement in relation to how your aircraft is moving. When you're rolling down the runway it's shaking just like it would in a real plane. As soon as you're wheels up, it's smooth, with the random head movements you get from small and common air turbulence.It's very similar to the head latency that ActiveCamera added for FS9, but it's a lot, lot betterReal Environment Xtreme (REX)- no other addon has given me such crisp, clear textures and night lighting effects. I use REX for textures only, and it has delivered 110% so far. The clouds are fantastically real, it's amazing. Total immersion in puffy white clouds. Water is incredible tooActive Sky Evolution- best weather generation program I've seen to date. It gives me everything I could want to make me think I'm actually flying through a snowstorm or landing in 1/2 mile visibility with light rain, fog, and mist.I love the fact that it can be configured to pull METARS from VATSIM weather to give me a seamless weather experienceFSPassengers- I was debating on this or FSCaptain at first. I eventually got the FSCaptain trial and flew a demo flight. It was nice, but there were things I didn't like about it such as customization options for crew voices and sequencing.I settled for FSPax, downloaded some custom United Airlines voice packs (recorded from real flights including the safety demonstration videos) for my crew, and let it configure my payload so every flight I actually had to do some small paperwork and figure my load sheet, which was a nice change from always using the same payload number over and over until I had it memorized when I programmed the FMC.The other HUGE feature is the random failure generator. I set it on 2%, and I've had everything from a small tire pressure issue to a bird strike and an engine flame out. I love the fact I can set a percentage instead of setting up a random failure and knowing when the failure will occur.Having a random failure generator keeps me on my toes. I actually have to check my instruments, and I have to take precautions for departure like setting the ILS frequency of my departure runway in case I have to make an emergency landing.Without a failure generator, you know every flight will be 100% safe and issue-free, and after a while that gets pretty boring for meFS2Crew- one of my favorite addons because for the first time I can run checklists, flows, and have my virtual co-pilot interact with me and help me setup the plane during various phases of flight.I especially like the pack for the LVLD 767 because it interfaces directly with the SDK, so I can verbally tell my copilot to set altitudes, headings, and speeds in the MCP windows.Just about every button that can be pushed in that cockpit, I can tell my co-pilot to push it. Also came with an integrated pushback utility that's all verbally interactiveFSBuild- my favorite planner, and I've used a few. From a person who started off with FSNavigator, FSBuild was a huge step up in flight path and fuel planning.My favorite feature of FSBuild is that it exports to just about every other add-on I have. It goes to ActiveSky, FSINN, the default FSX planner (useful for some addons) and every payware plane I have.The cool thing about the payware planes is that you bring up the route through the CO ROUTE section, so in a way it simulates a real ACARS system in that you're uploading your flight plan from the dispatch servers. Definitely makes cockpit prep easier without having to type out every waypointTSS Sound Pack- I think Turbine Sound Studios has made some fantastic sound packs for various aircraft. Every payware plane I've ever bought I made sure I had the TSS pack to go with it because the immersion factor is through the roof when it comes to sound. They're that good in my opinionSo, put all that together, and it's about as close to the real thing you can get.I can easily say TrackIR + EZdok together makes the most immersion for me because of all the small head movements you get when flying in a real plane. It really kicked realism up a notch from the normally extra smooth flying you always see in the VC even in severe turbulence.There are other add-ons I've tried and used but these listed above were what I kept coming back to. Great thing is, they all work together flawlessly and they all compliment each other.The only thing left I could do is build a replica sim pit of a 737 NGX. Big%20Grin.gif....I think my gf would kill me if I did that. I've already spent in excess of...actually I don't want to think about that.

