Will it mess up my FSX install at all? Does anyone know if there is a way to flash the BIOS from Windows?

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest jahman

ASUS MB BIOS has been flashable from inside Windows for a decade now.Look for the "ASUS Update" utility that installs from the CD-ROM that comes with your MB (or download and install the latest version from the Asus web site.)Cheers,- jahman.

Will it mess up my FSX install at all? Does anyone know if there is a way to flash the BIOS from Windows?
Hi Jeff. Bios updates are very specific to manufacturer and model. I would highly suggest you check out the Asus forums and search for the model and bios update revision. If you want to find out the good/bad and ugly about a specific BIOS revision, hit the manufacturer forums.

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

Ok, thanks guys, so have any of you updated recently, if so, did it mess with FSX at all? FSX is very touchy, you have to do everything just right, or you get CTDs, that's why I ask.

Jeff

I always leave the BIOS alone unless it needs to be updated for any new hardware support.

I would tend to agree with Jim. Leave the BIOS alone unless you have problems you want solved.And this advice is particularly true for the new Sandy Bridge mb.And no, it will not affect your FSX setup.Pierre(I have some experience with SB mb. Presently running with P8Z67V-Pro with original BIOS 0401 and working fine.However, my other P8P67Deluxe has been RMA'd 3 times now. Trying to get a good working mb...

Pierre

if it ain't broke - don't fix it. BIOS updates aren't like driver revisions - only do them if it fixes something that is broken.Altho you CAN update from within windows, it is generally not a good idea - any software glitch and you're dead. Your best bet is the flash utility built into the bios. Simple, fast and clean.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Windows 7 likes to freeze on startup, once every 5 boots or so, and after that my usb devices are reinstalled and I have to pull them out one by one and plug them back in, which is why I initially was considering updating the bios, as I have the latest USB drivers already installed. Thanks for the advice all.

Jeff

See if you have any power saving modes enabled for those ports.

Guest jahman

I always update my BIOS, but that's just me...Cheers,- jahman.

Guest firehawk44
I always update my BIOS, but that's just me...Cheers,- jahman.
I always update too as you'll see in the changelog each BIOS update fixes or enhances your system. I don't necessarily update immediately when a new BIOS comes out. Sometimes I wait for a couple of BIOS updates to be released first. This is absolutely the best site to get BIOS updates for ALL ASUS P67 MB's: http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/910402-asus-p67-series-information-thread-drivers.html . They also show the changelogs for each BIOS. When it enhances the speed of the ports or HD's or SSD's, etc., etc., I think it's a no-brainer. You bought a nice MB and you want to keep it without the latest fixes? I think a lot of people have issues with BIOS updates because it wipes out any BIOS setting you have including the ones you saved and, when you start up your system it crashes because you didn't get ALL the settings back to the way they were before the update. When it crashes, the first thought is "the BIOS didn't work for me! It made my system worse!" So, you want to make sure you have your BIOS settings written down somewhere because you'll have to reset everything. That's a pain but I think worth it in the long run. Because I have a flash drive, I download the BIOS, copy it to the flash drive, then update through the BIOS. Works like a charm! But I have also upgraded in Windows 7 through the ASUS AI Suite utility that comes with the boards.Best regards,Jim

See if you have any power saving modes enabled for those ports.
Good call, I'll check that out.

Jeff