Sign in to follow this  
mf_blues

This is NOT an FSX vs X-Plane thread.

I fly a Warrior twice a week for school, infact I'm going today (though I might cancel due to thunderstorms), I won't argue with you, but from my personal experience I don't get anywhere near the amount of left turning tendency that the sim exhibits, every now and then you need a little right rudder to stay on centerline or a little harder right rudder to keep the plane coordinated during a power-on stall. Is it possible the high wing design of the 172 increases these factors? I got my PPL in a 152, and have a few hours in a 172 and a 172RG and think that they may be worse than the Warrior.
You'll need the right rudder. I soled in a Warrior, and completed the PPL in an Archer.Years ago, I sat in the backseat of a Warrior, while my daughter took a demo flight. I had warned her, that she'd need right rudder to maintain the centerline...........and she certainly did need it. I always find it to be rather constant, as though I'm pushing up against a small gutter. Certainly not a now and then jab.edit: I'll have to find one of the "King" tapes I have. John King demonstrates take off and climb in a Warrior or Archer. He emphasises the right rudder through takeoff and initial climb.L.Adamson

Jeff,You guys are getting pounded pretty good right now.Brett,Come East a bit more in MI if you ever want/need a passenger. Jeff is planning a trip on Friday in this direction and he is going to pick me up.
gee..and you never took up my offer to fly with me...and now I don't have a plane.
You'll need the right rudder. I soled in a Warrior, and completed the PPL in an Archer.Years ago, I sat in the backseat of a Warrior, while my daughter took a demo flight. I had warned her, that she'd need right rudder to maintain the centerline...........and she certainly did need it. I always find it to be rather constant, as though I'm pushing up against a small gutter. Certainly not a now and then jab.edit: I'll have to find one of the "King" tapes I have. John King demonstrates take off and climb in a Warrior or Archer. He emphasises the right rudder through takeoff and initial climb.L.Adamson
...and then there are the guys like me that just try to keep it on the centerline and don't really think about it ...then have to think about it in the forums!I have to admit the Diamond DA40 I have flown recently has interesting characteristics though-seems fine till about 40 knots and then abruptly pulls sharply to the left-enough to take you off the runway if you are not careful.

gee..and you never took up my offer to fly with me...and now I don't have a plane.
Other summers I just could never find the time to hook up.

Other summers I just could never find the time to hook up.
Understood-have a great flight.

Thanks GuysAmongst all your general chatter to each other there you included some very interesting information.Do any of you guys fly twin props and do they have the same tedancy to pull to one side on the runway or in flight for that matter.This is the sort of info I was looking for, thanks everyone.CheersMartin

Thanks GuysAmongst all your general chatter to each other there you included some very interesting information.Do any of you guys fly twin props and do they have the same tedancy to pull to one side on the runway or in flight for that matter.This is the sort of info I was looking for, thanks everyone.CheersMartin
The twin I flew was counter rotating --- which cancelled it out. Geof A has been flying a twin Baron .........we'll see what he has to say.L.Adamson

I don't see how you start a thread with a comparison of an FSX plane, and X-Plane plane and not expect it to descend to a FSX vs X-Plane thread? Threads like this have inevitably descended into such in the past, this is just dangling the hook!
I'm quite impressed, we're coming up on almost 48 hours into this thread and so far it's still on topic, so I do apologize to the original poster Martin (mf_Blues) for my post above. I based it on past experience this forum has had with threads of this nature, and I was wrong! It's good to see a thread like this remain civil, rather then just descend down to another my sim is better then your sim thread we all seen in the past!Tom

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

IIt's good to see a thread like this remain civil, rather then just descend down to another my sim is better then your sim thread we all seen in the past!
All of us trouble makers are too busy having fun in The Microsoft Flight Forum!!Regards, Mike Mann

Off topic, but somewhat relevant... How to Make a Great C172 for FSX:1. Start with the default C172 (.../FSX/SimObjects/Airplanes/C172).2. Make a backup copy in case you want to go back to the default (not likely).3. Download and install Alexander Metzger's fantastic replacement airfile4. Go to OZx, and download a repaint. Some of my favorites:http://aussiex.org/f...sna-172sp-2008/http://aussiex.org/f...sna-172sp-2009/http://aussiex.org/f...land-aero-club/5. (Optional) If you want something exceptional and are willing to put $30 into it, go to RealityXP, and buy the Flightline T-Gauge set of six primary instruments. The user manual explains step-by-step how to add the gauges to the default C172.This makes a great sightseeing airplane, and it flies realistically. After having made these modifications myself, I like it so much that it gets about the same amount of flight time as my much loved payware models.Ken

Thanks Ken I'll take a look at those.CheersMartin

I'm quite impressed, we're coming up on almost 48 hours into this thread and so far it's still on topic, so I do apologize to the original poster Martin (mf_Blues) for my post above. I based it on past experience this forum has had with threads of this nature, and I was wrong! It's good to see a thread like this remain civil, rather then just descend down to another my sim is better then your sim thread we all seen in the past!Tom
Cheers TomI hope it keeps being constructive as I love the info from real pilots, I may even go for some lessons again as it's been a long time and you can't beat the real thing now can ya.:(

Guest bstolle
Do any of you guys fly twin props and do they have the same tedancy to pull to one side on the runway or in flight for that matter.This is the sort of info I was looking for, thanks everyone.CheersMartin
Depends a lot on the plane.Geof and other state that the Baron has only very little pull during take off while Ken says that the 310 is the other extreme and pulling a lot to the left.In fact I had to tone down the pull on the Milviz 310 as it was almost impossible to keep her straight with an average joystick/rudder setupUnfortunately wheel traction is a definite weak point on both sims, x-plane and FSX.

I have some time in a 310.. you can use the throttles like rudder-pedals, if needed.. when applying takeoff power, just have your grip adjusted to have the left throttle a bit ahead of the right throttle, and them "wrench" as needed .. With no wind though, that's rarely necessary.. and it all kinda happens (like rudder use) without conscious effort.

I have some time in a 310.. you can use the throttles like rudder-pedals, if needed.. when applying takeoff power, just have your grip adjusted to have the left throttle a bit ahead of the right throttle, and them "wrench" as needed .. With no wind though, that's rarely necessary.. and it all kinda happens (like rudder use) without conscious effort.
You mean the "flying brick"?I have a few too-didn't understand the brick thing till my first landing....I never really noticed much effect in the Baron-but I am a without conscious effort kinda guy.Having trained in a Dutchess with counter rotating props my impressions transitioning to a Baron was the Baron was more benign than the Dutchess-even though it doesn't have counter rotating props...

You mean the "flying brick"?I have a few too-didn't understand the brick thing till my first landing....I never really noticed much effect in the Baron-but I am a without conscious effort kinda guy.Having trained in a Dutchess with counter rotating props my impressions transitioning to a Baron was the Baron was more benign than the Dutchess-even though it doesn't have counter rotating props...
Maybe the 'Brick" thing is about it's "all or nothing" lift ? I was told that unless you're very current in a 310, with many hours in it; you should avoid steep-approach, short-field landings... 'cause there's an abrupt point where it goes past a stall, right into a non-flying hunk of metal.. and your margin for error goes away on the steep approach.. ? I'm sure that's an exageration, but you know how airframe stigmas go..lolI don't have a lot of Baron time, but like it's singel-engine cousin, Beech's fly like there were no compromises allowed when designing them.