Sign in to follow this  
blackheart2502

HDR mod for FSX

It worked!!! Thanks for the help Toby!!!Hiram Hunt
Now you get to enjoy the best part of the ENB mod. TWEAKING it to look exactly the way you want :-)The good part is that it's really easy to tweak the settings and you dont have to exit and restart FSX to see the changes, you can tweak on the fly so to speak. All you need to do is go into windowed mode, open the ini, make the changes and save them, then go back into full screen mode and the new changes will be applied for you to see.I'll say this, the hardest part is getting the bloom and darkening amounts right so that the sky and white surfaces aren't too bright and the ground isn't too dark, like it would be on a cloudy day. Also watch out for the setting where you can force or turn on AA and AS filtering. Typically those are set to off, but some people who upload their settings have them turned on along. Once you get it set to something that looks real and I emphasize the word real because some people like to go way overboard with it, it really enhances the look of the sim. You can always try the ones by John at ORBX or Tim at REX and then modify their setting to tone it down a bit if you want, as well as turn off the setting to use the envmap file they sometimes include. You'll also want to try some different REX textures for your daytime sky since ENB can make those look different as well, depending on what type of look your going for.Anyway, have fun with it. It's probably one of the best looking things you can do for the sim to turn the sunlight and glare on in the daytime and for free!Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Any negitives? Ive been concidering giving this a go for about a year now, and now that I ditched my old 8800GTS for a GTX550ti, I'm wondering if this is really a must have?
Thanks to nick whom I talked to this morning I have had it running today during testing.It is very good, however the image is a little too dark and blurred for spot view in my opinion.. The great thing about it is i just press Shift+M and it goes on and off in a second in game no loading no stutter.:)

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Any negitives? Ive been concidering giving this a go for about a year now, and now that I ditched my old 8800GTS for a GTX550ti, I'm wondering if this is really a must have?
Yes, ENB will not work with the FPS limiter that many people are using or HIGHMEMFIX=1. It will also make FSX prone to crashing when you use Alt+Enter to exit from fullscreen too often.For those who use ENB, try the configuration that John Venema of Orbx posted online and fine tune from there.

Yes, ENB will not work with the FPS limiter that many people are using or HIGHMEMFIX=1. It will also make FSX prone to crashing when you use Alt+Enter to exit from fullscreen too often.For those who use ENB, try the configuration that John Venema of Orbx posted online and fine tune from there.
Ok, so it's not just me. Exactly those are the reasons why it's gone here

Thats a shame, as the FPS limiter is a must for me (Can't stand poping or stuttering) as well as the HIGHMEMFIX. I'll try experimenting with it though once I get home from work in 12 hours.

Allright first impressions after about an hour of flying with various planes at various times of the day with the ENB HDR mod. The J41 doesn't even look like the same plane. Much more "real". I thought it looked awsome before but now it's off the chain! So far my FPS just sits at 24 which is where I have the FSX limiter set. The Carenado F33 Bonanza is awsome!!! Gonna fly the A2A 377 next and see how it does. I'm going to mess around with a bunch of stuff to see what works. All the ground textures that used to flicker at the default airports are perfect now, all my REX2.0 surface textures showed up, and now all the lights on all the planes that don't have custom lights work and look better than ever. I don't know what this thing does code wise but it's like having a whole new simulator that works. I did try Alt+Enter at night to get a better screenshot and it worked. Then I switched views and everything went nuts. That was at night. I'll try it daytime and see what happens. I can't believe I almost didn't have this for the NGX!!! Bottom line, if you haven't tried this and you don't have some conflicting software reason not to try it, you don't know what you're missing!!!Hiram Hunt

Works perfectly with both the fps limiters and highmemfix. To get it to work with the .dll limiter, you have to run it through the enb's proxy function.

Allright first impressions after about an hour of flying with various planes at various times of the day with the ENB HDR mod. The J41 doesn't even look like the same plane. Much more "real". I thought it looked awsome before but now it's off the chain! So far my FPS just sits at 24 which is where I have the FSX limiter set. The Carenado F33 Bonanza is awsome!!! Gonna fly the A2A 377 next and see how it does. I'm going to mess around with a bunch of stuff to see what works. All the ground textures that used to flicker at the default airports are perfect now, all my REX2.0 surface textures showed up, and now all the lights on all the planes that don't have custom lights work and look better than ever. I don't know what this thing does code wise but it's like having a whole new simulator that works. I did try Alt+Enter at night to get a better screenshot and it worked. Then I switched views and everything went nuts. That was at night. I'll try it daytime and see what happens. I can't believe I almost didn't have this for the NGX!!! Bottom line, if you haven't tried this and you don't have some conflicting software reason not to try it, you don't know what you're missing!!!Hiram Hunt
Hiram, the flickering that you experienced and is now gone might simply have been caused by DX10 preview mode. If you get ENB working without crashes let us know.