FSPassengers- I was debating on this or FSCaptain at first. I eventually got the FSCaptain trial and flew a demo flight. It was nice, but there were things I didn't like about it such as customization options for crew voices and sequencing.I settled for FSPax, downloaded some custom United Airlines voice packs (recorded from real flights including the safety demonstration videos) for my crew, and let it configure my payload so every flight I actually had to do some small paperwork and figure my load sheet, which was a nice change from always using the same payload number over and over until I had it memorized when I programmed the FMC.The other HUGE feature is the random failure generator. I set it on 2%, and I've had everything from a small tire pressure issue to a bird strike and an engine flame out. I love the fact I can set a percentage instead of setting up a random failure and knowing when the failure will occur.Having a random failure generator keeps me on my toes. I actually have to check my instruments, and I have to take precautions for departure like setting the ILS frequency of my departure runway in case I have to make an emergency landing.Without a failure generator, you know every flight will be 100% safe and issue-free, and after a while that gets pretty boring for me
I tried the FSPassengers demo mainly because of the great random failure feature but had nothing but issues using it with the MD-11, I remember trying a bunch of this to no avail so I gave up on it. Seemed like it would have been great.I have made a thread before about random failure options, the options should be much greater in the NGX which I look forward to.

Great thread! Always looking to find add-ons for realism.I'm wondering if anyone can suggest an airport add-on to increase the realism at the gates (i.e. proper gates, loading vehicles etc).. Sometimes gets very boring seeing an empty airport!Thanks!

Contrails Pro is a nice little add-on from flightsimtools.com, it uses a custom model to display contrails on AI traffic and really gives you a sense of not being alone up there in the flight levels. More so if you have good AI traffic.It does have some mild shortcomings but on the whole I'd buy it all over again given the chance. Recommendo!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Great thread! Always looking to find add-ons for realism.I'm wondering if anyone can suggest an airport add-on to increase the realism at the gates (i.e. proper gates, loading vehicles etc).. Sometimes gets very boring seeing an empty airport!Thanks!
Airport Enhancement Services (AES) by Aerosoft would be what you're looking for. But it doesn't work with all airports and you have to "pay" for every single airport you want to have.Have a look at Aerosofts homepage for that.What I use is:EZDok CameraREXAESFS2CrewCumulus X! (For motorglider/glider operations)ORBX ( :( )PMDGs aircrafts

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

All of the above, plus:Flight Keeper (for the ACARS)CS Weather Radar (for a bit of fun)Topcat (for decent fuel planning and weight)EFB (for groovy charts)Radar Contact (for better ATC)FS2 or MCE (for better crew simulation)Air Hauler (for some freight flying immersion when not using FS Passengers)HeliTraffic 2009 (for some nice whirlybird eye candy at airports beyond the various fixed wing traffic add-ons)ISG (for tarting up crap add-ons or improving avionics)CIVA Delco Carousel IV-A Inertial Navigation System (for some groovy old school airline flying fun)FSUIPC payware version (for sorting out crap weather downloading and smoothing it out)Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest Tamadeez

TopCatVroute PremiumREX2ASEPMDG UTX&GEX USAORBX

I also forgot FSRealTime. Does a good job of syncing up sim time to real time.

With FS2Crew, you have to talk "in real" to your co-pilot or I just can talk via a chat window?

With FS2Crew, you have to talk "in real" to your co-pilot or I just can talk via a chat window?
Either, there are voice control and button control versions of most FS2Crew products.Al

Alan Bradbury

Seems I forgot to mention Radar Contact.By the way Steven, in the button control version of FS2Crew you can also assign buttons on your joystick, so that you can make use of FS2Crew without taking the fingers from your joystick.

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Hi Captains. Good thread. My list is pretty short but here it is:TrackIrREX2 Vroute premium Navigraph chartsReg version of fsuipcPlanning to buy ASE and GEX

Guest dlrk

High-quality add-on aircraft(with failure simulation, minimum quality of PMDG or Level D)ASX(Weather is decent)VATSIM(awesome, never fly offline anymore)TOPCAT(Indispensable)CH Yoke/Rudder pedalsI'm not a fan of FS2Crew or FSPax. FS2Crew tries to simulate human interaction, and seems to wind up feeling fake. I tried the FSPax demo and it struck me as stunningly low quality and unrealistic.

Eagerly awaiting this:http://www.pfpx.com
Surely this is your opportunity to go on some forums and repeatedly demand regular news and updates? :LMAO:Al

Alan Bradbury