Sign in to follow this  
EnglishRebel

FSX in Full Screen

Is it possible to run FSX in full screen? When I first installed and ran it I thought it was in full screen, but my shortcut only offers MINIMIZED and MAXIMIZED. The tool tray at the bottom is annoying.ThanksAlan

Of course it can run it full screen. Just start a flight and once its loaded hit the "Alt" key to bring up the pull down menu, then select "Views" and click on Full Screen. As long as you exit the flight in full screen mode it should also remain in full screen mode the next time you start FSX and begin a flight.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Of course it can run it full screen. Just start a flight and once its loaded hit the "Alt" key to bring up the pull down menu, then select "Views" and click on Full Screen. As long as you exit the flight in full screen mode it should also remain in full screen mode the next time you start FSX and begin a flight.
Thanks, I didn't think of doing that. I must have somehow changed the view to maximized while in FSX and when I exited it saved that setting.Alan

Thanks, I didn't think of doing that. I must have somehow changed the view to maximized while in FSX and when I exited it saved that setting.Alan
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I get better performance in full screen. I only use windowed when I'm adjusting settings in an aircraft.cfg, or checking CPU useage/temps.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I get better performance in full screen. I only use windowed when I'm adjusting settings in an aircraft.cfg, or checking CPU useage/temps.
That's why I run a Windows Classic Theme: Right-click on desktop -> Personalize...

Or you can set a shortcut to FSX.exe to disable Visual Themes (Right click the shortcut -> Properties...)But it still takes a small hit as opposed to the classic theme. With that I get the same performance in Windowed mode and in Full screen mode. There's still the Vsync issue in Windowed mode of course, where you need to edit the fsx.cfg to get it to work and then, performance is severely affected

When FSX starts, a box comes up saying Windows has switched to Basic Mode, which disables Aero and Themes. You should not need to turn them off.Switching to windowed mode disables hardware acceleration in the video card thus better performance (higher FPS) but can cause video problems on some computers.Dave

When FSX starts, a box comes up saying Windows has switched to Basic Mode, which disables Aero and Themes. You should not need to turn them off.Switching to windowed mode disables hardware acceleration in the video card thus better performance (higher FPS) but can cause video problems on some computers.Dave
I had no idea, thanks for the HU Dave

Actually, it disables anti-aliasing.. I believe..

Bert

Switching to windowed mode disables hardware acceleration in the video card thus better performance (higher FPS) but can cause video problems on some computers.Dave
No it doesn't. And even if it did that would mean worse performance. Also antialiasing works just fine in windowed mode unless you have some driver issues. I play FSX in windowed mode, resized to hide the borders (so it looks exactly like fullscreen) and it runs and looks exactly the same as fullscreen mode. YMMV.

Guest PFL

Holy cow what confusing mumbo jumboo here!Talking%20Ear%20Off.gifWhy run in Windowed mode, advantages, please?

Holy cow what confusing mumbo jumboo here!Talking%20Ear%20Off.gifWhy run in Windowed mode, advantages, please?
Multi-monitor use is enabled best in Windowed mode.Windowed mode uses the OS configured screen resolution.Fullscreen mode uses the FS configured screen resolution.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Okay, if you run in Windowed mode (Maximized as opposed to full screen), how do you get rid of the task bar -- auto hide maybe? One more dumb question but how do you start a flight with the plane at the hangar with all systems off (as you would in real life)? I checked all the options in the Free Flight window but only see Payload, Faults, Aircraft, Weather, Flight Plan, and Location.ThanksAlan

Yes, auto hide task bar, but I would run in full screen unless you have a real good reason not to.Set up a flight you always want to start with and everything off. Save the flight. When you load the flight, check the box "use as default". I use the default setup normally, but have several saved flights for special uses i.e. VOR traing, bad weather, etc.Dave