Works perfectly with both the fps limiters and highmemfix. To get it to work with the .dll limiter, you have to run it through the enb's proxy function.
+1, have never had problems with combo ENB+FPS_Limiter

+1, have never had problems with combo ENB+FPS_Limiter
Thanks, with that information my work day is going to drag and drag and drag on :)

That sounds great! Didn't know that. Could you elaborate how to configure ENB to work with both? That would be most appreciated!

ENB mode will work with fps limiter, but the limiter will not work as well as it could, but still well enough that it will help rid your sim of the stutters and keep a fairly steady frame rate of 30fps (or which ever you desire).However, ENB certainly does not work with HIGHMEMFIX. It will cause a black screen of death in FSX. It is inevitable. If you fly with a program like say FSPassengers which requires you to access a menu at the end of your flight, there is an extremly high probability that when leaving the close out flight dialogue, the sim will never return, only stick at a black screen with the audio still running.ENB also will stutter if you are using an add-on that displays information in the green bar at the top of the sim, like the FS2Crew Voice Command. It also stutters when FSPassengers redraws its mini hud to display new information, like passengers scared because of weather or turbulence.The ENB does make the sky look great. It does a tremendous job getting light to interact with the clouds and other surfaces that should reflect and emit light, making the image much more natural, however it is uncontrollable. The same effect it also applied to the VC, which can make for some very unnatural looking VC views. Not such a big deal if say you are flying in the Level D 767 or the Leo Maddog MD80, whose VCs are very poor in quality, but it is not a pleasent sight in the something like the PMDG JS41 or the Real Air Duke.Also the ENB mod does not have the capability it seems to utilize the same config files to get realistic results in both day settings and night settings. I have never been able to get light which behaves correctly at night to then not completly wash out the screen during the daytimes.So, it is up to your mood. I have ran with ENB for quite a while, but got sick of the black screens and the general instability and I guess you can say "nerves" of flying in FSX knowing that I cannot access a single menu without significant risk of tanking the flight, so I have disabled it for a few months now.I would also add that I find the ENB mod to have some negative effects on the horizon. When adding effect to get the clouds to react nicely with the light, it tends to then exponentially effect the horizon, turning it quickly into a blob of light, as opposed to just a hazed out destination. But that again is the limitation of ENB and FSX for that matter. FSX has in no shape a model for atmospheric effects on visuals. Instead I rely on Active Sky to produce a more accurate looking horizon.So that is my two cents on the matter. ENB can make some stunning visuals, but it does come at a cost.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

The thing is Scott, your experiences aren't necessarily the same ones that others will have with the enb. I can tell you that I 100% do not have any black screen/crashing issues when using it with highmemfix, regardless of how many times I need to access menus or alt+tab during a flight. As far as any image problems go, again there are others (myself included) that have completely managed to configure the settings to provide a realistic image, both at day and during the night, without any anomalies. It's very unfortuante for those of you who do have unresolvable issues, but I think we'd all get bored of FS if everything always worked perfectly!You really get out of the ENB only what you're prepared to put in to configuring it. It's unfortunate that not everyone can come up with perfect settings, but it does take a hell of a lot of time to do. Of course the settings have to be tailored to an individuals personal preference of what looks realistic, monitor settings, as well as (most importantly) each sky texture that you use, as these will change the effects immensely. For this reason sharing .ini settings is virtually pointless unless the exact sky textures it was configured for are also shared. It does take a lot of work to get it configured, but is well worth it if you can find the time and energy to do so.

The thing is Scott, your experiences aren't necessarily the same ones that others will have with the enb. I can tell you that I 100% do not have any black screen/crashing issues when using it with highmemfix, regardless of how many times I need to access menus or alt+tab during a flight. As far as any image problems go, again there are others (myself included) that have completely managed to configure the settings to provide a realistic image, both at day and during the night, without any anomalies. It's very unfortuante for those of you who do have unresolvable issues, but I think we'd all get bored of FS if everything always worked perfectly!You really get out of the ENB only what you're prepared to put in to configuring it. It's unfortunate that not everyone can come up with perfect settings, but it does take a hell of a lot of time to do. Of course the settings have to be tailored to an individuals personal preference of what looks realistic, monitor settings, as well as (most importantly) each sky texture that you use, as these will change the effects immensely. For this reason sharing .ini settings is virtually pointless unless the exact sky textures it was configured for are also shared. It does take a lot of work to get it configured, but is well worth it if you can find the time and energy to do so.
Are you using ENB with FSX or FS9, because you have a FS9 link in your signature. Also, please share the PROXY part of your ini file. I like ENB, but I get the same problems that Scott described.